tailgate alignment / install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tailgate alignment / install

ovrlndr

Reaction score
City, State
NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
The tailgate on my Explorer wasn't closing properly when I bought it, and I've spent a good few frustrating hours trying to align it without success.

Right now I have one side half closed and the other side wont sit flush with the seal.

Any tips or instructions available?

Thanks

20190414_190912.jpg

20190414_190902.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the hinge mounting surface of the lift gate, it could be bent. I have one that wont align, looks about like yours. Go look at another Explorer, 1st or 2nd gen & sight down it from the side, the mounting surface should be flat it's entire length.

If its raised or bent under the hinge you can remove the hatch, take off the glass & hammer back to flat. On mine Im just going to swap the hatch from my parts car.

Thanks. The mounting surface for the brackets looked raised (I think) so that could be the issue, but I'd have to check - there are no 1st/2nd gen Explorers anywhere near where I am.

I fought mine for awhile too. You might also check for evidence of it hitting the roof, if there are marks or a dent where it made contact there. Doesn't take much to bend the mounting pads out from where they are supposed to be.

If you remove the hatch it might be possible to push them back with a c-clamp.

oh yes, the top lip of the tailgate is all bent out of shape where it's hit the body by the (assumed) previous owner fitment

I had the same issue and was never able to adjust it properly:(

In my case I know what caused the initial problem... I backed into my garage with the rear window open. The window didn't shatter before the door and the body mounting point bent. I replaced the door, but it never fit properly after.

So what's the correct method of installation.... and with or without the shocks installed during installing?

So what's the correct method of installation.... and with or without the shocks installed during installing?

@MONMIX may be able to help with this question. Personally I don't think it would affect the adjustment either way, but the shocks will make it easier to bring the door up when you need to make an adjustment.

It is a catch 22. On the one hand, it is easier to do it with the shocks off. You don't have the force of the shocks pushing the liftgate somewhere you don't want it to go. ( which in that first photo is 100% the case.) On the other hand, that liftgate (as you know) is heavy AF.
I usually (not always ) align with the shocks ON. In the case of the first photo use the shock as a pivot point.
With the decklid open push UP ( towards the sky) really hard, you will see the bolts actually slide DOWN in their slots.

Additionally, I remove the latch or the striker when doing alignments like this. The decklid dictates where the striker goes, not the other way around.

Good luck and let me know if I can help any further.

OK I straightened my hatch, looks good & contacts the seal now.

I took out the glass, removed the struts on the door & tried the c-clamp..........not the way to go.

I used a ball peen & a body hammer to pound the hinge pads back flat. After that I had to undo the mis-alignment I did when it was bent and move my strikers back where they belong. It helped having another Explorer next to it with the hatch open to sight down the surface, it needs to be flat.

A Tip for anyone else doing this is to adjust both sides up/down first, when that is done adjust in/out. Trying to adjust both at the same time is a way to madness. :)

Good tips here from everyone. My 98 has been abused and I'm sure a large antenna has tweaked the right hinge.

I suggest buying new hinges if you have a hatch that doesn't shut very well. They are still available from Ford, about $45 IIRC right. I bought four to be expecting more issues later after replacing the two on this one.

Back