SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

I am not about to list what I paid because I will be excommunicated from the forum. I am having issues. My wife has a 2013 Limited. Came with nav and everything. Heated and cooled seats heated steering wheel rear A/C and NONE of that stuff is working I bought a non nav unit and I know I need to get it up to 2.2 so I can android auto but I don't know why it no bolger shows the temp for either side up front, does not change temp for either side. Ambient lights menu comes up but does not respond. Sync buttons stopped working only volume control on the steering wheel. Rear AC controls do not work at all on screen or behind me manually. HELP ME!!!!! If I can't get heated seats and steering wheel to work again this wont be worth it.
BTW this is a sync 3 upgrade. It had sync 2.

Can you take/post a pic of your APIM settings in FORScan? That will help to see what each line is set to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ It may be helpful to mention that the APIM came from a Focus. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Peter

What does not work rear heat AC controls. Don't respond on screen or on rear control
AC does not show temp per side but seems to respond
Heated steering wheel not responding
Heated cooled seats not responding
Steering wheel controls right side up down left right OK works for right screen dash, volume controls work. All other sync related controls don't work sync 3 1.0 (waiting for download with vin of donor car. Here are my SYNC 3 APIM as built codes
7D0-01-01 AA08 E103 0E7D
7D0-01-02 008B 1240 02B9
7D0-02-01 5553 0106 40C9
7D0-02-02 8200 0000 40C9
7D0-02-03 0000 DC
7D0-03-01 0002 0000 00DD
7D0-04-01 0100 0000 0BE8
7D0-04-02 0001 DE
7D0-05-01 17E8 1798 28B3
7D0-05-02 BE9C
7D0-06-01 805E
7D0-07-01 1004 3300 0026
7D0-07-02 0000 1356 0049
7D0-07-03 0004 3067 007C
7D0-07-04 7254

I have updated some of this andsteeringwheelcontrols work now for rear climate to do more than appear on screen. And heated and cooled seats. Then sync 3 to download. Ford said to check my email ina few min. That was hours ago. Later said not currently available try again later. Just tried again a few min ago says check your emailing a few min. Used vin fromdonor car

Ir ALL WORKS NOW YAY. It required a reset of some modules and a reset of network modules which bombed according to ForScan but it allworks now. Now I just need to get the 3.0 update and I will have google maps on the screen. I do have a hub question. I have one is it any 12v supply? Or is it a particular pin out an needs to be 5v? If so which pins on my current hub? Im gonna put this one in the console inside of it jus drimmel out a hole.
$20 (not $200 $20 for a computer module. LCD was busted but digitizer was fine $50 for a parts only Sync 3 screen no ribbon cable for LCD and broken bad chipped digitizer. Frankenstined the 2 and now it works. I officially hold the record for the cheapest Sync 3 conversion now. $14.99 for GPS antenna, $6.xx for the hub and USB cables. $8 for 4 trips to the yard

Did you buy the new USB hub? That is what you need for CarPlay.

Ford sync 2 brackets can be swapped to sync 3 no problem. There are however two types of Sync 3 screens and you'll need to get the correct one for your vehicle. One out of any of the 2017 ford trucks should be the correct one for the explorer. Mine is out of an F250.

I have a 2014 Explorer Limited with Sync2 and have a few questions while I consider an upgrade to Sync3.
1. What are the necessary tools (hardware and software) necessary to program this if I purchase a Sync3 Nav APIM off of ebay?.
2. What Sync 3 screen to avoid? [Lexingtonian above posted that out of 2 screens only one works]
3. I find Sync2 acceptable, everything works and very rarely, it crashes (in 5years it crashed twice but was ok after reboot) so its ok
4. Given above, is the Sync3 upgrade worth it? What are the big advantages Sync 3 over Sync 2? I need to weigh this against the cost+effort+risk of doing the upgrade
5. I find Sync3 starting on 2016 model year vehicles. Are 2016 Sync3 hardware obsolete and to be avoided?.
6. One concern I have is that there is so much functionality packed into my current Sync2 that I am worried if every little thing works as it should after the upgrade.
7. For Carplay, I am seeing 2 types of interfaces. One with a single USB slot and another with 2 USB slots. Is there a difference and which one should we get?.

Loving my Ford Explorer. What an amazing vehicle!. Except for that pesky driver seat creak.

Excited to announce that I bought a Sync3 APIM+Screen hs7t-14g370-gcc with nav for about $400. I will have it in hand in a week or two. I intend to replace my current Sync 2 on 2014 Explorer limited with this hs7t-14g370-gcc (from Fusion). I guess I will need mounting hardware, will I be able to use my Sync2 mounting hardware for this?. I will also need to program, being new at this would like to know a checklist of hardware and software to obtain. thanks.

