Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Sync 3 screen goes blank

Discussion in '2020 Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology' started by NCcarguy, December 3, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. NCcarguy

NCcarguy Member

City, State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Yesterday was a bad day for the new ST. On my way to work all of a sudden the entire 10" screen blinked and went blank. I stopped at a stoplight 10 minutes later and I shut the vehicle off then started it back and the screen seemed to re-boot and open as normal. just prior to this happening it appears that my turbos shit the bed....so I'm not totally sure these two issues aren't related. I am not totally sure how that's possible, but with todays' electronics, I'm not ruling it out.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. UofMEngineer

UofMEngineer Active Member

City, State:
    Michigan
    17' Escape Titanium
    Which software are you on? Have the Diagnostics option enabled on SYNC?

4. NCcarguy

NCcarguy Member

City, State:
    Raleigh, NC
    2020 Explorer ST
    I took in to Crossroads Ford in Cary this morning....Should I have them set that option? I doubt they will be able to make it do that again while they have it.....although they're going to have several things to deal with, so it's possible.

5. UofMEngineer

City, State:
    Michigan
    17' Escape Titanium

You can DIY easily. You'd need a WiFi network to connect to as well. Main reason I ask is if the black screen was due to some SYNC problem, it's exceedingly likely it'd generate an event and phone home. At least then you'd know it's making Ford aware of the issue if it was a SYNC side thing.

6. Adrenlin

Adrenlin Member

2020 Explorer ST
    Had the same issue with my screen, went black. Nothing regarding the display would respond and at the time I was using Apple CarPlay. The audio turned off and pressing the power button did nothing. I eventually pulled over, turn the explorer off, opened the drivers door, closed the door and turned the explorer on again. Everything worked fine after that. Mine is going in next week to see if there is an update that will resolve that issue.

The other issue I can usually replicate every time is... Put the vehicle in drive and press the camera button. Once the camera is showing slowing start to move forward and stop before the camera usually switches off. Then start moving again. The entire top half of the screen turns white and the bottom half goes gray. You can tap on the screen where you know the controls are at the bottom and hear the system respond but the screen stays like that until you stop and put it in reverse. The cameras then show up properly again and the system behaves as it should once you start driving again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NCcarguy

NCcarguy Member

City, State:
    Raleigh, NC
    2020 Explorer ST
    When I get the vehicle back, I'll set that up. It's really had several quirky things happen, and I'm sure some of them are software related, and fixable, so I'd like to help out if possible.

8. UofMEngineer

City, State:
    Michigan
    17' Escape Titanium
    It's easy. It's a bit buried in the Settings -> General menu. You'll see the option for SYNC Analytics & Diagnostics. If something crashes, etc. then it'll send the info in. You can turn on the options independently, so no need to enabled Analytics or sending failed voice commands if you don't want those on.

9. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Does that have something to do with "Compiliging diagnostics information"? I saw something similar to the phrase on my Sync 3 screen a few minutes after starting up myAviator. I just caught that a second before the screen message disappeared. I have had no failures or issues. Is that something that happens routinely?

Peter

10. UofMEngineer

City, State:
    Michigan
    17' Escape Titanium
    Doesn't sound familiar. What you should see at initial (after a Master Reset) boot is a pop-up to enable collecting analytics and diagnostics. Annoyingly (for me) the option to send failed (I didn't get that...) commands isn't on there, but is buried in the Setting screen. If the dealer accepted / turned them off then you wouldn't get prompted again, unless you ran an MR.

Diag has a wealth of potential triggers to send in data, crashes being the most obvious. Think errors like GPS, phone disconnects, no GPS signal, etc.