Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Switch lighting?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by dr fildo, November 12, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Tags:
  1. dr fildo

dr fildo Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1999 Mercury Mounaineer
    Are the bulbs that light the rear de-fogger and the fog light switches on the right of the dash, just to the right of the radio, on a '99 replaceable, or would I have to get new switches?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    The bulbs are replaceable, but new bulbs will not be green, You need to remove the switch and take the old bulb out, They twist in, They're a very small specialty bulb. I bought some new bulbs from autoilluminations.com. I don't recall the bulb number (T8 or T10 maybe?). I'll warn you that the autoilluminations catalog is difficult to navigate. They do offer colored silicon bulb caps now.

Did you know your headlight switch also has a bulb? They're always burn out because they're on all the time.

Last edited: November 13, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    98 supercharged 347 sport
    the other thing you can do if your good with a soldering iron is get some 3mm or 5mm led's and resistors and put led's into them. you would have to find which is positive or negative to do this. you can also change your lighting to what ever colour you want. i did this with mine probably 10 years ago, and changed all the dash and switch lighting to blue. havent had one burn out yet

5. dr fildo

dr fildo Member

1999 Mercury Mounaineer
    No one?

6. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    I already told you that the bulbs are replaceable.

Remove the radio, remove the radio bezel, unplug all the electrical connectors, unscrew the offending switch, look for a small twist out bulb base and turn it 1/4 turn to remove it. The base is part of the bulb. I've found replacement bulbs with the base, but some just find the bulb and reuse the old base, but that requires soldering.

In the pic below (not the clearest) note the small round circle near the left top front of each switch. That's the bulb.
    [​IMG]

The bulb needed looks like the image below, not sure about which size. They are listed ad T5, T3 and T4 (left to right) and are available in LED or incandescent bulbs.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Instrument Panel Gauge Dashboard Colored Led Bulbs Lights Lamps

Last edited: November 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dr fildo

dr fildo Member

1999 Mercury Mounaineer
    Sorry, I was having trouble with the website on my phone. Can't thank you enough.