Test drove the Jeep Rubicon:Pictures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Test drove the Jeep Rubicon:Pictures

FAKRWEE

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Carlsbad, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Jeep Rubicon
Test drove the new Jeep Rubicon. They didn't let me take it off-road because of insurance problems:confused: They've seen my Navajo I guess.:D Anyway on road really didn't impress me much. The six cyl. feels anemic compared with the Explorer 6. Steering feels pretty loose, you have to make slight adjustments all the time. Test drove both the Automatic and the stick shift. The stick feels more solid than the auto. Price range is between $26,000 & $28,000.

Attachments

• no driver.jpg
    no driver.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 552

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another:

Attachments

• tom driving 2.jpg
    tom driving 2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 671

Another

Attachments

• tom driving 1.jpg
    tom driving 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 604

Almost too pretty for off road.;)

17" wheels on a vehicle built for off-roading... dumbest decision It hink I've seen (well other then IRS, ehh heh)

My ex has a 98 Wrangler Sahara with the D44 rear, 4.10 L/S, 4.0L inline 6 and the stick. 32" tires and it scoots!!!! I think that straight six makes good power, still nowhere near what my modded OHV 4.)L does though,.....

I like it, I wouldnt pay that much for one, or but a Jeep, but if you dont know any better, it;s a good vehicle.

Where do you put your stuff? thats all I want to know, oh and the friggin sift top is annoying on the highway, the hardtop is nice in the winter though.

I'll keep my Bronco.......

Every once in a while you need some re-assurance that you are doing the right thing though!!! too bad they dont have GF dealers...........

The only Jeep that will come with 44's is the Rubicon from now on I was told. You will not be able to special order them like before.

I had forgotten how small they are inside. I don't know if I could get used to it after wheeling in the Navajo. BIG difference.

Yea the softops are pretty noisey. They flap a lot.

I'd rather spend that money and build my own rig.

FAKRWEE you looked horrible in it anyways. Your much more handsome in your Navajo.

Thanks Pos, that did it, I'm keeping the Navajo:D It looks too small for me anyway.

The Heep doesn't have a big enough cargo area for when you go "camping" and testing the suspension :D Definately a major drawback!

Seems to me that you could get a base Wrangler for say 19-20k, throw 10k in it and it would be a helluva lot better than the Rubicon for the same amount of money.

couple of things i would like to point out
Matt - no wrangler comes with 17s the Rubicon comes with 16s wrapped with Goodyear MTRs

Fawkree - you will still be able to get a rear 44 in the Sport and the Sahara.
To stop the top flapping turn the a/c to recirculated air and it will blow the top up like a balloon and then you can go 75+ with little to no flapping.

Doesn't look much different then a regular wrangler on the outside. Now if they would have put a better suspension setup and some 33's, then they'd have something to brag about! But like Hartman said, much better to put your own money into a jeep that is cheaper.

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by JoshC
Doesn't look much different then a regular wrangler on the outside. Now if they would have put a better suspension setup and some 33's, then they'd have something to brag about! But like Hartman said, much better to put your own money into a jeep that is cheaper.

Happy trails!!

Bah! 4:1 T-case, electropneumatic lockers front and rear, 44s front and rear, rocker protection, 4.10s front and rear, with all that I think Jeep can brag seeing as how every other manufacturer is trying to get away from all that stuff.

Why is it so low? Surely those tires rub.

Bah! 4:1 T-case, electropneumatic lockers front and rear, 44s front and rear, rocker protection, 4.10s front and rear, with all that I think Jeep can brag
Bah it's still a Heep, and to quote my wise old grampa "You can't polish a turd";)

Originally posted by ok89

Bah! 4:1 T-case, electropneumatic lockers front and rear, 44s front and rear, rocker protection, 4.10s front and rear, with all that I think Jeep can brag seeing as how every other manufacturer is trying to get away from all that stuff.

Yeah, that's all great but that stuff isn't getting you anywhere with out flex and some bigger rubber!! Lets face if, i can do the exact same stuff to my explorer and still not be able to hang with the big dawgs cause of the lack of ground clearance. I'm not trying to start a flame here, just a matter of opinion. I've got nothing against Jeeps at all cause to me if you take it on the trail then i'll go with ya!!

Happy trails!!

i thought they were supposed to come with 35s....?

but i like it. if i had the money, i might buy one. or save up a few $$thousand more and get a land rover

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After looking at the pictures again, I still don't see how it's a capable stock wheeling rig when it is that low to the ground.

Back