How to generate the .ab file?

I think I figured this one.. need to register first and then all those options come available To generate the .ab file, Site Maintenance

I have a 2014 Explorer Limited with Sync2 and have a few questions while I consider an upgrade to Sync3.
1. What are the necessary tools (hardware and software) necessary to program this if I purchase a Sync3 Nav APIM off of ebay?.
2. What Sync 3 screen to avoid? [Lexingtonian above posted that out of 2 screens only one works]
3. I find Sync2 acceptable, everything works and very rarely, it crashes (in 5years it crashed twice but was ok after reboot) so its ok
4. Given above, is the Sync3 upgrade worth it? What are the big advantages Sync 3 over Sync 2? I need to weigh this against the cost+effort+risk of doing the upgrade
5. I find Sync3 starting on 2016 model year vehicles. Are 2016 Sync3 hardware obsolete and to be avoided?.
6. One concern I have is that there is so much functionality packed into my current Sync2 that I am worried if every little thing works as it should after the upgrade.
7. For Carplay, I am seeing 2 types of interfaces. One with a single USB slot and another with 2 USB slots. Is there a difference and which one should we get?.

Loving my Ford Explorer. What an amazing vehicle!. Except for that pesky driver seat creak.

A couple of notes. You can find everything you need to know about FORScan here: FORScan Tutorial

As you found, the best way to program the new SYNC 3 module is to download the as-built config from a similarly configured 2017 model then manually input the configuration in to FORScan. You will need to ignore the checksum digits as mentioned in the FORScan Tutorial. You can usually find a vehicle VIN on eBay Motors or another car resale website.

My Explorer FORScan spreadsheet is located here in case you need to make minor configuration changes(See Sync 3 tab): FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers

2016 Explorers did not have SYNC 3. It started with the 2017 model year.

You need need a single port USB hub, as this one has a port to connect the rear USB in the center console. You will also need this adapter to power the hub - SYNC 3 Retrofit USB Hub Wiring Adapter (Gen 2a)

A couple of notes. You can find everything you need to know about FORScan here: FORScan Tutorial

As you found, the best way to program the new SYNC 3 module is to download the as-built config from a similarly configured 2017 model then manually input the configuration in to FORScan. You will need to ignore the checksum digits as mentioned in the FORScan Tutorial. You can usually find a vehicle VIN on eBay Motors or another car resale website.

My Explorer FORScan spreadsheet is located here in case you need to make minor configuration changes(See Sync 3 tab): FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers

2016 Explorers did not have SYNC 3. It started with the 2017 model year.

You need need a single port USB hub, as this one has a port to connect the rear USB in the center console. You will also need this adapter to power the hub - SYNC 3 Retrofit USB Hub Wiring Adapter (Gen 2a)

Re: the part "SYNC 3 Retrofit USB Hub Wiring Adapter (Gen 2a)". I am reluctant to pay $50 to 4DTech for a part that costs them 50cents to procure, any suggestions on where to buy those two connectors and splice it myself? It seems so utterly basic. Those 2 connectors probably can be procured in bulk for $5 cents each from Alibaba or Chinese market place. I am seeing 4DTech price list and it appears they have marked up prices about 100 fold, comparable prices on ebay. Their prices are almost laughable including $2000 for Sync upgrade with Nav. By the way, I need a 2 port USB hub (not single) for a 2014 Explorer.

I ordered the GPS antenna for $5 (4DTech charges $50 for this part), an ODB sync cable for $12, 2 port USB hub for $10.. the only thing missing is that wiring adapter which I think I will splice of find a way. I am hopeful I will be able to reuse my Sync2 display mount on the Sync 3 display. If not, will modify. I found the APIM and Screen with Nav for $400 on ebay which I thought was a very good deal especially given that ebay offers buyer protection and I know what I am getting from the photos. On car-part its a hit or miss.

I called 4DTech yesterday and asked them what parts I need for my install and they wouldnt give me any advise unless I paid for their full package ($1600 or $2200). The guy said this "If you are asking a question on what parts to buy then you dont know and you should not be doing the install yourself and therefore we cant help you" .. wow!.

So my current status is that i am waiting on parts to arrive. I also looked up a comparable 2017 Ford Explorer on autotrader and downloaded its .ab file from https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt site. I also installed forscan on my laptop. I guess there is no way to program the APIM without installing it first in the car and using the ODBII port on the car for sync and update using the Forscan software.

