Temperature/ compass display | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temperature/ compass display

jbwilson3791

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I recently purchased a 2004 Ford Explorer XLS with very low miles and everything is in near perfect condition. My only trouble is that the outside temperature and direction aren't showing in the control panel. I guess I'm not even positive that it is supposed to show up, but when I put the car in auxiliary mode you can see where that info is supposed to be lights up and then goes away when the car is started. Any ideas? Do some models not have this option? Or is it broken?

Hey JB,
I have a 2003 Explore Sport Trac XLS, and I have the same problem with the compass and the outside temperature guage. The local Ford dealer told me that the module cost arount $140.00, but being as the dash lights are out on the left side of the dash and on the right side of the cruise control (in the steering wheel), I suspect there is a cable that has corrosion under the terminals.

Perhaps someone else has some places to look, I will keep you aware of what I find when I dig into it, which will probably be next spring.
John

Hey JB,
I have a 2003 Explore Sport Trac XLS, and I have the same problem with the compass and the outside temperature guage. The local Ford dealer told me that the module cost arount $140.00, but being as the dash lights are out on the left side of the dash and on the right side of the cruise control (in the steering wheel), I suspect there is a cable that has corrosion under the terminals.

Perhaps someone else has some places to look, I will keep you aware of what I find when I dig into it, which will probably be next spring.
John

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Try posting in the Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Sub Forum. Your '03 Sport Trac is covered there. Click here to go there now.

Good luck. :D:thumbsup:

I recently purchased a 2004 Ford Explorer XLS with very low miles and everything is in near perfect condition. My only trouble is that the outside temperature and direction aren't showing in the control panel. I guess I'm not even positive that it is supposed to show up, but when I put the car in auxiliary mode you can see where that info is supposed to be lights up and then goes away when the car is started. Any ideas? Do some models not have this option? Or is it broken?

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

LED display problems are common with the 3rd Gen Ex.

My display kept displaying hieroglyphs & going out.

I used this thread for removing the cluster: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218636

I used this thread for the repair: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217490

Good luck!! :biggthump

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Back