• Register Today It's free!

temp fluctuation

alchemist

Reaction score
City, State
Baldwin, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD and 95 XL
I bought a 95 X off another member here, and have a question about temperature fluctuations from the engine.

Basically the temp gauge will go up rapidly then go back down to "normal" and it does it every few minutes or so. It never makes it into the red, but its starting to concern me.

Any thoughts on what would cause the temp to fluctuate like this? I believe it has a newer water pump/radiator/tstat as well.

Thanks
Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The behavior you describe can occur when you have air in the cooling system. You've probably already checked the obvious, but just in case...since you indicated the water pump, thermostat, and radiator were recently replaced, it is possible you still have some air in your cooling system. First, ensure your cooling system and coolant reservoir are full (engine cool, of course). Then do two or three additional engine warm up, cool down, and coolant topoff cycles. (It normally takes my Explorer three of those cycles to eliminate all the air after I replace the coolant.)

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi..
Don't overlook the thermosat. This is also the way (At least mine) acted before it complertely failed.. An air lock would also make the heater go on and off.
Don't discount the obvious..
Ron Husak
Conifer, Co

i also had a similar problem with my 94xlt, my tstat guage was saying that it was running fine the it would be getting up there but not outside normal, but it concernd me, now i changed my tstat adn not it stays down by cool bearly gets to normal, i think its either the guage or the tstat is stuck open i heard that its a big problem with explorers, the thermostats sticking open and close that is!!

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to double check for an air pocket by making sure the resivour and radiator are full after a few startups.

Back