Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

TDC Balancer timing mark due south??!!! Opinions!!!

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by kdspapa, August 28, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. kdspapa

kdspapa Member

City, State:
    Southern Oregon -Grants Pass
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0L
    My 99 Mounty 5.0L has been showing a, if I remember correctly, P1309 code after I replaced my synchronizer and sensor. I thought I found TDC correctly but after my original post, in the New Member forum, and receiving a reply about my timing procedure, I purchased a piston stop and tried to verify TDC again. I found that when #1 piston is at the top of the compression stroke, the timing mark on the balancer is pointing due south toward the ground. I only see the one mark on the balancer which is a channel. Can someone verify for me that the balancer can be installed this way. Could it have been done this way to make it easier to time or something. I guess I must have installed the synchronizer 80 to 90 degrees off. Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited: August 30, 2012
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. kdspapa

kdspapa Member

City, State:
    99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0L
    P1309 TDC South update

Today I pulled the camshaft sensor off while the #1 piston was at the newly found TDC and found the camshaft synchronizer tab or flange (the do-hickey that rotates inside the top of the synchronizer) was resting at 10 degrees off time if it rotates around once per #1 piston cycle and if I have the rotational direction correct. I'm not sure how that happened, except for operator error, but I thought it would be farther off as the balancer TDC mark was around 80 degrees off the mark.

All said and done, the truck now runs good with no pinging at the top end and no CEL illumination. The truck seems to be some what peppier as well. We'll have to see if it improves my MPG.

Thanks for your help Trudle! :thumbsup:

Now to research what performance enhancements I can do to improve MPG that won't mess with the emmisions. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

4. colintrax

colintrax Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Georgia
    97 XLT and 91 Ranger
    Just as an fyi, TDC means both valves are closed as well. It would be on the compression stroke.

5. kdspapa

kdspapa Member

City, State:
    99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0L
    Thanks colintrax! The guy at AZone tried to tell me I would have air pressure out of the #1 sparkplug hole even on the exhaust stroke but doesn't the exhaust valve open thus elliminating the air pressure? I ran the balancer around more than half a dozen times feeling for the air pressure and I'm positive I know I had it on the compression stroke. I also used a small dowel (really a thin tent poll) to feel for the piston at the very top of its stroke. I stopped at a point where if I would had turned it even a fraction further the piston would start moving down. That is TDC, correct? The grooved timing mark was at 6:00 bottom.

We Support Our Troops!