Swapping a manual engine into an automatic rig. Change electrical harness? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping a manual engine into an automatic rig. Change electrical harness?

Lesterclan

Reaction score
City, State
Olympic Foothills, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 4x4
Had a 1996 4.0 4x4 with manual trans / elect. t-case. It rolled :roll: and I got a 1996 4.0 with auto trans / elect. t-case. The new one has a blown engine. So I want to put the engine out of my rolled manual into the new auto rig. I had found a thread about going from auto to manual that the OP was talking about the two harnesses being different. Am I going to have to pull the auto harness from that engine and put it on my manual engine? I know I have to swap flywheels. Is there anything else that would need swapped? All data said the automatic uses a kick down cable but my manual throttle body doesnt have a provision for it. would I need to swap throttle bodies? I know that it would be easy to pull the cover off from the auto rigs throttle linkage, but its freezing outside and hope someone would already know. LOL. I look forward to any and all help here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

harnesses are different , engines are the same, it will bolt in and hook up properly, as the wiring differences are only due to the trans mission, all the engine sensors should be the same,,

Thanks

harnesses are different , engines are the same, it will bolt in and hook up properly, as the wiring differences are only due to the trans mission, all the engine sensors should be the same,,

That's partially what I figured (sensors/plugs being same) but also a huge bummer at the thought of de-tangling the mess of wires... UGH. Cant say I'm surprised really though. Do you know about the throttle body having to be switched or not?

aside from the linkage they should be the same too, just swap the one over from the other engine, it should be a direct bolt on,,

hopefully I will get some time to work on this in the next couple of days or over the weekend. I will keep progress reported. Thanks again for some clarification.

Late revival... Swapped the harness, left the throttle body after inspecting the two. With both engines side by side, the harness swap took maybe 20 minutes. Everything has been great! Until a couple of weeks ago when the torque converter went out and took the tranny with it... Now working on getting a new transmission to install and get her back on the road. Thanks for your help Corkey!

Back