tearing out my POS ford remote starter | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tearing out my POS ford remote starter

Our factory one works like a charm. It has long range and is reliable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got a BMW that you have to almost be standing next to when you operate anything. Dealer says it's SOP and normal. It's the most overengineered and underdesigned thing I have ever seen. If you hold the remote up to your chin stick your toungue out and raise your left leg over your head the range improves though.

Drives nice and turns heads but double the cost of my ex Limited.

I have the factory installed remore start in my limited. I have been able to start the Explorer from at least 175' away while it was parked in the garage. Haven't tried it from a further distance yet.
One thing to remember is that this particular remote start system will not work if two remote vehicle starts have already been attempted within the hour. The vehicle will flash the lights but will not start.
That might explain why some who are remote start testing find that their Ex won't start.

Peter

That answers some questions wrt to my EX erratic behavior. But that's pretty lame.

mine was the long rang one not the one built into the key fob.

ford say it should be 1000ft (http://www.partscheap.com/2011-2012-Ford-Explorer-Remote-Start-p/bb5z-19g364-e.htm) i know this is in open area, so real range should be 200-350ft no problem, i couldn't start it in driveway, it wouldn't start out back of my office, or when at a store. in and open lot i could get about 150ft at best. but as soon as a wall or anything was between me n it... nothing, it would send the signal and light up but never start or give a confirmation. (same problem friends had with theirs too)
The range quotes on these things are always "up to". And it all depends on terrain, obstructions, etc.

I have the exact same unit and it will work from the upper floors of an office building, about 450 feet away into the interior floors of a parking garage - if I park on the ends, and I hold the key fob up to the office window. It seems to work fine in big box stores, the grocery store, etc. But there are places where I would think it would, but must be radio intereference around and it won't.

What you have is a low power radio - so if you are in a building that shields the signal, it won't work as well. But then depending on the building construction, no radio may work, including a cell phone. One small office building I go into is a metal shell, and nothing gets in or out of it, including my phone.

So, blanket statements like "don't buy this it's a piece of crap" are kind of lame. Some people will say theirs works fine, and others, not so much. The answer always on range is "it depends".

I have remote start on my '11 Limited and regularly start my car from my 4th floor office window (pointing down to the car in the parking lot) even when the car is in the back of the lot.

I don't know much about remote starters other than as RonJrSVCMGR, they seem to be difficult to install. My Flex (car before the X) didn't come with remote start so the dealer installed one saying it was OEM. It turned out not to be, but I made out like a bandit because what they installed was MUCH MUCH BETTER than the OEM remote. For starters, it was incorporated into the factory key, unlike the OEM model which required a separate fob.

I discovered about the aftermarket remote because there was a thread on the Flex forum with the same stuff as this thread -- mine works ok, mine doesn't have range, mine does, etc. Then someone mentioned about the extra key fob and I was like, UH?!?

The guys didn't believe me, so I ended up having to do a YouTube video to show them that indeed my remote start was incorporated into the OEM key.

Anyway, when I sold the Flex I had the remote start taken out and installed on my friend's MKX by the guy that did the original install. It took him over two hours to do the job and it was because of what RonJrSVCMGR said. The installer explained that the power source is critical in making sure that the remote works as designed.

Just for ***** and grins, here's the YouTube Flex video :)

[YouTube]LPJbCtAQKkI[/YouTube]

I have the factory installed remore start in my limited. I have been able to start the Explorer from at least 175' away while it was parked in the garage. Haven't tried it from a further distance yet.
One thing to remember is that this particular remote start system will not work if two remote vehicle starts have already been attempted within the hour.[/B] The vehicle will flash the lights but will not start.
That might explain why some who are remote start testing find that their Ex won't start.

Peter

Peter your right.
Once you actually start the vehicle your good to go.
From the owners guide.

Extending the engine run time
To keep the engine running for another remote start duration, repeat
Steps 1 and 2 with the engine still running. If you programmed the
duration to last 10 minutes, the second 10 minutes will begin
immediately so that, for example, if the vehicle had been running from
the first remote start for five minutes, the engine will continue to run for
a total of 15 minutes. You can only extend the remote start once.
If the vehicle is remote started then remote stopped, wait at least five
seconds before remote starting a second time.
The ignition must be turned on and then back off or allow one hour to
pass before using remote start again if additional remote starts are
desired.

Our factory one works like a charm. It has long range and is reliable.

Same here. Works like a charm. When you say no range, how close do you have to be for it to work? Mine has always worked at any distance I have tried so far...

about 100ft at best with line of sight

on i side note: i spoke to dealer that sold it (not my local dealer) over the weekend, they said they too have had a number of complaints about the range of the starters. so i guess its not just me. but theres nothing worse than going out to a car thats -30F in the wider cos it didn't start with the system installed to fix this problem.

I'll be installing a directed product (viper, avital, python etc) in my 13.

Im also installing the viper smart start which I have in my 09 Pilot. Works with most smartphones and has unlimited range - provided your car is in an area with cell coverage.

I have remote start on my '11 Limited and regularly start my car from my 4th floor office window (pointing down to the car in the parking lot) even when the car is in the back of the lot.

