• Register Today It's free!

Tachometer question

sumpinsfishie

Reaction score
City, State
Brunswick, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
I browse through the post here QUITE often , but this is my first post. I greatly appreciate any and all information that i have recieved from this place. There is obviously a lot of knowledge here. There is 1 thing that I am having trouble with that i dont understand and I cant get any good info from anywhere. My problem is that while driving, my tach works great, but when i give it excessive throttle to the point that it kicks down, my tach drops to zero. I have put the transmission in 1st gear (auto tranny) and slowly accelerated and it does the same once it gets to aprx 2100-2200. I have searched for scematics or wiring diagrams all over and i cant find any. I really cant find any info on how to troubleshoot this problem. i would appreciate any info on how to troubleshoot and/or where to get diagrams to use for future uses. Thank you for taking the time to read and consider my issue

By the way, ANY info will be useful. I'm not even sure how or where it gets its signal. From what i have read, it seems that it comes from the PCM, but even before that, where does the signal orginate from? The coil, the CKP??

do you really need the tach?

either way, the rangers tach used to stick, i didnt know why, but after an oil change, it worked better, still sticks sometime but less.

i didnt even expect it to do anything, it was just changing the oil when scheduled, but it turned out to help.

other than that, idk what to say

good luck

Back