Temperature Sensor Keeps coming out! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temperature Sensor Keeps coming out!

tclark228

Reaction score
City, State
Gulf Coast, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer EB
I have a 2005 V6 Explorer. Yesterday I gunned the engine to get around someone on the highway and all of a sudden I smelled coolant and saw a leaking trail coming from behind my car as I drove down the highway. I pulled over and popped the hood and there was coolant everywhere and I saw that the temperature sensor on the top of the thermostat housing had come unplugged. What would cause this to happen? Air in the system? Or is the housing plug port just worn out? I put the plug in and refilled coolant and it drove fine and once I gunned the engine again it popped back out. Thanks for any help you've got

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess just the o-ring on the sensor. I can't see anywhere that a clip would go or anything and that holds true with all the pictures and videos ive seen online. It doesn't make much sense to me

I guess just the o-ring on the sensor. I can't see anywhere that a clip would go or anything and that holds true with all the pictures and videos ive seen online. It doesn't make much sense to me

There's a retainer clip, looks like this. This picture shows the clip being removed.

You push the sensor into place, then insert the clip from the side. The housing has some slots in it that accept the clip.

There's a retainer clip, looks like this. This picture shows the clip being removed.

You push the sensor into place, then insert the clip from the side. The housing has some slots in it that accept the clip.

Awesome Bob thanks for the reply. I can't find the clip on advanceauto or autozone sites. Do you know what its called or wehre I could find one?

Thanks again

NAPA and Dorman aftermarket sensor clips. (W706800S303)

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...erature-Sensor-Clip/_/R-NDP7305034_0437476050

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-67898-800-019.aspx?origin=keyword

DSC03023.jpg
DSC02236.jpg

Bump for a valuable lesson in trusting your instincts over your gauges... I've got to go see how much of my brand-new coolant needs replaced, and if I toasted the engine after "I feel like it's losing coolant, but the temp gauge isn't showing anything out of range so I'll be stupid and keep driving."

I too lost the coolant temp sensor after gunning it. Maybe I can get this part at a Junkyard?

Back