• Register Today It's free!

temp gauge roaming

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
City, State
Roseburg Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer EB
hey every one , I've got a problem , that maybe some one here can help me with ...94 Ranger with 4.0 engine and 5 speed ...had the radiator split out , replaced it with a brand new one . Ever since then I've had this wild temp gauge swing ....I mean it will show it to the end of NORMAL...meaning the "L" ...then swing back to the "N" just as fast ....the temp was also fluctuating int the heater ...so I replaced the thermostate ....and the gauge is still doing the same and so is the in cab heat ....the engine is running as smooth as glass...no oil concumption , nor coolant ....I've seen a tsb for a gauge swing problem , but it does'nt mention heat fluctuations ....also can't find what the factory said to fix the problem .....I've also purged the air @ the heater core ...the entire cooling system is full ...no trapped air , just have'nt happened across the fix yet .....can any one help?
thanks Ashley

Replace the radiator cap.

...replaced the cap , and still have the same problem , I'm, going to get one of those heater hose "t's" soo I can burp this thing reall well aand replace the teempp gauge sender unit ,I just can't stand this roaming...Ii could iinstall aftermarket gauges , but where is the room in a ranger ?...I'll just keep goin' till I get it fixed....thankks foor your tips Tom

Back