• Register Today It's free!

t-case fluid

lynnboy021

Reaction score
City, State
billerica ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
i wanna change the fluid but i cant find mercon multi-purpose atf. will mercon v work? i bought 6 qts of mercon v and filter to do a tranny service...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, use XL-12 or Dex/Merc.

Ok I thought I saw that mercon multi purpose was switched over to mercon v...

i wanna change the fluid but i cant find mercon multi-purpose atf. will mercon v work? i bought 6 qts of mercon v and filter to do a tranny service...

No, Mercon-V will destroy the transfer case.

Use one of the following:

716ffIfVyZL._SL1500_.jpg
855459.jpg

You can alternatively use one of the following:

valvo_dexmerc.jpg
cast_dexmerc.jpg
ST_dexmerc.jpg

Ditto. The Mercon I(Mercon/Dexron III) was replaced by Mercon V, but later they decided the Mercon V was bad for transfer cases. So they created the XL-12 stuff just for TC's, which is rumored to be virtually the same as Mercon I.

So keep your Mercon V for the trans or PS only. Buy the easy to find Dexron III, which all still mention Mercon on the labels, for the transfer case. The Mercon V is too slick for the TC, it creates more heat and burns them up.

As covered extensively on other thread(s), Ford has "obsoleted" the XL-12 "Transfer Case Fluid" (per Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor, MI) and now specifies Mercon LV for our transfer cases. Just don't put it in the transmission . . . .

It is interesting. Again the manufacturers cross applications with the same fluids, and expect no problems with customers figuring out what they need. OEM doesn't mind mixing fluid usage among systems like power steering and transmission. But customers shouldn't be put in a tough position to keep up with the changes.

Fluids change regularly these days, confusion in books and manuals, and service writers, it causes problems. I prefer to use one fluid for the intended(what is on the container) usage, if possible. It is possible to find and use only PS fluid for the PS system, thus I do not use ATF for PS.

Transfer cases have become the same way now given the fluid changes over the last 15 years or so. It's time to stop using any ATF in a TC, and find specific transfer case fluid, to use in just TC's. Hopefully the Valvoline TC fluid will be a proper fluid for all TC's for a long time, and remain feasible. $5 a quart isn't bad for a TC fluid that you only need 2-3 quarts of at a time, or $8+ each if you have to buy single bottles.

Quick question, kinda a stupid one does the transfer case spine when not on 4x4? Also do I fill the case up till fluid comes out the top hole?

Yes, the top hole is the fill level, and the front drive shaft and axles etc, all turn at all times.

I thought I saw a youtube video from fordtechmakuloco to use motorcraft LV fluid?

I thought I saw a youtube video from fordtechmakuloco to us motorcraft LV fluid?

Yes, I think I also saw that video clip.

The Motorcraft LV fluid is adequate, yes. But now as time goes on, the number of acceptable fluids is growing. That's what I've always had an issue with, using fluids for things they are not labeled for, such as ATF for power steering.

Why keep and use products for something they aren't clearly and boldly labeled for? I don't want to make a mistake which is easy due to the labeling, or have someone else at my home do that. Why do we need to memorize random information because the manufacturers are too cheap to make a dedicated fluid(or whatever their reasons are(does not matter))?

I now have many quart bottles of Valvoline transfer case fluid in my garage. They are clearly labeled on the bottles for that one purpose, and they cost about $5 each, less than the super special XL12 fluid, and less than the Motorcraft LV ATF which is Ford's newest recommendation.

I have several quart bottles of power steering fluid on my shelves, which is for all of my vehicle's PS systems. Now isn't that simpler, safer, and more logical? Regards,

Back