Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

swapping out the EATC

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by thor1701, September 7, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    Tags:
    1. thor1701

thor1701 Active Member

City, State:
      fresno ca
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 EB
      i have a 96 eddie Bauer and it has the digital EATC controls, it finally died completely, i was wondering if i can switch it out with a different one? the one i need is expensive, for me at least, but i found one that is cheaper, it's the same thing, the only difference is on mine where it says "rear fan off" this one has the button "outside temp" other then that it's just the same, i really don't care too much about the rear fan, but i was wondering if this would work as well? it has all the same connectors in the back that my current one has

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. thor1701

thor1701 Active Member

City, State:
      fresno ca
      96 EB
      anyone? anyone at all know???

4. Accarguy

Accarguy Active Member

City, State:
      Chicago, IL
      2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD
      Id say if you want to try it go ahead, but I would think that even though the outside is almost the same, the inside may be a bit different.
      If it was me I would just get the right one.
      Also what are the symptoms of it? Are you sure that is your issue?

5. thor1701

thor1701 Active Member

City, State:
      fresno ca
      96 EB
      first off, the compressor would not turn on, found out it was because the solder on the relay was old or whatever, found this in another thread, i fixed it once before a while back, but alas, didn't want to work this time, and just for good measure, i have checked all other possible issues, also the digital display is no longer working, has not been for a while, i think that was due to a solder problem as well because when i used to play around with it by kinda bending the board it would come back on
      anyways i would rather not spend 100 bucks or more on another one

6. crunchie_frog

crunchie_frog Active Member

City, State:
      Johnson City, TN
      Multiple 99-00 5.0 AWD
      You may know this, but the blower motor resistor units are different for the EATC and manual controls. I cannot say for certain that the EATC resistor will not work but I would not be surprised if it did not.