The Absolute Best Way to Find the Factory Door Code on Your 2002 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Absolute Best Way to Find the Factory Door Code on Your 2002 Explorer Sport

bfcerny

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport
I am creating this post because although there are a lot of posts out there on this, most of them suggest look under the pillar molding, in the jack box, etc. These are not the correct place to find you code on a 2002 Explorer sport.
I have also seen people say to take out the airbag on the 02 sport. This may work, but if you are like me you are not comfortable messing round with the safety system that could save the life of someone in your family or even deploy and and injur you in the removal process.
In my opinion, the following is the best way to find your code and it will literally take 5 minutes even with no mechanical skill.

You need...
Two flat head screw drivers. I used one flat head and an inch and a half scrapper for more surface area.

ry%3D400.jpg

Take these tools and carefully pry the defrost vent away from the dash. Do this with care so you don't brake the plastic. Use one tool to pull it up and then place the other in the gap created and slowly pry. You should pop the clips right out of the dash. There are about seven of them across the front and one on each side. Due to the angle of the windshield, you will have to start in the middle of the vent for the easiest way to get it started. It can be done from the corners first, but I found the middle to be the best starting point.

ry%3D400.jpg

Next...remove the vent and set aside.
ry%3D400.jpg

Now you should have the inner dash exposed. In my opinion, this is much easier and safer than removing the passenger side airbag.

ry%3D400.jpg

Now raise your passenger side windshield wiper
ry%3D400.jpg

Now you will need some good sunlight or a flashlight. The offwhite box with the wires leading into it is the location of your code. Point your light into the area and look at the 5 digit code on the top of the box. It will be to the right of the arrow you will see on the left. There should be no mistaking it...it will be 5 large printed numbers by themselves that look like they were deliberately placed there for viewing.
ry%3D400.jpg

The picture does not work very well for showing the code, but it is right on top of the offwhite box you see in the picture. If you tilt your head you will see it.
Nex just put your wiper down, then replace the vent by carefully lining up the clips to the wholes and giving it a little thump with your palm. Be sure it is lined up correctly before you try to pop it back on so you dont break the clip.
There you go...that's it! Now you can use your door code and not worry about removing your airbag...even though it is easy to remove, I find this way a lot more simple and gives you a lot better piece of mind not having to wonder if you hooked the airbag back up properly or severed a wire in the process.

Hope this helps all of you out there with a 2002 Explorer Sport!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great post. I have the same year sport as you and I did it by removing three screws in my glovebox and moving my airbag to the side (not unplugging it). Although this does look much easier great post.

I did the same thing removed the cowl, and it worked great for me as well.

Mr. bfcerny,

Do u think it may be the same for 01 Sport? If it is, this seems to be the easiest way to get to the code. I will appreciate your thought.

Ami
Kennewick, WA

I have a 01 sport so it should be that's where mine was.

Great tip!

I've got a late-year 01 Sport, and you just saved me from the terrifying prospect of doing anything with the airbag assembly. Did this, and had my number in 10 minutes. Excellent tip. Thanks. :exp:

Back