• Register Today It's free!

Sway Bar Opinions

crashhard

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Sport 4x4
For those out here running a gen 1 with TTB... Do you run both front and rear sway bars? How bad does body roll get in rear without.

My build does have new deavers (G50e) and I haven't been able to test yet.

This is the first TTB truck and explorer I've built and this will not be a daily driver. Very limited road use and will be used as crawler and pre-runner. The Rangers i have built I ran zero sway bars without issue.

Just wondering what people are doing. I can set up as quick disco, but if not needed I would just delete.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear sway bar is usually a throwaway. Most people don't even notice it's gone. Different story on front sway bars. With a TTB, it feels downright rollercoaster-scary without those. :eek:

I'll echo what MrQ said. I tossed my rear sway bar when I did the SOA. Barely noticed it was gone. Even had rear shock mounts break and not notice it significantly either.

I would go short distances on the highway without the front sway bar connected, but preferred to have it connected.

no sway bars for me not for years but Im driving a BII and my TTB is wider then stock.
I have Skyjacker leafs/coils with Rancho 9000s shocks, springs are soft and the stocks are stiff.
I also have no body lift and I keep everything down low (no tires on the roof, etc)
It works well for me! My BII body rolls in the corners pretty good enough that I can lift a front tire...but it handles it like a champ

Rear sway bar is usually a throwaway. Most people don't even notice it's gone. Different story on front sway bars. With a TTB, it feels downright rollercoaster-scary without those. :eek:

I had my passenger side endlink break, thus making it useless. On the interstate doing 75mph, it was like driving a boat. Switching lanes would make it sway. Driving over a small bump like a bridge would make it bounce. Around town, and at lower speeds, not so noticeable.

I’m rebuilding my from TTB right now and was wondering if I could delete front sway bar all together and add a shock absorber and rig it up there in the frame, would that do the same job as having the sway bar ?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, the swaybar is designed to connect one arm to the other with the frame as a brace pivot point so when one arm goes up the other goes down to counteract the sway.

Adding another shock helps a bit but does not replace the anti sway effect of a true swaybar.

I drive 60+miles a day. No sway bars. 3” soft ride suspension lift. I run 35psi front and 30psi rear to balance it out as opposed to the stock 26psi all the way around. Just gotta use caution on clover leaf ramps and roundabouts

I have never driven a ttb with a sway bar, suck it up buttercup!!!!

I have never driven a ttb with a sway bar, suck it up buttercup!!!!
If you are comfortable running a TTB like that, ok, but don't deride us for deciding to use swaybars on lifted vehicles with an already high center of gravity while doing 60-70mph on the freeway.

If I see a first gen careening around like drunk man, I'll make sure to give you a wide berth.

If you are comfortable running a TTB like that, ok, but don't deride us for deciding to use swaybars on lifted vehicles with an already high center of gravity while doing 60-70mph on the freeway.

If I see a first gen careening around like drunk man, I'll make sure to give you a wide berth.

I’m just having some fun

But being serious, the op stated it would be a primary trail rig and most replies here are advising to leave it on. I don’t agree with that, I would advise to disconnect it and wire tie it out of the way and drive it for a couple days or a month.

Both TTB rigs no front or rear sway bars.

1995 bronco with 5.5” lift deaver, softer then stock. I let my wife drive it on the street.

1997 explorer with 1993 front TTB and 4” Rancho Bronco/f150 coils, stiff compared to some others. I only drive it on the street.

Never put sway bars back on while running the 4" lift coils and was fine. Inside tire would lift at accelerated corners and wasn't too scary. Ive had long travel trucks a few times and you just get used to it. And like stated before. This is not daily driver, fun to drive around and mostly on trailer to desert.

Now that the coilovers are up front the body roll is insane on street. Still need to play with some and get final adjustments to dual rate spring crossover stop.

Never put sway bars back on while running the 4" lift coils and was fine. Inside tire would lift at accelerated corners and wasn't too scary. Ive had long travel trucks a few times and you just get used to it. And like stated before. This is not daily driver, fun to drive around and mostly on trailer to desert.