I just found out that the screen I ordered is that of a 2017 Fusion and is incompatible with my 2014 Explorer for a simple swap. The fusion has a standard mount surface on the screen where as Explorer requires a recessed mount surface on the screen body. Luckily, anticipating some twist like this I ordered 2 screens and the other one happened to be that of a 2016/7 Ford Edge. Now the screen belonging to the Edge is recessed so it is compatible with my Explorer. Phew!. I will just swap out the screens and am good to go. Hope to use the existing sync2 mounting brackets on the Edge screen and install it on the Fusion APIM module.

Anyone confirm that the Lincoln MKC APIM will work on the Explorer?. I thought it would be cool to have a lincoln logo instead of a Ford.

Anyone confirm that the Lincoln MKC APIM will work on the Explorer?. I thought it would be cool to have a lincoln logo instead of a Ford.
The APIM is the same, you can change the Ford theme to the Lincoln theme(or vice-versa) with FORScan

As stated, with FORScan you can change your startup screen, shutdown screen, and the overall theme of your display.

Currrently, I have the Raptor startup and the Lincoln brown-theme with the Lincoln shutdown screen.

IMG_2589.JPG

Thank you all for your responses. I am super excited about going with this upgrade. I like my 2014 explorer Ltd but I am bored with Sync2 and Sync3 may be just what I need to get that infatuation going again.

To enable carplay, I bought this USB hub
For programming and configuratiojn via forscan, I bought this OBDII connector

Now, it seems I will need to buy this adapter connector from Sync2 to 3 . Have any of you tried to splice and connect the wires? paying $50 for what I think should cost about $1 is something i am reluctant to do. It is 4DTech's prerogative if they want to charge a million dollars for a $1 part, and it is mine to choose whether to buy or not. What is a simple alternative to overcome this?. I am surprised that many people are simply paying $50 for this on ebay. There was another seller selling this part for $22 but he told me he doesnt have it in stock. I might choose to not install the hub or carplay, assuming Sync3 will work just fine with the older USB hub. Also, I will have navigation (APIM) so the appeal of Carplay is weaker than it would have been if I didnt have navigation.

My other question is, why do we need to replace the USB hub to enable carplay? why doesnt carplay work with the Sync2 USB hub?

I just realized its not worth my time and I need to get this media hub replaced at the same time as when I changed the APIM otherwise I end up spending $200 (my own time) on labor having to disassemble the modules twice. Coughed up $54 for the wiring harness from 4DTech.

For those who are interested, an option to avoid getting price gouged by 4DTech is "buying motorcraft pigtail WPT-1239 and splice it in."

OR

according to a seller on ebay . "go to 3D print shop to make one for yourself"

What is interesting is that the WPT-1239 is also over priced ~$25 for a part that should cost about $1 if mass produced or sourced to a chinese supplier

I started installation today. Hardware installation went smoothly, its all done. I am stuck though on the software side of things. The APIM was from a 2017 Fusion and screen from 2017 Edge.
I purchased a Forscan extended license for $10..
Climate control not working at all.. The icons are showing up on screen but not controlling anything climate related, no steering wheel heat either.
Nav works fine
Surprisingly rear camera is working but no curved white tracker lines for parking, the rectangular fixed ones are there.. steering wheel volume up and down works but "seek" does not work..
I see the icons on the Sync3 screen and they even make that sound when I touch them but there is no control
I loaded the .ab from a 2017 Explorer LTD
I really need the climate control via sync3 at a minimum. what should I do to get that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ir ALL WORKS NOW YAY. It required a reset of some modules and a reset of network modules which bombed according to ForScan but it allworks now. Now I just need to get the 3.0 update and I will have google maps on the screen. I do have a hub question. I have one is it any 12v supply? Or is it a particular pin out an needs to be 5v? If so which pins on my current hub? Im gonna put this one in the console inside of it jus drimmel out a hole.
$20 (not $200 $20 for a computer module. LCD was busted but digitizer was fine $50 for a parts only Sync 3 screen no ribbon cable for LCD and broken bad chipped digitizer. Frankenstined the 2 and now it works. I officially hold the record for the cheapest Sync 3 conversion now. $14.99 for GPS antenna, $6.xx for the hub and USB cables. $8 for 4 trips to the yard

How did you reset? I did this in Forscan some of the modules but it did not fix my issue. What steps you took to get to the "yay" stage?. I am in a similar situation not quite at the "yay".. Climate control, heated seats, heated steering, seek button on steering are not responding. I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow but if it is something simple Id like to fix it myself.

Back