1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Swapping Thermostat...

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by nnnick, September 16, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. nnnick

nnnick Active Member

City, State:
      Sandusky, Ohio
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      95 Sport (Expedition)
      I did a search but didnt quite find what im looking for. Im only 17 and kind new to messing with engines, but i figure the only way to learn is to start doing stuff on my own. I ordered a 160 degree thermostat off ebay, and well it didnt come wiht instructions. Hmmm. Can someone help me out keeping in mind im not too good with engines. I have a 95 Sport with the 4.0 v6 in it. I read in a search you should flush out the engine? Exactly what is that and how do i do it? Thanks for all your help. -nick

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      Whenever I do a cooling system work on my truck I do a few things. I check the hoses, make sure they're not leaking. Then I buy a bottle of the Prestone fuel system flush and run it through there, then I change the thermostat and refill with the right mixture of fluid.

Also, I would certainly not put that 160 degree thermostat in your engine. It's going to hurt your gas mileage and performance. Go buy what Ford recommends for the engine which is something like 190 degrees.

4. nnnick

nnnick Active Member

City, State:
      Sandusky, Ohio
      95 Sport (Expedition)
      the guy selling it says "cooler running engine, better gas mileage, improved throttle response" and your telling me it will make it all worse? Ive read a couple people here have 180 degree thermostats. Hmmm. I hope i didnt just buy this part for nothing :(

5. Jason_25

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      A cooler running engine is going to be less efficient. Many people have told me that modern engines actually benfefit by running hotter. I've found that it's not a good idea to go messing around with what Ford recommends for the vehicle, because most of the time they end up being right. :(

If you want better performance, a thermostat certainly isn't the way to go about it, I would be glad to give you some pointers on what you can do for better performance though.

6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Kelseyville, CA
      '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
      Unless you have done modifications to your computer that will make use of a 160 degree thermostat, everything Jason_25 posted is correct. Ford designed your engine to work at its peak efficiency with 190 degree thermostat. Unless you have modified it, that is what it needs.

7. nnnick

nnnick Active Member

City, State:
      Sandusky, Ohio
      95 Sport (Expedition)
      actually i have planned an intake soon (a month) and then a diablo chip, free flowing cat back exhaust, and spark plug wires and new spark plugs. any of those bad ideas also? argh i cant believe i just wasted 30 bucks on something that will make my engine suck even more. hahah o well, live and learn. thanks for telling me not to install it.

8. Jason_25

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      30 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! Yes you definitely got kinda ripped off on that one. If I remember correctly, the last one I bought was around 3 bucks.

All those mods seem to be a good choice. Although I recommend you get a set of high quality plug wires and OE motorcraft platinum plugs. Also check the group buy section for a custom programmed chip for only 210 to your door.........

9. Explorerinma

Explorerinma B

City, State:
      Boston, Ma
      2002 Explorer XLT
      If you want the engine to run cooler then get a 180 degree thermostat. The 160 is too cool. No you don't need to get the stock Ford thermostat either. 180 will decrease the engine temp and will not hurt gas mileage or anything else. Also just get a Stant thermostat. They are like 10 bucks. You could even get a thermo stat from www.jetchip.com. So if you can return the $30 thermostat that would be good. Once you do that just email me and I can tell you how to put it in, or just go out and buy a Hayne's or Chilton's repair manual and they will tell you how. Hope that helped