Testing Sport Trac back window motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Testing Sport Trac back window motor

johnnylisa

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer Sport Trac
2002 Sport Trac. I have replaced the back window regulator and followed the diagnostic procedure for the switch and believe it is functioning correctly. The old motor did not respond to the initialization procedure, so I purchased another. It also does not respond to either of the initialization procedures I have found. I have not found any reference to testing the motors themselves; the diagnostic sheet just says if the switch tests good with a meter then replace the motor. Can someone tell me a good way to test the motors to determine if they are indeed defective or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no power in the switch except for the light. Everything pertaining to window operation is grounds. I have not seen test procedures for the motor itself, as far as I remember. I don't know where your initialization instructions are coming from so I'll send you what I have on the rear window. Check your mail in a few minutes.

Thank you very much for the reply. I found 2 initialization procedures online for these back windows between the cab and truck bed - the only difference being the order of opening and closing the driver's side door while initializing the motor. It's really just pushing the switch 6 times with the ignition ON and then 6 times with the ignition OFF. If successful the motor is supposed to move up and down about an inch; the rest of the setup procedure can then proceed. Neither of my motors, original or replacement, reacts at all. I will try to find information on what wires to test for proper ground.

Thanks again,
John

One other thing - I don't know if the windows share any common wiring, but the four door windows in the truck operate just fine.

John

Check the grounds behind both kick panels.

The rear window is not common to the door windows.

Still stumped

Ok, I'm still stumped by this thing.

After repeatedly testing the wiring harness, checking the kick panel grounds and trying to initialize both motors, I took the truck to the local Ford dealership and paid them a flat diag fee to see if I was missing something on this rear window problem. They worked on it for about 4 hours - tested the switch harness, removed the front seat when they thought there might be a solder joint problem in a wire connection, tried both motors (original and replacement) and finally said I must have two bad motors because they couldn't find anything else. The second mechanic that looked at it did note that the switch light bulb was out and speculated that the switch might be bad.

I purchased a cheap used motor online that was tested and guaranteed working and put it in today. After initializing, the motor does indeed move the window to the fully closed position, but will not do anything else. I can remove the motor and manually lower the window and repeat the process with the same result. I pulled the switch from the dash and disassembled it to see if there is anything obviously wrong with it. It looks fine and the meter indicates that there is continuity to all the contacts.

Can anyone suggest anything else to look for or try to get this window to operate correctly?

Thanks,
John

The instructions ncranchero sent you, when you do the initialization process has you confirmed completed? I think the confirmation was the window would go down an inch or so and back up, in the last step, to signal completed. Did you every get that? When you started the process do you remember if you started step 1 when the window was up or down. I can't remember where I got the instructions I used from…most likely ncranchero, but nowhere in the steps did it say what position the window needed to be in prior to starting. I thought in the up position cause when mines wasn't working that's where it stayed, up. I looked at the 1st couple steps involving the windowing turning and it made since to me that the window needed to be in the down position. I got it down but can't remember how I did it now. Once I had it in the down position I then started the steps and in the last step I received confirmation completed, like is said something along the lines of a down up movement of the window. And it worked for me.

The steps are tricky and need to be followed exactly, it literally took me a dozen times if not more. If you know the position was up when you started definately give my suggestion a try and give it at least 3 attempts this way if the 1st is unsuccessful. Hopefully this can help and reply back if successful

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the initialization procedure many times - most with the window in the down position, with a couple in the up position just to see if it would make any difference.

I have not seen the motor react to the initialization procedure with the up/down movement described in the instructions.

I have been trying two different initialization procedures provided by ncranchero. The only difference in these is the sequence of opening and closing the driver's side door.

Haven't quite given up yet,
John

Well at least that narrows it down, I would assume (I'm no guru!) but if you have not got the confirmation or process complete/programmed then something is going on in the procedure or steps.

Like I said, it's been awhile since I had to do my back window. If you or ncranchero can send me the 2 procedures your using. It wouldn't hurt looking and maybe something will pop out at me from when I did mine.

Finally got the window working as it should. Today I installed the FOURTH motor with the dash switch that went with it from a Sport Trac that someone in my area is parting out. I don't know what made the difference - motor, switch or both - but it responded immediately to the second initialization procedure I tried and is working now as it should.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, schematics and initialization procedures. :)

John

Back