Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Swapping a manual engine into an automatic rig. Change electrical harness?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Lesterclan, January 14, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Lesterclan

Lesterclan Member

City, State:
    Olympic Foothills, Washington
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 xlt 4x4
    Had a 1996 4.0 4x4 with manual trans / elect. t-case. It rolled :roll: and I got a 1996 4.0 with auto trans / elect. t-case. The new one has a blown engine. So I want to put the engine out of my rolled manual into the new auto rig. I had found a thread about going from auto to manual that the OP was talking about the two harnesses being different. Am I going to have to pull the auto harness from that engine and put it on my manual engine? I know I have to swap flywheels. Is there anything else that would need swapped? All data said the automatic uses a kick down cable but my manual throttle body doesnt have a provision for it. would I need to swap throttle bodies? I know that it would be easy to pull the cover off from the auto rigs throttle linkage, but its freezing outside and hope someone would already know. LOL. I look forward to any and all help here.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. corkey

corkey Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
    99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
    harnesses are different , engines are the same, it will bolt in and hook up properly, as the wiring differences are only due to the trans mission, all the engine sensors should be the same,,

4. Lesterclan

Lesterclan Member

City, State:
    1996 xlt 4x4
    Thanks

That's partially what I figured (sensors/plugs being same) but also a huge bummer at the thought of de-tangling the mess of wires... UGH. Cant say I'm surprised really though. Do you know about the throttle body having to be switched or not?

5. corkey

corkey Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
    99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
    aside from the linkage they should be the same too, just swap the one over from the other engine, it should be a direct bolt on,,

6. Lesterclan

Lesterclan Member

City, State:
    1996 xlt 4x4
    hopefully I will get some time to work on this in the next couple of days or over the weekend. I will keep progress reported. Thanks again for some clarification.

7. Lesterclan

Lesterclan Member

City, State:
    1996 xlt 4x4
    Late revival... Swapped the harness, left the throttle body after inspecting the two. With both engines side by side, the harness swap took maybe 20 minutes. Everything has been great! Until a couple of weeks ago when the torque converter went out and took the tranny with it... Now working on getting a new transmission to install and get her back on the road. Thanks for your help Corkey!

We Support Our Troops!