I don't know much about remote starters other than as RonJrSVCMGR, they seem to be difficult to install. My Flex (car before the X) didn't come with remote start so the dealer installed one saying it was OEM. It turned out not to be, but I made out like a bandit because what they installed was MUCH MUCH BETTER than the OEM remote. For starters, it was incorporated into the factory key, unlike the OEM model which required a separate fob.

I discovered about the aftermarket remote because there was a thread on the Flex forum with the same stuff as this thread -- mine works ok, mine doesn't have range, mine does, etc. Then someone mentioned about the extra key fob and I was like, UH?!?

The guys didn't believe me, so I ended up having to do a YouTube video to show them that indeed my remote start was incorporated into the OEM key.

Anyway, when I sold the Flex I had the remote start taken out and installed on my friend's MKX by the guy that did the original install. It took him over two hours to do the job and it was because of what RonJrSVCMGR said. The installer explained that the power source is critical in making sure that the remote works as designed.

Just for ***** and grins, here's the YouTube Flex video :)

LPJbCtAQKkI

What type of aftermarket starter is that?? That is EXACTLY what we want to do. We don't want another key fob on the chain (already have to carry my key, my wife's Ex key, my key fob, office keys.) We were told that it wasn't possible to have remote start with that 4-button key that has tailgate open.

My factory installed remote work great. Helps cool the car down and/or heat it up. When traveling with a pet we start the car from a restaurant and let the ac run for 10 mins every few minutes.

What type of aftermarket starter is that?? That is EXACTLY what we want to do. We don't want another key fob on the chain (already have to carry my key, my wife's Ex key, my key fob, office keys.) We were told that it wasn't possible to have remote start with that 4-button key that has tailgate open.

I should have just watched the video on YouTube. DEI 561T. Unfortunately that product is no longer available, it is now the Avital 4003. I need to confirm if the Explorer's keyless entry will still function when the vehicle is running.

It really seems like Ford is missing the boat on providing an OEM module that works on the XLT with the power liftgate and four button key.

It really seems like Ford is missing the boat on providing an OEM module that works on the XLT with the power liftgate and four button key.
I'm not sure if you are talking about a module for the remote start or to give the XLT a power liftgate. If you want to be able to add a OEM module to give the XLT a power liftgate I would think that it is more involved than simply adding a module. You need to have the wiring in place and the sensors as well. Also, from a marketing point of view, it likely cost Ford sales of the Limited with the power liftgate option. They would make much more revenue getting people to opt for the Limited than by selling a few 'modules'.

Peter

I'm not sure if you are talking about a module for the remote start or to give the XLT a power liftgate. If you want to be able to add a OEM module to give the XLT a power liftgate I would think that it is more involved than simply adding a module. You need to have the wiring in place and the sensors as well. Also, from a marketing point of view, it likely cost Ford sales of the Limited with the power liftgate option. They would make much more revenue getting people to opt for the Limited than by selling a few 'modules'.

Peter

I was talking about remote start. I understand it's trying to get people to opt for the Limited. I didn't want to spend that much extra money for ambient lighting.

I was talking about remote start. I understand it's trying to get people to opt for the Limited. I didn't want to spend that much extra money for ambient lighting.
It's much more than ambient lighting, which by the way, can be added as an accessory.

Peter

I have an AstroStart RSS-2514XR. Darn thing can start the truck from the back of a parking lot. Love having It installed on those super hot summer days or ice cold mornings. Cools off the interior or during the winter I can preset the heater and defroster!!! AWESOME:thumbsup:

got the AstroStart® RSS-5225. SOOOOOO much better than the ford one i removed... i can finally start it from my house and my office at work .i tested this AstroStart today and was able to go a little over a 1/2mile away in town amongst building etc and almost 3/4mile in the open with sight of EX, rather than 20ft i had been dealing with.

i can recommend this option to everyone, (ps wife also has the RSS-2514XR in her focus, also works great for 2yrs now)

Lesson learnt, OEM still aren't upto-par with the aftermarket options. (i guess it was worth a try)

I am glad you jumped the gun and went for it. I have never had any problems with mine other than the guy that did the install left the wires all uncovered but that is alright. Went to harbor freight and bought a 15ft role of wire loom and covered all of it. My only complaint is there is no launch control button on the key fob haha:p:

I really like the idea of the Avital 4003 (replacement model for the 561T shown in the video) and not having to have a separate FOB.

How does it work with the keyed ignition? Do you remote start, then unlock the door, get in, insert the key, and then still turn the key as if you were going to start it?

Also, my concern, my range with the factory FOB for simply locking and unlocking the doors is really sporadic. Sometimes it works from 100' away, other times I have to be standing right next to the car and hit it several times before it responds to lock/unlock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

POS Remote Starters from FORD

I wholeheartedly agree! The Remote Starter that FORD sells for $500 is a P.O.S! Mine will work from 20 ft away once, tehn only 10ft away the next time, then sometimes not at all standing right beside the vehicle! WTF!!!!!

I am in a battle with the dealership and soon Ford Canada to get this ripped out and my money back OR a better Aftermarket one installed in its place!

Will let you know what happens.

FORD - Forget Operating Remote Drive?

Back