Tailgate / Liftgate Alignment | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tailgate / Liftgate Alignment

Peter, when I said past the headlight I meant inwards (longitudinally) not rightward (laterally). In other words, when looking at the profile of the vehicle from the back, the liftgate sicks out further than the headlight edge on the left side, but on the right side the liftgate is either flush or actually further in than the tail light edge.
Unless I completely misunderstood your post, I was just trying to point out that you should have said taillight. Headlights are in the front.:D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL. I missed that. Peter. That is a good one. Its funny how when you get something in your mind you completely miss what is written right in front of your eyes... LOL I'll edit my posts so it doesn't sound so stupid.

Just noticed our 2013 Explorer Limited has the mis-aligned lift gate. Left side is flush, right side is not. Guess I'll be going to the dealer.

I decided to realign mine myself. Pretty easy. Took me less than 20 minutes to get it to my liking. I moved it laterally and did not bother with the in an out adjustment, but that looks pretty easy too. I may do that when it warms up. Any dealer that tells you you need to replace the gate or move the body panels to move it is an idiot.

For minor in/out adjustments, you can simply adjust the length of the rubber bumper stop at the bottom edges of the gate. It just screws in and out by hand. I adjusted mine this morning and now the gate is to my liking in the left/right, up down and in out directions.

Liftgate closes improperly

My new to me 2013 XLT liftgate doesnt close correctly.
The left side where the motor strut is located protrudes half an inch and the opposite side is onset an equal amount. In short, its crooked.

The closing motor strut makes a terrible sound when in operation.
The hinges at the top appear sound and not ever adjusted.

Is this a strut issue? a body shop issue?

Many thanks

My new to me 2013 XLT liftgate doesnt close correctly.
The left side where the motor strut is located protrudes half an inch and the opposite side is onset an equal amount. In short, its crooked.

The closing motor strut makes a terrible sound when in operation.
The hinges at the top appear sound and not ever adjusted.

Is this a strut issue? a body shop issue?

Many thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it. Did you get a CPO warranty with the Explorer? If so, is it still valid? I think that this is something the dealer should have a look at since it may involve more than a simple alignment.

Peter

Help with dealer

Good idea, 05redgt; come back and tell us how it goes. How many miles are on your Explorer? I'll be here in case you need my help.

Crystal

OK I need your HELP FORD Customer Service. I have a 2011 EX 86K, WATER LEAK like all the other 5th gen in the 3rd row leaking down from the safety belts into the spare wheel spa, I mean well. Also my rear liftgate is not aligned properly. My dealer, Gus Machado Ford in Kendall told me to bring my EX to their other dealership in Hialeah with a bodyshop to fix the liftgate before they can fix the WATERLEAK.

Can you PLEASE contact someone at the local or regional level who is KNOWLEDGEABLE in these well known "ISSUES" to brief the dealership before I bring my EX in for repair, so that I only bring it in ONCE! I will make an apointment once everyone is ready.

OK I need your HELP FORD Customer Service. I have a 2011 EX 86K, WATER LEAK like all the other 5th gen in the 3rd row leaking down from the safety belts into the spare wheel spa, I mean well. Also my rear liftgate is not aligned properly. My dealer, Gus Machado Ford in Kendall told me to bring my EX to their other dealership in Hialeah with a bodyshop to fix the liftgate before they can fix the WATERLEAK.

Can you PLEASE contact someone at the local or regional level who is KNOWLEDGEABLE in these well known "ISSUES" to brief the dealership before I bring my EX in for repair, so that I only bring it in ONCE! I will make an apointment once everyone is ready.
Go up to post 109, click on FordService in the margin and from the pull down list select, 'Send a private message to FordService". When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message. They will then contact the Regional Customer Service Manager who will contact your dealer and also you, I believe. Also, don't hold your breath hoping that these issues will be covered by Ford.

Peter

Same issue on my '13 Explorer sport. Lots of fitment issues internally and external. The rear hatch fitment was horrid. Had the dealer correct, but then it would not latch on auto close... would just pop back up. Had the dealer correct again. This time they left the right/bottom of the door rubbing on the bumper. After a few months the paint was rubbed all the way through on the bumper AND the bottom of the door. Took it back in and they put a little touch up paint on it and adjusted the small little bumper dohicky so it could not get sucked in far enough to rub. This is horrible and would be a complete waste of my time to deal with Ford, or the dealer any longer.

Time to move on from Ford. It is a real shame because I really like this car. Aside from the horrible perceived quality issues, it is a pretty good ride. Roomy, sporty, and fun to drive.

Will be fun to try to sell it. "Has this been in a wreck?" Nope, it is just a Ford.

My 2016 Sports lift gate's alignment is biased so far right that it is hitting the tail light. I want to have the dealer fix it so it is on record in case the paint chips where it is rubbing. Anyone else have this issue or had it fixed or fixed it themselves?

Thanks!

Wow, it’s 2017 and my Sport has the same misaligned tailgate. Guess the issue never got fixed in so many years. I bought my Sport 4 months ago and had it at the dealer within two weeks for a popping sound come from the front end suspension took 3 attempts to get it right. I noticed the misaligned tailgate a few days ago and plan on taking it in. It’s an expensive vehicle to have these issues so early in ownership. Wonder if all 17’s have this misaligned tailgate?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back