Sync 3 | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

Yes, MFT is the same with the exception of the software being 3.7 in the 2016. You'd notice very slight differences going from a 2011 to a 2016, but nothing too noticeable. If you're really liking all of the SYNC 3 features and can wait, I say why not wait. :)

Rebecca

Thank you for all the info. As usual it's Rebecca to the rescue:)

It's just that we're drooling over the Explorer Platinum and would stand in line for it except for the MFT/Sync. It is so discouraging that Ford's most beautiful car is last to receive the most important fix. It doesn't make sense but I guess we'll wait until we can get our hands on a Platinum to make a final decision. Right now, I can't stand the thought of having a new car with old technology that I would have to live with for another 5 years or so.

Can I update the 2011 to 3.7?

Regards

You're very welcome! Unfortunately, the 3.7 update is for 2014 + MY vehicles. This is due to differences in other (non-MFT related but still semi tied into MFT) components that aren't available on the earlier models. Since you really, really, really, really want SYNC 3, sit tight a little longer. In my opinion, it'll be well worth the wait.

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you really, really, really, really want SYNC 3, sit tight a little longer. In my opinion, it'll be well worth the wait.

Rebecca[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rebecca

Yes, MFT is the same with the exception of the software being 3.7 in the 2016. You'd notice very slight differences going from a 2011 to a 2016, but nothing too noticeable. If you're really liking all of the SYNC 3 features and can wait, I say why not wait. :)

Rebecca

Thank you for all the info. As usual it's Rebecca to the rescue:)
.............Can I update the 2011 to 3.7?

[/QUOTE]For the 2011 to 2013 models 3.6.2 is the current and latest version. 3.7 is for 2014 and up model years.

Peter

I know people who have updated their 2013- Explorer's SYNC to 3.7.1 and have zero problems so far, though you gain only mute button on Navi screen.

Wait for it.

I'm convinced. Better to wait than be an old grouch every time the MFT did something to make me want to punch it in the nose. Maybe if enough of us wait Ford will do a mid year update to include Sync 3 in the Platinum in and all of their vehicles.

Like the siri upgrade. I use this now. By making sure my phone is plugged in and saying hey Siri. That make Siri come on. No need to press any buttons. Truly hands free.

I don't have pricing for map updates yet, but for now they will be performed via a USB flash drive and stored on the APIM (no more SD card). SYNC 3 will also have AppLink (YAY!):

WILL HAVE?
Forgive me if I don't hold my breath... we've heard that before...

WILL HAVE?
Forgive me if I don't hold my breath... we've heard that before...

Hi ieee_raider,

No need to hold your breath! Technically, SYNC 3 already has AppLink. The "will have" was directed at the future Explorer with SYNC 3. Take a look at the link I provided in the above post for more info. :)

Hope you're doing well!

Rebecca

Will the 2016 Explorer start to show up with Sync 3? I have an order that is scheduled to be built later this month. Would LOVE to have Sync 3. My 2014 Escape Titanium is a great car, but as many owners have stated in many forums, MFT Sync 2 is a horrible design.

Will the 2016 Explorer start to show up with Sync 3? I have an order that is scheduled to be built later this month. Would LOVE to have Sync 3. My 2014 Escape Titanium is a great car, but as many owners have stated in many forums, MFT Sync 2 is a horrible design.
Nope. Sync 3 won't be on Explorers until the 2017 models.

Here's a video and list to all of the settings (including changing the screen from day to night):

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...ync/sync-3-settings-overview.html?sync=sync-3

Rebecca

Rebecca,
According to the video, there is an ability to switch off display completely. Lets say, I'm lisening to the music and turn off the screen, will my musuc continue playing with screen off? If so, what happens if track changes, will it bring screen back to ON again?

We're also working with Google to get Android Auto integrated in the future (for SYNC 3). As for music when the display is off, you'll still be able to hear and control it via voice commands and steering wheel controls. The display will only come back on when you touch the screen. :)

Rebecca

Bye Bye

Nope. Sync 3 won't be on Explorers until the 2017 models.

OK, we took a close look at the 2016 Volvo XC90 and decided to go with it.

We've been Ford owners for many years but we don't see any reason to stay with the line.

We've been Ford owners for many years but we don't see any reason to stay with the line.
Thanks for being a member and your contributions to the Forum. Good luck with your new vehicle to be.:thumbsup:

Peter

Aren't those about $15,000 more than an Explorer Platinum?
This (redesigned) Volvo model is still built in Sweden, hopefully worth every penny paid as premium to any US car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been eyeballing the new XC90 as well, but after spending some time on a Volvo forum, everyone is having electronic gremlins with this vehicle, mostly related to iPad'ish infotainment system. You might want to look into this before committing right now. I'm in the market to replace my 2006 Explorer with the new Explorer Platinum, XC90, MDX, and Honda Pilot. Outside of the MDX which hasn't changed much and seems pretty stable, it seems the XC90 and Pilot are having some chronic issues related to either infotainment and/or electronic "features". I'm taking a wait and see on all of these for a number of months to see if these issues sort themselves out via updates.

And someone else mentioned isn't the Volvo in a different price range, the answer is only if you choose an "Inscription" or "R-Design". If you take a base Momentum and just add on all the electronic helpers and leave out the upgraded audio system(the base system is quite good, I've test driven one), the air-bag suspension, and the upgrade interior..and lets face it, the base interior is pretty stunning... you end up at $55,445, but right now no Volvo dealer will move on the retail price. Explorer Platinum can typically be had for about $51K. So yes there is still a fair price difference but not crazy. I also suspect discounts on the Volvo's will come with time. All that said, the Explorer Platinum is more fully loaded than any of the luxury or near luxury brands for much less. I mean, if you want massaging seats most brands reserve that for their 80K vehicles if they have it at all. I'm babbling though. Good luck with the Volvo, it looks pretty sweet, but check out the forums though, you might want to be aware of common issues they are having and some of them are serious enough to cause buyer remorse right now.

R.

Back