• Register Today It's free!

Switch for amplifier

underdog1799

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
So currently i have my amplifier and sub installed, and i have an FM modulator so i can plug my ipod in. I am using the FM modulator switch to turn my amp on and off as well. I do want to make a dedicated switch for the amp, so i went and bought a switch. I figured i could tap into the cigarette lighter as my power and ground and then just run the remote wire to the load on the switch. I did so, but the illumination light got really really hot. I'm thinking that the amperage is too high. Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? The switch i got was a 10 amp 120 watt mini rocker switch. Any help would be great!

I'm assuming you connected the Amp turn on wire to the switch (thats how I read your post) If so, you did it right. Many of the illuminated switches can get quite warm. The newer ones use an LED instead of a normal bulb and don't get hot.

To verify its the light on the switch causing the heat, disconnect the wire from the amp to the switch and turn on the switch. It should still get warm/hot if its the switch/light causing the issue.

~Mark

It not necessarily the amp remote switch load that i'm worried about. I'm worried about the 25 amp cigarette lighter circuit that i connected the switch to. Would that cause a fire or any wire damage?

The Cig lighter is fused, so if you put too much of a load on it, it'll just pop the fuse..

However, Now I'm not sure of what your doing.

The way I envision what your trying to do is to run a power wire to the Amp power connection that is not switched. It will always have 12V and will be your high power connection for the amp.

Now take the amp turn on lead, connect it to the switch and that switch is connected to the cig lighter. Now, when you flip the switch your sending 12v from the cig lighter to the amp turn on which will turn on the amp. That turn on wire pulls very little power.

Your first post said the switch was getting hot. My answer to that is to find out if it is actually the switch that is causing that. To do that, just have the 12v input to the switch connected and nothing on the output. If it still gets hot, its just the kind of light that is in the switch.

~Mark

Back