Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

That blasted egr tube......

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by newexplorerguy, September 25, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. newexplorerguy

newexplorerguy New Member

City, State:
      Vacaville, Ca.
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 limited (gone)
      Hi all;
      Well; heard a pop when I started up to go to work a couple of nights ago. Right after that; I could hear an exhaust leak. I had been hearing a light ticking noise from that side for a while. So; I took a look; and, lo and behold, the damn egr tube was broken in half.
      So; I take a ride over to serramonte ford yesterday and told the guy at the parts counter what I needed. He looks it up, says "yea, we have three of them; with tax its $73.59; do you want it?
      Well; after resisting the urge to choke the living snot out of him, I just said "well, I've got to have it".
      So; I then took my gold plated piece of pipe and two steel nuts home and prepared to install it.
      Well; suffice to say; if you ever need to know how to replace that puppy with an adjustable wrench, a pair of pliers and a knife, just give me a call; i'll tell you how.
      And who's the rocket scientist that decided that attaching two rubber hoses to an item that gets that hot was a great idea? I had to cut those two hoses to get the piece out.
      Well; it runs a lot better now. It runs better now than it did before the tube broke. That ticking noise I heard previously must have been the tube in the process of coming apart. Oh, well; live and learn.
      And who the hell is it at ford that comes up with those prices? I'd like to kick him square in the...( insert your favorite word here)!
      George

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      '97 Sport 4x4
      I don't think $73.59 is that bad....at least it made your truck run better.

I lost the cup holder insert (thin plastic piece that you can take out to clean). It was stuck on a Taco Bell cup and I didn't realize it was gone until I was a hundred miles away from the trash can I threw the cup into. The Ford dealer here wanted $17.32 for the replacement. Not only that, they said it was on national backorder (I guess I wasn't the only one stupid enough to throw it away). I waited 6 weeks and they still couldn't predict when I might get one, so I got my money back. I have managed to adapt to not having the $17 part that probably cost $.05 to make.

4. Doug Gage

Doug Gage New Member

City, State:
      Orangeville, Ontario
      94 xlt
      egr tube

Thanks for the help on the egr tube. My 94 did exactly the same thing and I couldn't find out what was wrong with it. I here to see if anyone else had the same problem and when I read your post, I check my egr tube and sure enough it was broken. Thanks for the help!
      Now can you tell me how you got the nuts off?
      Doug

5. ShadowA2J

ShadowA2J Active Member

City, State:
      Fort Gratiot, MI
      '01 Sport, '80 Vette
      Doug Gage, welcome to the best Explorer site there is!!

Dogfriend, here you go, you can now have your very own cupholder for $13.50 shipped, that's a savings of $4!! Buy your cupholder here!! :D

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      '97 Sport 4x4
      Thanks, but that one won't fit a 97 console.

I finally got a new one from fordpartsnetwork.com but it cost about $25 after shipping:rolleyes:

7. RacerX

RacerX New Member

1997 Mountaineer
      Great rant, George! I've got the "5.0 noise" up on the passenger side of my '97 Mountaineer, so I'll soon be replacing that miserable part, too.

You actually got it loose with an adjustable wrench? Details, please! I was thinking that a long socket extension and a "crowfoot" wrench/socket might be the best choice. The parts counter guy at the dealership smiled smugly and told me: "Have fun replacing that damned thing." :frustrate

8. lonestar

lonestar Well-Known Member

City, State:
      lou,ky
      91 XLT, 02 XLS
      EGR tube
      Cup Holder Insert

For parts like that, I would visit a junkyard.
      My guess, about $5 fot both.

About the only parts I buy new are electrical parts, unless it's cheap already.