Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

T-case HIGH mode broken

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by Schorchii, July 16, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Schorchii

Schorchii New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      ´96 XLT
      I have a Transfer-Case BW 4405 and something is definitely broken. I can´t shift in the HIGH range mode anymore.
      Yesterday there was a loud noise, like once a "boom". And the car didn´t drive anymore. I heard just a noise of grinding (like Grrrrrrrrr). I took the shift motor off and tried to put the gear in manually, but it´s still not working.
      Now i drive around with the LOW-range mode. It´s not so cool...
      In this mode there´re no noises at all.

Which parts might be broken? Does someone have an idea?
      I´m travelling through Australia (I´m from Germany) at the moment, and i want to check out if it´s worth it to open the T-case and how much i probably have to spend to fix it...

I called nearly all wreckers and just one guy has a t-case. The problem is, that this is a T-case without speedo (i need one with speedo) and the car is built 1998, mine is built 1996. Do you think i could use the those parts to fix my t-case?

Otherwise i´ll try to order them somewhere...

Thanks for your advise,
      George

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer
      This is going to sound strange but put the shift motor back, disconnect the battery for like 5 minutes and then reconnect. Sometimes, this reset process will get the t-case out of LO range. But in general, try not to use LO range -- it just gets people into trouble.

4. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
      VA
      2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
      George, I don't know much about it, but I have had the same thing happen to me twice. I mostly worked on the shift fork, and now I am running the SONNAX enhanced shift fork roller kit. Let me know if I can help.

P.S.: I think you can use most parts out of the newer case to swap into yours, but I am not sure about the chain.

Last edited: July 17, 2011