• Register Today It's free!

Sync3 Failure and FoMoCo Snub

soloxx

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer LTD
So, I have a 2017 Explorer, LTD, fully optioned. I also have an unlocked iPhone 7Plus, iPod nano and iPod Classic. 70% of the time they work fine with Sync. 30% of the time they will not be recognized, I will not get voice recognition, my screens will not recognize any other media beside Am, Fm, or Sirius. I've taken my Explorer to 3 different dealers. In two of the cases the service advisor sat in the vehicle and observed the issues cited above. In all three I provided videos of the symptoms as they occurred. Once dropping off the vehicles, the technicians have not subsequently been able to obtain an error code. I've been told that unless they do there is nothing that can be done. Ditto with on-line contact. Now I'm told that my iPhone 7 Plus is not compatible with Sync (Unlocked, Model MN4E2LL/A, with a Straight Talk Sim, Carrier Code TFW.290). Apparently, Sync does not abide with unlocked phones or the sim cards that it might use. It's funny that the MyFordTouch in my 2012 (traded in late last year) was just fine with every device.

So, Fords online assistance and the dealers tell me that my word, the video's demonstration and the service advisor's written service order mean nothing if the technician can not generate an error code. 'Take your car and shove it.' Sorry, that's the way it goes. 8600 miles with a Sync system that, intermittently does not recognize previously recognized media in the same vehicle, that doesn't sync some of the phone contacts, that sometimes doesn't respond to voice commands. No wonder they launched the Challenger: Sometimes the launch temperatures were above freezing. I guess that explosion didn't happen.

In so many ways, this 'new' explorer really stinks. But, if the technicians can't smell it, it don't. Any solutions or recommendations would be appreciated (just not 'try another dealership' or 'live with it'. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you on the latest version of Sync?

My Sync 3 had a lot of connectivity issues until the latest revision publicly available a few months ago.

I think that part of the problem you are experiencing with Ford is because of the warranty. In order to justify a warranty repair the dealer must have the authorization from Ford and that probably requires a fault code. I'm sure that if you tell them that you'll pay for any diagnosis and subsequent 'fix' that is outside of warranty that they would go ahead. If they were to go ahead without Ford's okay and try to find and fix the unknown issue now, who will pay the bill? I believe that is the root of the issue.

Peter

Also, have you swapped USB cables for your Apple devices? I've had old and "shot" Lightning cables do a lot of weird stuff.

The problem is that you are using an unsupported device, and the problems may be related to the "pairing" of the two.. (using the 2 together, not BT paring) so in fact nothing is "broken" as there is no "spec" to have to support that model.

The best way for you to try and rule out the vehicle side, is to see if you can get a loaner on your next service, (book it well in advance etc), and make sure its the same model as yours.. on that day see if the problem happens with the loaner.. if it does, then the "problem" is with your phone, not the vehicle. that's not that there is not a "bug", but that the bug falls outside what Ford has designed the system to support hence they will not fix it..

standard "software" development type design model.

it's like putting oversized tires on the vehicle and saying it's fords fault if they rub the frame.

I have the same problem...... I have two Ipods one old one and a new one..... both IPods work fine in my 2013 Mustang only the old one works in my Explorer....... the new one drops out from time to time. Sync can’t keep up with the updates to iOS..... Hell sync can’t keep up with updating the maps at all.......

Are you on the latest version of Sync?

My Sync 3 had a lot of connectivity issues until the latest revision publicly available a few months ago.
Yes. I did update to the latest Sync 3 version. No cigar.

The problem is that you are using an unsupported device, and the problems may be related to the "pairing" of the two.. (using the 2 together, not BT paring) so in fact nothing is "broken" as there is no "spec" to have to support that model.

The best way for you to try and rule out the vehicle side, is to see if you can get a loaner on your next service, (book it well in advance etc), and make sure its the same model as yours.. on that day see if the problem happens with the loaner.. if it does, then the "problem" is with your phone, not the vehicle. that's not that there is not a "bug", but that the bug falls outside what Ford has designed the system to support hence they will not fix it..

standard "software" development type design model.

it's like putting oversized tires on the vehicle and saying it's fords fault if they rub the frame.

Thanks. The dealer did provide a loaner; a '17 Ford Escape with the latest Sync3 (albeit, not with Nav or touch screen, etc). While it may be merely anecdotal, the Sync in the Escape and none of the issues mentioned above (including recognizing bluetooth and usb alike on different iPods and iPhone 7S).
Dealer kept my Explorer for three days, I picked it up, they said "Sorry, There's nothing we can do".

Just can't abide the service department confirming the problem, writing up a service order, and then (essentially) saying that your system may not work, but that's on you.

Also, have you swapped USB cables for your Apple devices? I've had old and "shot" Lightning cables do a lot of weird stuff.

Thanks.
Did all of that: Purchased new apple USB and lightening cables and two lightening cables from Paracable. Even went from iPhone 6 to 7, when four months after I bought the Explorer, the selling dealer said the 6 was not compatible (I woulda' bought one anyway, at some point). But, it just goes to show; everything is wrong except Sync, it seems.

