Take 3 - 1999 Mercury Mountaineer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Take 3 - 1999 Mercury Mountaineer

At $4 a quart I would have kicked in the extra $5 and went full synthetic. I’m assuming there’s a 5th quart not shown?

I knew this was going to be asked :) ...the 5th was already put in the motor.

They only had 6 quarts on the shelf so I grabbed them all to have a spare on hand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only ask because several members here assumed they needed 4 quarts recently since you don’t ever drain “all” the oil.

Took the Mountaineer to Tulsa, OK on Friday. 2 hr trip there and back....Shakedown Cruise to see if there were any big issues. I dont drive far where I am cause everything is pretty close.

She drove good, a little shimmy in the front, Im guessing it may be tire balancing, and some fresh brakes will be in order too. :)

Thanks guys.

As it is important to retain the stock functions in our vehicles, I don't want to loose the steering wheel controls. :eek:

I did a little research and found this little GEM that can be used with any aftermarket radio. Its as simple as wiring up 3 wires. :bounce:

Axxess Integrate - ASWC-1 - Instructions - Avg $46 Cost

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Hello Spudhut!

I installed this interface when I installed a Sony double-din touchscreen head unit in my 1999 Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD.

It works well enough. However, it does not recognize the separate up/dwn volume control buttons on the steering wheel. It sees them as the same button.
I have tried different button assemblies, no change.
Tech support has recommended I resetup the interface. I am going to do that this week when I install the backup camera.

Good Luck!

Took the Mountaineer to Tulsa, OK on Friday. 2 hr trip there and back....Shakedown Cruise to see if there were any big issues. I dont drive far where I am cause everything is pretty close.

She drove good, a little shimmy in the front, Im guessing it may be tire balancing, and some fresh brakes will be in order too. :)

Are you located in OKC too?

Looks nice. I have the Explorer/Mountaineer bug. Since 2001 I am now on # 20. Yes that is right #20. I buy them, fix them and flip them since 2017. In August 2017 I bought #4 and have made it up to #20 in only two years. Yes it is an addiction! LOL

Yes it is addicting :)
We all owe craigslist a huge thank you

Need a little help. The rear wiper has not been working so I thought I would check a few items to make sure. I pulled the rear cover and got access to all the sensors to indicate the door and hatch are closed, and tested them with a multi-meter. All are good!

When I turn it on, I get this clicking at the wiper motor, but seems to be initiated from the relays. Power is cycling constantly between the Wiper Up and Wiper Down relay under the hood in sequence. (see video)

This continues to cycle even when the switch on dash is turned off, until I open hatch and dis-engage the switches....It starts cycling when I turn switch on again.

Any advice or direction is appreciated. Hard to believe how useful it is when you dont have it. :)

I have tested power at these leads. It cycles as the relays cycle...power switches back and forth
index.php

Fuse Box Relays

index.php

Door Position Sensors: Rear glass hatch and both door latches on hatch
index.php

index.php
index.php

So you have no rear wiper. You have confirmed you get power to the motor and that the hatch close and glass close safety switches are closed and completing the circuit?
After this it likely just needs a new motor?
Just trying to make sure I am following your situation 100%

So you have no rear wiper. You have confirmed you get power to the motor and that the hatch close and glass close safety switches are closed and completing the circuit?
After this it likely just needs a new motor?
Just trying to make sure I am following your situation 100%

Yes, I pulled each safety switch, cleaned and checked for continuity off the vehicle. I re-installed and checked again for continuity and function. (checked good)

I removed and checked at relays under the hood, got voltage to both connections.

I don't have a schematic of the system, but I found voltage at 2 wires on the motor (see pictures above of exact wires)

It did work...intermittently and rarely, the shaft was also wonky, so the blade touched 1/4 of the glass, it seemed bent, but hard to tell. I'm thinking a bad motor too...I read in a few places that the gears inside have stripped or broke, it may be just jammed internally. I may just pick one up at JY and swap out, take this one apart.

What leads on the motor could you put 12v to on the motor to check its operational prior to pulling? (anyone got a schematic?) ;)

I have the 2000 wiring book downstairs Ill get it posted for you today

I have never gone as far as you to fix one of these, basically the system is pretty stout. If I have power (fues and relays prob good) the hatch and glass switches check out then I usually just replace the motor and it works again. I think I have fixed about 10 of these over the years, 7 of 10 were bad motors, 2 were bad glass switches and one was a bad dash switch.

I was spoiled though I literally had about 15 Gen II hatches in the back yard to pull parts from. When I moved to idaho I crushed years and years worth of Gen II stuff that was left over. Nothing like heading to the crusher with 50 side windows 20 hatches and about 15 doors people look at me really strange :)

liftgate wiper motor:

VT/YE - Park sensor to gem - circuit 587 gets grounded when wiper motor in park pos
BK/LB - Rear wiper down relay to motor (12V+) 411
WH/OR - Rear wiper up relay to motor (12V+) 410
BK - Ground

171_171254_290000000.jpg

171_171254_290000001.jpg

171_171254_290000002.jpg

171_171254_290000003.jpg

@turtle - Interesting, Ill check. Thank you.

I physically checked these points for power - lines up w/ the schematic which leads me closer to bad motor.

index.php

I believe the front air box (relay box #2) relays is blower, washer pump, & fogs.

I don't see any other rear wiper relays other than #8 down & #10 up, in the PDB.

What about the switch itself? Power to position #4 with key on?

if you have power at the motor for up and down then it pretty much tells us the fuse, both relays and the switch are working..........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the front air box (relay box #2) relays is blower, washer pump, & fogs.

I don't see any other rear wiper relays other than #8 down & #10 up, in the PDB.

What about the switch itself? Power to position #4 with key on?

I will verify that and report back.

Back