1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

temp fluctuation

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by alchemist, January 1, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. alchemist

alchemist Member

City, State:
      Baldwin, WI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 XLT 5.0 AWD and 95 XL
      I bought a 95 X off another member here, and have a question about temperature fluctuations from the engine.

Basically the temp gauge will go up rapidly then go back down to "normal" and it does it every few minutes or so. It never makes it into the red, but its starting to concern me.

Any thoughts on what would cause the temp to fluctuate like this? I believe it has a newer water pump/radiator/tstat as well.

Thanks
      Eric

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 1995_Ford_XLT

1995_Ford_XLT New Member

City, State:
      Ohio
      1995 XLT
      The behavior you describe can occur when you have air in the cooling system. You've probably already checked the obvious, but just in case...since you indicated the water pump, thermostat, and radiator were recently replaced, it is possible you still have some air in your cooling system. First, ensure your cooling system and coolant reservoir are full (engine cool, of course). Then do two or three additional engine warm up, cool down, and coolant topoff cycles. (It normally takes my Explorer three of those cycles to eliminate all the air after I replace the coolant.)

I hope this helps. Good luck!

4. Ron Husak

Ron Husak New Member

Hi..
      Don't overlook the thermosat. This is also the way (At least mine) acted before it complertely failed.. An air lock would also make the heater go on and off.
      Don't discount the obvious..
      Ron Husak
      Conifer, Co

5. kdogg212001

kdogg212001 Active Member

City, State:
      stockton, california
      94 xlt
      i also had a similar problem with my 94xlt, my tstat guage was saying that it was running fine the it would be getting up there but not outside normal, but it concernd me, now i changed my tstat adn not it stays down by cool bearly gets to normal, i think its either the guage or the tstat is stuck open i heard that its a big problem with explorers, the thermostats sticking open and close that is!!

6. alchemist

alchemist Member

City, State:
      Baldwin, WI
      97 XLT 5.0 AWD and 95 XL
      Thanks for the replies. I'm going to double check for an air pocket by making sure the resivour and radiator are full after a few startups.