SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update - dealership tech has confirmed a draw of 0.09 amps from the radio even after the car has gone to sleep. Has anyone else checked this or are there any tips?

Update - dealership tech has confirmed a draw of 0.09 amps from the radio even after the car has gone to sleep. Has anyone else checked this or are there any tips?
I don't recall that ever being posted here but both the radio and Homelink buttons always have power going to them and can be used without turning the ignition ON. I'm guessing the power is required by the radio to keep the clock and other saved memories alive. I would think it's normal.

Peter

When programming the APIM on a Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade, you only need to program the APIM with as built data from a similarly equipped Ex that comes with Sync 3 correct? The rest of the modules are to be left alone? My APIM off my 2014 Ex xlt only has addresses 7d0-01-01 to 7D0-04-02. Looking at the newer Ex's, I see they have instructions all the way out to 7D0-07-04. How are you guys successfully blending the data between the as builts? Are you guys just using the newer as built and then troubleshooting problems as you find them or are you using your original as built data for the module addresses for the ranges that exist in both apim's and then the newer as built for the rest of the range that didn't exist in the original data?

thanks again for any advice.

apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered already. My search fu is weak.

If this should be its on thread, i'll gladly move it.

thanks again.

@beatstanfurd you are correct in the process. Just map the fields that changed from your original as-built and one from the newer vehicle. That will get you 98%-100% there depending on your needs. If you run into a jam, ask away!

There are two different mounting styles for screens, and your brackets will not fit onto your new screen if you get the wrong one. Explorer owners need a Sync 3 touchscreen with a part number ending in -SC, otherwise you may have to modify your brackets.

Wish I had read this more closely. I just got my sync 3 screen and apim. Unfortunately, my screen part number ends with -SB and the sides of the screen does not have the indent. If my existing brackets off the MFT will not fit the sync 3 screen, I imagine I'll have to enlarge the mount holes in the bracket. Won't know probably till after Thanksgiving, the explorer is at Ford getting warranty/recall work done.

So, after finding this thread, and scouring over other similar threads from 2gfusions and 6gmustangs, I took a chance and found a new Sync 3 APIM (non-navi) with screen on eBay to replace my 2015 Sync 2. While I couldn't verify the part number with any diagrams, it had the stepped side, so i risked the purchase (knowing I could probably resell it if necessary). It turned out to be a perfect fit, after I swapped my Sync 2 brackets.

Thanks to UPS, I had a few extra days to wait for my ELM327 cable to arrive, but being my impatient self, I figured I could at least test fit it and see what happened. I was surprised that it worked right out of the box (with some minor issues). Radio came to life, climate control worked, phone, settings, etc, all seemed to be good. Navigation showed a fault (but that was because it was a non-navi version) and I didn't have my heated/cooled seats and steering wheel controls, but I could experiment.

Fast forward 3 days and I finally get my programmer, load up FORSCAN and work through programming. Now, I'm fairly adept at tech, so this wasn't really a challenge for me, although it still took some trial and error to get things right. Ultimately, I have everything working, but have noticed a couple of issues that hopefully can be addressed.

Somehow during the programming today, I lost the ability for the E-911 from my phone. Normally when you pair a compatible phone, the system asks if you want to turn E-911 on. This was working throughout the week until I started reprogramming today.

Also, my Entertainment option on the IPC used to have an option to select bluetooth devices when connected, now it no longer does so.

Any ideas from those who've programmed before?

I have yet to test the Apple CarPlay as I am waiting for the USB hub to arrive. Once that's there I will test that and report back if there are any issues.

I have to count myself as very lucky, as all in I am under $400 for all my pieces. It can be done by yourself a lot more cost effectively than the kit solutions online ($1200++) as long as you do the research. Boards like these are truly very helpful and great sources of information to help get you through.

I did this in a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport a few months ago, wish I saw this forum awhile ago. All is working well. I actually just updated my steering wheel to a 2017 Platinum but am waiting on the SCCM Module so I can program the steering wheel buttons to function properly. Also plan on adding the heated steering wheel. I have all the parts but have to figure out the wiring and all.

Since this thread is so long, could we get the first post updated, or a new post made here, that summarizes the parts (with part numbers if possible) that it would take to accomplish what the Title of the thread is: Sync 3 in a 2016 explorer.

Also, does upgrading from Sync 2 to Sync 3 do anything to the SOUND QUALITY of the stereo? Or does it sound the same as with Sync 2.

Many thanks!

Just going to pile on to the success list here, I've upgraded my 16 Explorer Sport to Sync 3 and it is working perfectly, just like a 2017 model. Only thing was I bought the wrong screen originally.

There are two different mounting styles for screens, and your brackets will not fit onto your new screen if you get the wrong one. Explorer owners need a Sync 3 touchscreen with a part number ending in -SC, otherwise you may have to modify your brackets.

All the Ford part numbers I used:
USB Hub: HU5Z-19A387-A
Screen: GB5T-18B955-SC
APIM: HB5T-14G370-FCD

Hey all...joined late in the game as I bought a 2016 Explorer Limited used (5k miles!) thinking it had SYNC 3. Well, I have found the APIM, Screen and hub for under $500 (non nav) and just had a few questions about part numbers.

