The 5R55E and the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 5R55E and the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I remember when they were under $50. There is another one that they sell with Sonnax updates, and a lifetime warranty for $199. You could rebuild your current valve body or get one from them. Donny from Central Valve Bodies gives Explorer Forum members a discount if you want to price him as well.

So how do you think. Would it be good choice to buy it: http://www.800700tran.com/prod.itml/icOid/80 ?
The price seems to be good. Does it solve well-known 2-3 gear issue?

Regards, Marcin

That place sells mainly used parts, or assemblies. We have read of some issues here with people trying a VB that supposedly came from a good trans. I'd use them as a used parts source, but not as a repair solve an issue source. Spare parts, not repair parts. I'd only buy stuff from them for a trans that doesn't have known issues, like the 4R70W. Then you aren't gambling much, the 5R55E parts are a gamble to use from another unknown trans.

Go with the other choice for an upgraded VB if that's your route to take. Regards,

I think you are right. And what is your opinion about VB with Sonax upgrade sold by them?

Regards, Marcin

I think you are right. And what is your opinion about VB with Sonax upgrade sold by them?

Regards, Marcin

I ordered one of the Sonnax-updated VBs from 800700tran on 11/18/09 after talking to Anna on the phone. They offered a new OE EPC solenoid and no extra charge, so I went with 800700tran instead of Central Valve Bodies even though the price was higher.
I think I made a mistake. I still don't have the valve body, never received a shipment confirmation, and 800700tran is not answering the phone. I've been calling almost hourly since last Friday morning.

That's not good to hear.

That's not good to hear.

Don't I know it.
I sent them an email--though they're notorious for not answering emails--letting them know that if I can't get through on the phone by the end of the week, the order is canceled and I'll get any charges removed from my credit card.
And then I'll do what I should have done in the first place, namely order the VB from Central.

You have it under control, that's the key. Don't let it go, they may or may not have a good reason for the delay.

Checked out the Tampa area Better Business Bureau last night. Turns out that Wholesale Transmission & Parts aka 800700tran gets an "F" from the BBB. 22 complaints in the last 36 months, including failure to deliver items that were ordered.
They've already billed my credit card, but I've already started the process to get the charge removed, sent a second email canceling the order entirely.
If you call the 800 number now, you're directed to an automated answering service but the voice mail box is full.

Thanks for telling us about the BBB complaints. They were a good source for parts about a year ago when many members on this site posted positive feedback about their transactions. Their prices were much cheaper a year ago when their product line was smaller. I've heard a few complaints over the past 3 months, but I didn't think that there were so many complaints filed against them. Transmission Parts USA is an excellent source of parts, and I have personal experience dealing with them. Deal with them, and Central Valve Bodies from now on.

An Update

After days of trying to get someone at 800700tran on the phone, Anna called me on Wednesday and I spoke with her on Thursday. Apparently the business is now called Affordable Transmission and she told me she was trying to get my valve body out Friday (12/4/09) and that I should have it by the following Monday, however I canceled my order.
Anna actually sounded relieved, and my card has been credited.
I don't think there's any conscious effort to rip anyone off going on there, seems more like the business is in serious distress.
I'm off Tuesday and there's a local Transtar outlet with three VBX valve bodies in stock. I'll pick one up here, which will enable me to inspect the VB and instructions etc.

Transtar charges $408 for the VBX valve body, but it has all of the Sonnax updates, any Ford updates, and a brand-new OE EPC solenoid. Comes with gaskets, may or may not come with the separator plate depending on the type of parts used for the Ford updates.
Expensive, but no shipping and I can actually look at it before I buy.

Donny (who does answer emails, by the way) wants $250, but the EPC is cleaned and re-O-ringed, not new. Once you factor in the cost of a new EPC solenoid and shipping, the price is close to VBX.
And again, the added advantage of actually picking up the VB in person, rather than leaving it to the not-so-tender mercies of UPS.

Thought about it, and was ready to order the solenoid from the local Ford dealer, but actually what I'm hoping to do is drop the old VB, bolt up the new VB, slap on a new filter and pan gasket, bolt up the pan and fill with Mercon. I'm trying to keep my actual work on the VB itself to a minimum. The less I have to do, the smaller the chance that I'll bugger something up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could get a new one, rebuild your old one, and save it as a spare.

Exactly--that's just what I'm planning to do.

It can be a winter project; slap the headphones on, spin some LPs, rebuild a valve body.

Back