• Register Today It's free!

SWAY BAR mount bolts...and holes

theviper90210

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
ok the other day when i changed my front sway bar bushings with ES bushing, i starting putting the screws back in the brackets that screw in the frame, but i was stupid and shot the screws in with the air ratchet, and the screws starting going in but got tough and werent going all the way, so i backed them out and said Sh*t, i had soso re-threaded the screws, so that ment the the hole in the frame was screwed too, so i called someone to see what they thought i should do, and they told me to go ahead and get the screws back in a much as possible, and we can use a rethreader later, so i put them in and have been driving and its ok, but since its not sealed off the way the bushing are squeking. SO anyways what im asking is will rethreading the holes and the bolts, be ok? just wanted someone opinion, so i dont possibly mess it up more..

-THANKS GUYS

EDIT- i ment to say re-tap the holes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

come on guys, will it be ok to rethread the holes, i mean i think it would be ok, and it would make it mount flush again

tape and die baby

its up to you if it will work or not. Yes its fixable.

Guys Please Will Retaping The Holes Be The Right Thing To Do

Thats not really to much else you could do. I know on mine it would be a pain in the ass to get that nut out of the frame. I would just do as Creager said above.

i guess i dont understand what Creager said, but couldnt i jsut re-tap the nut straight though the hole, no reason to take the nut ou right?, would this work

Sway bar? What's a sway bar?

Yes it's fine to re-tap a hole. Thats why they make tap and die sets. Just make sure you use the right and one DONT break the tap in the hole. It will take a very expensive drill bit to go through that.

Thanks vanquish i appreacite it, yea ill be careful

Viper, how did your re-tapping of the stripped nut turn out?

I too installed a set of the Energy Suspension bushings Monday, and the threaded portion of the captured nut seems to be quite long. I believe there's plenty of threads for the bolt to grab onto, once you get them straightened out. I used a dab of anti-seize on mine, to make disassembly easier next time.

The stock bushings on mine were hardened from age, and one side was throwing out a rusty colored 'dust'. The front end now feels much firmer and smoother, with the poly bushings installed.
:thumbsup:

I would re-tap the holes. I have tap and die set that I use all the time. If any nuts or bolts need attention I can quickly chase them and get them straightened out. I would recommend that if you do cross thread something in the future that you don't force the bolt in any further. Doing so will cause the subsequent taping to remove more material than is necessary. Anyway you have not choice but to tap out the threads and chase the bolts with a die. When you tighten them you will be able to see if they are too far gone (sloppy fit).. In this case you could just get a heli-coil insert to repair the damage. But as others have mentioned you sway bars are not critical compenents and only enhance the road manners of your vehicle. They actually hinder offroad performance by limiting articulation.

hey thanks for the info DeRocha, it will come in handy, yea i havent done the taping yet, im going to do it prob a week from sat, cause ill be out of town, but ill let you guys know how it turns out, THANKS alot for yalls help

Back