1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Tail light replacement

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by mikeh, July 25, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. mikeh

mikeh Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 XLT SOHC V6
    I broke out my tail light when I hit something the other day. I ordered a new tail light assembly. To replace the tail light assembly do you have to just remove the two screws on the inside behind that hatch or do you have to take apart the interior to get to the tail light assembly?

If I have to take apart the interior does anybody have some recommendation for how to do that. It's very seemless without any obvious ways to pull it off. I've broke plenty of plastic clips just tearing apart panels in the past and would like to avoid that.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. piperRonnie

piperRonnie New Member

City, State:
    Chicago, IL
    2002 XLT
    The owners manual describes how to replace the tail light bulb and thus how to remove the lens cover.

4. asimp

asimp Active Member

City, State:
    Bardstown, KY
    04 Limited
    Just remove the 2 screws on the inside of the hatch and the tail light assembly will pull straight out.

5. mikeh

mikeh Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis, MO
    98 XLT SOHC V6
    Yep easy as pie. I pulled the two screws, removed the bulbs, and popped the new taillight assembly in. Took about 5 minutes.