• I understand there are a few generations of APIM out there. Should I worry about that?
  • Does it matter what model the APIM came from other than programming?
  • Any guides for connecting to and programming these? I am an IT guy who hasn't done this before.

Thanks!!

Since this thread is so long, could we get the first post updated, or a new post made here, that summarizes the parts (with part numbers if possible) that it would take to accomplish what the Title of the thread is: Sync 3 in a 2016 explorer.

Also, does upgrading from Sync 2 to Sync 3 do anything to the SOUND QUALITY of the stereo? Or does it sound the same as with Sync 2.

Many thanks!

The sound quality is the same however SYNC 3 will also play lossless FLAC/ALAC audio files and these can sound much better.

Has anyone been successful in adapting the Sync 3 screen ending with -SB for the Explorer? I didn't realize that I needed the -SC part before ordering off of eBay. I'd prefer not modifying my mounting brackets in case I need to reinstall the MFT for warranty or any other service at the dealership.

Does anyone have an extra set of mounting brackets that will work in a '14 Explorer? Or an extra Sync 3 screen with correct -SC part number? If you do, please let me know if you are interested in selling.

Thanks

Has anyone been successful in adapting the Sync 3 screen ending with -SB for the Explorer? I didn't realize that I needed the -SC part before ordering off of eBay. I'd prefer not modifying my mounting brackets in case I need to reinstall the MFT for warranty or any other service at the dealership.

Does anyone have an extra set of mounting brackets that will work in a '14 Explorer? Or an extra Sync 3 screen with correct -SC part number? If you do, please let me know if you are interested in selling.

Thanks

My suggestion would be to use Plumbing Strap and fashion your own, or buy brackets on eBay. Personally, once the Sync3 is in, you won’t be pulling it out. Perhaps just mod the existing ones.

Hey guys, I have a question here regarding getting new NAVI maps data for SYNC 3.
Does anybody know how it works? (I remember Ford noticed updates over Wi-Fi)
It was easy with SYNC 2, just plug in new SD card with new NAVI maps and you are good to go. Since Ford tries to make money on us, original SD cards are freaking expensive, but you could go e-Bay route and buy it cheap.
So, what about SYNC 3?

That is what I got on web site:

Thank you for your interest in a navigation update for your SYNC 3 system.
Please contact your dealer to purchase an update today
This product is not available on our webstore. To locate a dealer, click here.

If I understand Jason correctly and from what I have seen, a vehicle owner with SYNC 3 that wants the map update will pay the dealer for a software license. Then you will get a site to go to & login credentials that you use to pair with your VIN and you will be able to download a new map version.

My sources at CAP say there are no more media forms such as USB drives, SD cards, or DVD's, it's all software downloads. Nothing people can copy and sell on eBay.

Once again the dealers are completely misinformed, my dealer has no idea.

OASIS Broadcast Message from today: (please note I removed some content related directly to dealer instructions)

Apr 16 2018 6360 - 2016-2017 Various Vehicles - SYNC 3 Navigation Map Updates

Map Upgrades are now available for 2016-2017 Ford and Lincoln vehicles built with SYNC 3 Navigation. The navigation map upgrade for SYNC 3 systems is accomplished with a Universal Serial Bus (USB) drive. The USB drive required to perform map updates can be ordered from the Ford Electronic Service Group. The SYNC 3 navigation map upgrade is currently offered as a customer pay upgrade (non warrantable) and a dealer only installation. This navigation map upgrade only covers US/Canada/Mexico.

Your VIN and ESN from the APIM are required. The update is locked to the APIM ESN and can not be used on other units. If you did a retrofit to SYNC3 nav and provide your vin, the ordering system will puke it back out as invalid.

OASIS Broadcast Message from today: (please note I removed some content related directly to dealer instructions)

Apr 16 2018 6360 - 2016-2017 Various Vehicles - SYNC 3 Navigation Map Updates

Map Upgrades are now available for 2016-2017 Ford and Lincoln vehicles built with SYNC 3 Navigation. The navigation map upgrade for SYNC 3 systems is accomplished with a Universal Serial Bus (USB) drive. The USB drive required to perform map updates can be ordered from the Ford Electronic Service Group. The SYNC 3 navigation map upgrade is currently offered as a customer pay upgrade (non warrantable) and a dealer only installation. This navigation map upgrade only covers US/Canada/Mexico.

So my CAP sources were a little off there is an actual USB drive that is purchased not just software. But it is locked to your vehicle which negates selling a bunch of them on eBay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My suggestion would be to use Plumbing Strap and fashion your own, or buy brackets on eBay. Personally, once the Sync3 is in, you won’t be pulling it out. Perhaps just mod the existing ones.

Tried to source the brackets alone, but either none are available on eBay or my googlefu is weak. I did find another screen ending with -SC on eBay, so I'll turn around and sell my -SB screen. From what I can tell, G2GT-18B955-SC is from an Edge. The following link has a breakdown of what cars have which screens: Replacement Touchscreen Assembly for SYNC 3.

Back