• Register Today It's free!

tail lights tinted??

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
Is there a way to tint your tail lights without getting tail light covers? I would like mine to be tinted but I hate the look of plastic covers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just buy a can of tint spray. It's just like paint, only see through. Just a tip, take your time when spraying, cause it's very runny. Do very light coats and in a dust free environment.

i think hartman did it to his lights. search for his name and you should find pics.

like adam said, be very careful and take your time or itll look awful (very prone to "runs".)

there are a bunch of people who did this... if you wanna try a search, some people who did it are blackmagic, hartman, purpony... i cant remember the others

Didn't black magic do that to his X?

yes he did.

Here are mine, I used four coats of VHT Niteshades tint which you can get from a ricer shop or at www.caswellplating.com. I plan on putting some clear on them soon.

Attachments

• tintedtail.jpg
    tintedtail.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 473

How many 8oz. cans of this stuff does it take to do the rear taillights? Thanks.

Hartman did you use the same stuff as Black Magic for your taillights? Yours look sweet cause that's what I want to do to mine....

Just thought I toss out .02 cents.... Tinted my tail-lights with the spray few days ago. Got the spray off Ebay.. (VTec i think) can was small, so I had none left over. I did my 3rd brake light too though, and thats where my warning comes in. If you're attepmting this for the 1st time, be careful, its really runny...not thick like spray paint. I taped off the top area of my X around the 3rd brake light, sprayed 2 coats, peeled off the paint after 20 mins to find that it ran onto the paint of my truck regardless of the taping. So I then had to water sand to remove it. So no permanent damage done, and end result it looks good. Just be careful when ya do it!

Weird, I did my 3rd brake light with no problems.

just don't get rear ended after doing this unless you feel like paying the cost of repair on both cars and any "damages" to the driver of the other car.

Mine didn't come out dark enough to worry about that I don't believe. Light still comes through fine.

if you modify your tails in any way and i run into you expect my lawyer to eat you for every meal you ever earn! (you won't have any leg to stand on it court and all it takes is someone hitting you who is smart enough to realize you modified them. or their lawyer)

I also had trouble doing my 3rd brake light. If i remember right I was stupid and forgot to clean it. It looked like crap so i tried getting it off unsuccesfully. Had to water sand it and retint it, it looks OK now and you can't tell anything bad unless inspecting closely.

I see everyone talkin about tinting the tailights but has anyone done the headlights and side markers...do u think it would come out good enough for the light to shine through?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It probably would work(and look awesome), however I think the cops would be all over my ass if i did it here.

Back