Swapped in a 2003 Mountaineer cluster into my 2003 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapped in a 2003 Mountaineer cluster into my 2003 Explorer

Christopher DeHart

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
I've been lurking for the past year and have used a lot of information from this forum to keep my Explorer going. Last weekend LKQ was running a 40% off labor day sale so I went and looked around. I found a 2003 Mountaineer with the message center cluster and thought that would be a cool upgrade for my basic XLT. After removing the cluster and switch panel from the left of the radio I headed home. I figured the easiest thing would be to just swap clusters and see what happens. As luck would have it the new cluster bolted in with no mods and there was already a harness dummy connected to the radio trim panel for the switch panel. I held my breath and turned on the key, and everything worked. All of the warning lights and gauges came on, and the switch panel for controlling the message center worked like expected. They only thing that's missing is the outside temp display, as I believe that would be displayed on the HVAC digital display which I don't have. Plus this cluster shows 50000 more miles than the truck actually has but I don't really care too much about that.

All in all I'm very happy with the results of this swap and the multiple additional features I now have with it. I may see if it's possible to get my temp display back but it's not a big deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 03 Explorer Limited and swapped in an 02 Mercury Mountaineer cluster. I had to make sure that the Mountaineer had 4x4 like mine and not AWD, so all the warning lights line up correctly. The mileage on the Mountaineer cluster carried over, but was close to mine anyway. Both have the information centre, and everything works, including the TPMS, that mine came with.
1FBE2D59-B462-41D2-933E-312F1B616D9C.jpeg
90CF61DE-A637-4E9F-A7DC-209CF76C131B.jpeg
1FBE2D59-B462-41D2-933E-312F1B616D9C.jpeg
90CF61DE-A637-4E9F-A7DC-209CF76C131B.jpeg
D2703682-A7E9-45C5-B33B-C57238C2E7D1.jpeg
ED9F8882-6147-4DEA-B16C-FDE5D3A36C53.jpeg
FB66F710-287E-4C0D-BC6A-BEFED4D0A2F1.jpeg

Is that something you would want to use the same year of mounty as the explorer or dose it matter?

Is that something you would want to use the same year of mounty as the explorer or dose it matter?

My Explorer is an 03. When I bought the cluster, the seller told me the year of the vehicle that it came out of. It was one year off from mine. I believe that it was from an 02. I definitely remember that it was a year off, but I don't recall 100% if it was an 02 or 04 Mounty cluster. My main concern was ensuring that it was a 4x4 Mounty. Many of them are AWD, and my Explorer is 4x4. If you get a cluster from a vehicle that isn't optioned the same as yours, the cluster/warning lights will light up in different/wrong locations. I also had to ensure that I got one with the message center, that mine came with- that was actually a critical requirement. The mileage displayed is the mileage that was on the Mounty, but it was close enough to my actual mileage that I'm not concerned about it. I will let any potential future owners know what the exact difference is.

Back