• Register Today It's free!

That's irritating!

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Just got my parts that I ordered from Rock Auto. Inside was a box of cylinder head bolts. It looked like it had been opened and taped back shut. Probably nothing I thought. I've counted 4 times now and I can only find 15 bolts. Went through the entire box to make sure it didn't fall out and it's not there. Went to their site. Turns out you can't call and talk to anyone, you have to report it online, they'll review it and let you know in a day. Now I have to wait until I have a vehicle available and spend an 45 minutes driving to the nearest parts store and back to buy a whole new set.
In the scheme of things it's probably not that big of a deal, but it seems like one right now.
I assume it's not a good idea to reuse 1 of the head bolts and replace the other 15?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, that does suck!!
It's generally considered to not be a good idea to reuse them but plenty of us have a time or two. I'd reuse one just long enough until a new replacement comes. Try to use it in the middle, not on the ends of the head. My .02 cents...

Thanks for the information on Rock Auto - I'll be sure to keep that in mind when/if I ever need to order from them. Your experience is going into my Gen1 data binder along with all the other great information I've received from this site.

I wouldn't reuse them. They've already been overstretched. Last thing you want, is to try and extract a broken head bolt.

Let us know how the return goes, this is what can kill you ordering online, ship-to-home.

Rock Auto is tough to deal with for returns. I bought a bunch of filters that were shown as "Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty". I only buy WIX filters so this would mean that the private label would be NAPA, CarQuest and ones like that, no big deal.

However, when they arrived, they were CarQuest red filters which is their lower line, like NAPA silver. I had paid for the premium WIX line which would have been CarQuest blue or NAPA Gold. I submitted the claim via their website and went back and fourth a few times trying to explain it. The problem was, each time, someone new would answer. A single person doesn't handle your case. In the end, I kinda gave up since the filters are still WIX and the quality is good, I just don't feel I got what I ordered. The price was right though so I'm not going to let it sour my experience. It's the kind of gamble you take when dealing with the "Wholesaler Closeout".

I ended up going to town an bought a set of FelPro bolts. I had to rent the fan clutch tool as well as i wasn't going to win that battle. In the end i got everything apart last night and shoulld be able to get it buttoned back up today.
I got a response back from Rock Auto last night. We'll see how this process goes.

Back