Tailgate / Liftgate Alignment | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tailgate / Liftgate Alignment

Adjust it. The dealer should catch that stuff before delivery, but it's not unusual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but the point is that it shoulnt be since they touted the use of new lasers for the 2012s to keep tolerances super duper tight.

Adjust it. The dealer should catch that stuff before delivery, but it's not unusual.

but the point is that it shoulnt be since they touted the use of new lasers for the 2012s to keep tolerances super duper tight.

Looking at the "cosmetic"-comment from the dealership, they seem to "tolerant" it, huh?:p:

I thought my tail gate was misaligned as well. My spoiler was actually touching on the left (driver side) of the car when closed. But on closer inspection the gate itself is actually positioned quite well, it is the rear glass that is misaligned. The dealership shifted my spoiler over to the right some so that it was no longer touching when closed. The rear glass looks like it should be a few mm wider, that way there is less room for alignment issues. Mine is shifted slightly to the left. So crack running down the right side is wider than the crack on the left side. There shouldn't be that much space between the rear glass and side of vehicle!

How is it in the manual?

I have:
1. misaligned tailgate
2. misaligned front passenger door

How is it in the manual?

I have:
1. misaligned tailgate
2. misaligned front passenger door

Fixing these type of things isn't something you can do without training or experiance. For the door it requires the bolts on the hinge to be loosened and once that's done the process begins. Again, the dealer should fix it. If they give you the stiff arm again contact Cory via a PM.

I thought my tail gate was misaligned as well. My spoiler was actually touching on the left (driver side) of the car when closed. But on closer inspection the gate itself is actually positioned quite well, it is the rear glass that is misaligned. The dealership shifted my spoiler over to the right some so that it was no longer touching when closed. The rear glass looks like it should be a few mm wider, that way there is less room for alignment issues. Mine is shifted slightly to the left. So crack running down the right side is wider than the crack on the left side. There shouldn't be that much space between the rear glass and side of vehicle!

Any chance you could provide pics for those of us who haven't yet picked up our Explorers?

...After I bought it and brought it to the service dept, they told me that it was not a major saftey hazard and it was only slightly cosmetic and therefore wouldn't be fixed..!?!?!

I have a 2nd problem you guys may want to look at, my passengerside front door is also misaligned...
Mike127,

I’m happy to help with the issues you mentioned by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do this, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and mileage.

...If they give you the stiff arm again contact Cory via a PM.
Thanks again for your recommendation, MikeFreas. I really appreciate it. :)

Cory

Thanks MikeFreas for the suggestion and thanks Cory for taking the time to help me with this :)

@Cory: PM sent

I was wondering, did somebody try fixing the tailgate alignment. I thought i checked it well before delivery but just noticed today that on the passenger side it is not flush. I am not sure if i should try to fix or just foget about it . My worries is dealer making it worse.

Mike127 - Did you ever get this repaired? My MY12 Ex with less than 200 miles on the odo. has the same issue. The pass. side is misaligned. I'm not sure if I want the dealership touching bolts which were secured at the factory. Let me know how it turned out.
I’m sorry I missed your post before, EKY. Did you end up going to the dealer for this? I can send the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. I still have your VIN from previous messages, so drop me a line via PM with your contact info, dealer name/state, and mileage.

I was wondering, did somebody try fixing the tailgate alignment. I thought i checked it well before delivery but just noticed today that on the passenger side it is not flush. I am not sure if i should try to fix or just foget about it...
I suggest showing the dealer where the alignment is off. Keep us in the loop with what you decide.

Cory

I’m sorry I missed your post before, EKY. Did you end up going to the dealer for this? I can send the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. I still have your VIN from previous messages, so drop me a line via PM with your contact info, dealer name/state, and mileage.

I suggest showing the dealer where the alignment is off. Keep us in the loop with what you decide.

Cory

Cory, I have the same misalignment on my 2012 EX that I got a month ago. So, it can be fixed?

I was hoping to hear from someone who actually got it fixed. I am little worried to let the dealer go near the bolts so i was hoping to get some feedback whether it is worth the hussle or not.

Cory, I have the same misalignment on my 2012 EX that I got a month ago. So, it can be fixed?
HDJulie,

I definitely recommend showing your dealer so they can look into it for you. I’m not a technician so I can’t guess if a fix is available. Let me know via PM if you’d like to be contacted by the Customer Service Manager in your area. Be sure to include your mileage, dealer name/state, VIN, and contact information.

Cory

Thanks, Cory. I'm on vacation the week after Christmas & will take it to my dealer to look at & if I am not happy with what they say, will PM you.

I went to the dealer today and they took pictures to send to ford. Then I took a look at all the 8 explorers they have and they all have the same problem. The liftgate below the the rear window (at the bottom of B pillar) at passenger size is not flush with body but the rest of the corners are ok. I also asked them to look at the dashbord at passenger side alignment and that's a different story. I will try to post pictures later.

Thanks, Cory. I'm on vacation the week after Christmas & will take it to my dealer to look at & if I am not happy with what they say, will PM you.
HDJulie,

OK, sounds good. Enjoy your vacation! :)

I went to the dealer today and they took pictures to send to ford...
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, CDNexp.

Cory

I just go a call from the dealer saying ford authorized them to fix the liftgate and the passenger side front pannel alignment.
Now I wish I can hear from some one who already got either of those issues fixed and whether recommends doing it or not. I am worried this will lead to futre rattles and squeaks. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would adjusting the panels lead to squeaks and rattles? They are supposed to be/are adjusted at the factory, that's why the panel fasteners are made with adjustment ways in them.

Back