Now that the coilovers are up front the body roll is insane on street. Still need to play with some and get final adjustments to dual rate spring crossover stop.

I know you are coilover and I’m just standard coils. From my experience with the leverage effect of the TTB that body roll with soft springs of 250lbs an inch was only a little worse then the 435lb an inch springs at the same lift height.

I then started researching shock valving. For my front shocks I ran Bilstein 5100 rear shocks meant for a 05 F350. In my research I found the valving on them is roughly 180/70. Stock valving on the Chevy duramax is in the pic

D3544EEA-5C2D-4327-9AFD-33833BA6C4BE.png

Telling me that our TTB (ifs) need a very stiff valve shock.

You may need spring rate (bottom out to easy) our you might need to revalve. If you hit a bump at 50 plus and it makes the truck scrimish I would stiffen the valving.

Also what is in the rear?

I have just finished my dual shocks in the front, both 180/70 ish so 360/140 together. If it compresses in the front the opposite corner will rebound. I plan on using 2003 f350 6” lift front Bilstein 5100 shocks for my rear. They are roughly 225/80 and roughly 16” compressed and 26” extended

On my latest explorer that I just got recently, is lifted and on 33's. The PO took the sway bar off because he utilized the lower sway bar mount for a shock mount. I drove it around a few times up to highway speeds and I wasn't a fan of there not being a sway bar present. It reminded me of my days driving a semi fight a heavy side wind or driving around in construction sites bouncing around.

I reinstalled the sway bar with extended links and a steering stabilizer and it has cleaned up a great deal. I think this is honestly a case by case basis and how a person uses their vehicle to determine the need for a sway bar or not.

Whatever you decide, just be safe doing it.

[QUOTE = "mr cribb, post: 3749653, member: 162646"] No meu mais recente explorador que acabei de obter recentemente, é levantado e em 33's. O PO retirou a barra de oscilação porque ele utilizou o suporte inferior da barra oscilante para montar um amortecedor. Eu dirigi em torno de algumas vezes até a velocidade da estrada e eu não era um fã de lá não ser um presente de balanço. Isso me lembrou dos meus dias dirigindo um semi lutar contra um vento lateral pesado ou dirigindo em locais de construção saltando ao redor.

Eu reinstalei a barra estabilizadora com links estendidos e um estabilizador de direção e limpou um ótimo negócio. Eu acho que isso é honestamente caso a caso e como uma pessoa usa seu veículo para determinar a necessidade de uma barra de oscilação ou não.

Seja o que for que você decida, apenas seja seguro fazê-lo. [/ QUOTE]

Please Photo!

71EA688F-8F54-41D1-9738-9EC668CA5BE0.jpeg
BAD580FF-28C2-4BD9-B115-D72E49A8562F.jpeg
[QUOTE = "mr cribb, post: 3749653, member: 162646"] No meu mais recente explorador que acabei de obter recentemente, é levantado e em 33's. O PO retirou a barra de oscilação porque ele utilizou o suporte inferior da barra oscilante para montar um amortecedor. Eu dirigi em torno de algumas vezes até a velocidade da estrada e eu não era um fã de lá não ser um presente de balanço. Isso me lembrou dos meus dias dirigindo um semi lutar contra um vento lateral pesado ou dirigindo em locais de construção saltando ao redor.

Eu reinstalei a barra estabilizadora com links estendidos e um estabilizador de direção e limpou um ótimo negócio. Eu acho que isso é honestamente caso a caso e como uma pessoa usa seu veículo para determinar a necessidade de uma barra de oscilação ou não.

Seja o que for que você decida, apenas seja seguro fazê-lo. [/ QUOTE]

Please Photo!

That looks like a steering stabilizer?

I made a set of quick disconnects by cutting the OEM links in half, fitting them inside tubing and using hitch pins for the connections. Worked great for many years and only took a few minutes to unpin, pin. Without the sway bar, my TTB was prone to death wobble oscillations on the highway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

º
[QUOTE = "MrQ, post: 3749792, member: 91266"] Parece um estabilizador de direção? [/ QUOTE]

obrigado

Back