Thanks.
Did all of that: Purchased new apple USB and lightening cables and two lightening cables from Paracable. Even went from iPhone 6 to 7, when four months after I bought the Explorer, the selling dealer said the 6 was not compatible (I woulda' bought one anyway, at some point). But, it just goes to show; everything is wrong except Sync, it seems.
Hmm, I am still using a 6s and sync3 in my 17 Ex works fine.

Edit-notice if i leave phone on usb and shut vehicle off. When go back to vehicle and turn back on, it will not recognize device so have to unplug and reconnect. Otherwise everythi else works. Still on v2.2 haven'T tried updating it yet.

Sometimes the wired connections can be sketchy -- lightning cables are prone to dirt interference... so ensuring they are clean and even sometimes blowing dust of the female end on the iOS Device itself can help a lot. My wife has had a few troubles with this in the past because she works out a lot and sweat gets in there. Which tends to happen more when she connects her phone inside my car for road trips.

Personally, I just use BlueTooth connections and disabled CarPlay -- I only use it for charging now. I don't have any problems. I stream Spotify, use phone calls, and use Ford's Navigation system system (CarPlay's is inferior).

Hmm, I am still using a 6s and sync3 in my 17 Ex works fine.

Edit-notice if i leave phone on usb and shut vehicle off. When go back to vehicle and turn back on, it will not recognize device so have to unplug and reconnect. Otherwise everythi else works. Still on v2.2 haven'T tried updating it yet.

Does the same thing to my I phone 6 and my iPod with iOS 11.1.1 However my older iPod with the older operating system works just fine. I do not have to unplug and plug it back in after a vehicle start. So that tell me a conflict with the new iOS and sync 2.2 which came out before iOS 11. Just my 2cents which due to inflation is not worth much

Sometimes the wired connections can be sketchy -- lightning cables are prone to dirt interference... so ensuring they are clean and even sometimes blowing dust of the female end on the iOS Device itself can help a lot. My wife has had a few troubles with this in the past because she works out a lot and sweat gets in there. Which tends to happen more when she connects her phone inside my car for road trips.

Personally, I just use BlueTooth connections and disabled CarPlay -- I only use it for charging now. I don't have any problems. I stream Spotify, use phone calls, and use Ford's Navigation system system (CarPlay's is inferior).

Yeah, I am finding myself using BT more often then not nowadays. Am too familiar with the debris in the lightning sots. LOL, 3 kids with iOS devices and youngest just learning them. Older ones tend to keep devices in pants pockets so cleaning on a weekly basis became a ritual.

I haven't tested fully if there is a difference in call quality between BT and Carplay. Brother mentioned breaks in the call over BT and wife said was good when was on carplay. But could have been signal quality at the time also.

Does the same thing to my I phone 6 and my iPod with iOS 11.1.1 However my older iPod with the older operating system works just fine. I do not have to unplug and plug it back in after a vehicle start. So that tell me a conflict with the new iOS and sync 2.2 which came out before iOS 11. Just my 2cents which due to inflation is not worth much

I too only found that start happening since iOS 11 came out. Think need to try to update Sync.

It will be hard for the dealer or Ford to duplicate the problem, if none of them have the iPhone 7 jail broke in their pockets. Did you leave the phone with them? If not how do you expect them to test and work on it? To just say it does this, here is a video and them seeing it happen with your phone, then expect them to replicate it with out half the puzzle, then cpmplain they can not fix it seems sort of harsh. Maybe go to the dealer sit down with the service person and work together in trying to figure out the Software glitch. Most service tech's are not tech guys, so make sure you talk to them first, and see if they understand the software behind your problem. Not trying to be a jerk just thinking outside the box is what I do.

It will be hard for the dealer or Ford to duplicate the problem, if none of them have the iPhone 7 jail broke in their pockets. Did you leave the phone with them? If not how do you expect them to test and work on it? To just say it does this, here is a video and them seeing it happen with your phone, then expect them to replicate it with out half the puzzle, then cpmplain they can not fix it seems sort of harsh. Maybe go to the dealer sit down with the service person and work together in trying to figure out the Software glitch. Most service tech's are not tech guys, so make sure you talk to them first, and see if they understand the software behind your problem. Not trying to be a jerk just thinking outside the box is what I do.

Thanks to all who offered possible workarounds. None have worked. To those who opined that I was being unfair or petty with FoMoCo? Walk in my shoes with this BS.
Correctly, some have noted the predicament Ford techs are in, if they do not get an error code, there is no justification for a fix. Does that rationale make sense when the service department and techs can pair this same phone to a new 2017 and 2018 Escapes, Mustangs and Explorers, with Sync3, on the lot and in the showroom.....and it works just fine in every one of them?

My 2017 Sync 3, while pairing and recognizing my iPhone 7 Plus will not sync contacts (well it does sync three of them...out of 87), only intermittently play iTunes, iPod Nano or Classic iPod. Again, all these features work perfectly fine (in the presence of Ford dealer service providers (and sales staff)), in other vehicles Yet, because there is no error code, the dealer cannot help me.

So, no hands-free calling, only occasional music, sometimes wired, sometimes Bluetooth. All this in an 'improved' Sync system in a 2017 Explorer Limited with 10,200 miles on it. And, in which, the system worked fine when I first purchased the vehicle. It really bites.

Back