Tbars A4LD Temp Guage and Drain Plug | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tbars A4LD Temp Guage and Drain Plug

no one lists them for 1st gens.. You just have to find the right p/n of ones for other vehicles that work..

I've seen a few posted around here.. I just can't remember them, but I do know they never show they work for 1st gens, when they do.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I thought I had seen them on EF before but after searching, I don't see any P/N's listed...I know the Pepboys by me has a few different ones and the Autometer one they had I will check and see if it will work...

...I will probably add an ambient temp guage and maybe a digital clock for now...:dunno:...I'm thinking the digital clock with a stop watch feature may work to keep track of trail run times...If they make them...

...I thought I had seen them on EF before but after searching, I don't see any P/N's listed...I know the Pepboys by me has a few different ones and the Autometer one they had I will check and see if it will work...

I found the post that said it worked in a 1st gen...
p/n ATM-15308 in this thread.. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=217894

Bwana Bob said....
I bought an Autometer 2-gauge pod from egauges.com. It is part number ATM-15308. It is listed as fitting 95-99 Explorers, but it fits my 1st gen 1992 XLT perfectly.

The Autometer 15308 dual gauge pod fits Rangers from 1993 to present and Explorers from 1991 thru Gen II (I forget the year.) Some trucks have a grab-handle on the A-pillar, and that will have to be removed for the pod to fit.

Tbars - my digital camera has not arrived yet, but a friend of mine is coming over this weekend. I will take some pictures of my setup for you.

...Maniak, You are the man...:biggthump:

...and Scott, I will be awaiting your pics...;)

...Do they sell temp plugs for the extra holes??? I may run the other 2 holes empty for a bit...

...I went searching for the guage pods locally and will continue the search in the a.m....Everyone wants 3 days at least for delivery...The cheapest I found for those part #'s were at 4wheelparts.com and if the local store has them in stock I'll jump on it...

Note: This is the same P/N for a 95 Ranger or 95 Explorer, that also fits a 1st Gen X..
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Auto-Meter-Gauge-Works-Gauge-Pod.aspx?t_c=74&t_s=54&t_pt=4226&t_pl=142

...I found one for a 94 mustang made by Autometer at Pepboy's and IIRC, I thought someone else here used a mustang A-Pillar pod on their project($29.99)...:dunno:...If I can't get same day from 4wheelparts I will drive the X over to Pepboys and check it out...

...Pepboys also has a single and double Universal pillar pod made by someone else...The guages actually are left tilted up straight with the pillar pod..:thumbdwn:.The Autometer pod's tilt the guages to the driver....;)

...I went to Pepboy's this a.m. with the X, no luck on any of the A pillar pods fitting correctly...:(....I called the local 4wheelparts and they said the regional warehouse showed 1-double pod in stock and no single pods...If they were out it was special order only from them or 3-5 day order thru everyone else...I got the # for the new warehouse and went for a drive...

...I SCORED...:bounce:

...I also found some paint that is close enough for me at Pepboy's so I thought I would get the pod and plugs sprayed first before I have time to do the install...;)...At least it's not glossy black..

...The Part Numbers =ATM15308 for the double, ATM15309 for the single...
apillar003ni8.jpg

install002cs3.jpg

...And the paint, Medium Grey..
apillar004tf0.jpg

install003wu9.jpg

...This is a dry fit and it looks good for fitting and color...
apillar001ex8.jpg

apillar002jp6.jpg

...You drill 4 holes and install it with small ribbed plugs, they are about 1/4" wide and 5/8" deep...

...The other models I looked at had little screws but I am going to install this with Autometer's supplied plugs...I have also seen some with large plugs..:thumbdwn:
...My thinking is this should work well enough for offroad...If it doesn't, I will modify it...:dunno:

...I borrowed this pic from Aldive...If you look at the very top right you can see one of the little plugs...
attachment.php

Here are some pictures of my gauge pod.

It is the original Autometer black, and mounted with Velcro.

The DupliColor gray looks like a really good match.

Attachments

• GaugePod1.JPG
    GaugePod1.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,461
  • GaugePod2.JPG
    GaugePod2.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,309

...That looks nice...:thumbsup:...Mine with the white faces, chrome besels, and black pod, would look way to mod...

...:scratch:...One day I may white face my stock guages but for now, I settle for my blue needles...:(

..BB, You still need to drill holes to get the electrical and such into the pod..

What's that part above the pod on the pillar? I think the velcro idea sounds better than drilling holes, and using screws.

Autometer 15308 (see post #24)

I used self-adhesive Velcro (available at most home centers, etc.)

Sometime this month, I am going to mount a pod in my '06 Ranger - when I do, I will post a writeup with pictures.

...I think he means your tweeter...:dunno:

...I may also add a micro switch for the lights or possibly even a dimmer...:scratch:

...Mine with the white faces, chrome besels, and black pod, would look way to mod...

My newest (current???) plan is to change the interior color to black.

..BB, You still need to drill holes to get the electrical and such into the pod..

I drilled a hole in the A pillar behind the lower gauge to route the wires to behind the dash.

One other thing I did was to use a trailer light connector in the wiring harness, to make it possible to remove the gauge assembly (and A pillar) from the truck.

Post # 24 says that the Autometer 15308 is a dual gauge pod. What is the thing above the pod?

Sorry - I misread your post.

It is an Infinity tweeter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My newest (current???) plan is to change the interior color to black.

...Lol, I know how you feel...Everytime I do one thing 3 more items sprout up...:rolleyes:

...I do like the idea of the velcro and may do this myself as long as it doesn't stick out...I like tight fits...:D

Back