• Register Today It's free!

Temperature Control Buttons

mjoyal4

Reaction score
City, State
Somewhere, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
I took apart my dash today and took the temperature controls off. It's a white box-like with the silver front on it. What I want to do it remove the green film behind it and replace the bulbs with blue ones.

The problem is I don't know how to detach the face-plate from the rest of it without damaging the front..

Anyone do this before and can help?

Edit:
0720100706.jpg

0720100706a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have to pry the white portion faceplate up slightly then push the black tab underneath the retainer. Best way is to use a mini flathead from the rear of the tab, pry up, then slide the black tab underneath the screwdriver.

alright thanks. I'll try that when I get a chance.
Just didn't want to break it..

I tried something similar on the exact type gauges and I screwed up and somehow it separated wasting the silver face. I'm not saying Joe D. is wrong but use care because I ruined my extra set. Maybe Joe you can provide more details because I too would like to change the green film to blue. I just gave up after wasting a good gauge set.

Got the Pieces Apart

I got the black and white housing apart. The green film is more of a gel and if I scratch it, I may damage the silver cover that shows on the front.

What's the best way to get rid of the green without damaging anything?

Or

Is there a replacement part I can put on in place of the current silver front.
I saw what looked like an indiglo faceplate before, but I can't find it again or where they sell it.

And where's the best place to get a blue film/ transparent paint/ gel cap to turn the controls blue?

And where's the best place to get a blue film/ transparent paint/ gel cap to turn the controls blue?

Any hobby shop in your area should have this.

Okay, thank you.

I need to buy a replacement now for it. Someone thought they could help and ended up tearing the faceplate apart..
Are there any after market replacements? I can't find any..

okay I'll look for some.

Those won't fit but thank you for the idea.

Mine looks like this:
DSCN2838-1.jpg

I'd like to get rid of the green when it lights up.

Back