The Black Hole | Page 132 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Work your way from the fuse(s).

They are the easiest to get to... Check fuse 26 in the I/P fuse block for 12 volts. That circuit is HOT IN RUN

Check to make sure the fuse isn't blown

If you have 12 volts there.
Remove the fuse.
probe each side of the fuse.
One terminal with have 12V, that's your input (from the power distribution box).

Check the other terminal on that fuse. It shouldn't have any voltage. That's your output (to the OD switch)

If you have 12 volts there, and the fuse is not blown, the open/high resistance in the circuit is between the I/p fuse box and the o/d connector.

IF you do NOT have 12 volts at the fuse, then you have an open/high resistance in the circuit between the power distribution box and the I/P fuse box.

Also, if you don't have 12 volts at the fuse, you can supply 12 volts at the fuse and check operation of the o/d switch. You shouldn't have to have to truck running to check the o/d off lamp illuminating.

The ignition just needs to be in the run position.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The same diagnostic procedures will apply to fuse 27.

I will check all data and see what each fuse supplied power to for both vehicles.

Ok here is the circuit description for 1995 and 1998..

1998:
78249724.gif

1995:
56535613.gif

You are looking for the "Transmission Control Switch"

If you look at the other components that are powered by that fuse, if those components are working correctly then there is a good chance that all your circuits to that fuse, and to their components is working correctly and the circuit is intact.

BUUUUT that is NOT always the case, especially because there seems to be a splice in the circuit to the fuse. I have seen splice packs work correctly on all but one componant because of corrosion

Well, I appreciate all that Kurt, but I still need to have a complete circuit from switch to fuse, to PCM. I think all I can do at the fuse block is see if the circuit from fuse to switch to dash light is good.

Once I find & study both the 95 & 98 pinout diagrams for the bulkhead harness blocks, I can compare, and inspect. I have a feeling the cabin side harness was not changed to meet the engine side, and there just isn't a connecting circuit from PCM to fuse block..

I will check the rear defroster to see if it works. I can't see the reverse lamps myself, and the 4w bulb was removed. This is assuming of course, they didn't change the dash harness, only re-pinned a few things, and spliced into it. Which it is looking like this more & more, with each problem that arises.

Maybe that shop will get tired of hearing about this from their Mole, and actually offer some helpful information.

Yeah right!

That is true... That might explain the burnt up wires at the bulkhead connector.

A lot of times pin locations will shift from one year to another (like fuse 26 and 27, between 1995 and 1998)

If the yahoos just plugged in the bulkhead connector (1995 on the i/p side, and 1998 on the engine side) and didnt realize those wires were now ground circuits (where they were 5v/12v circuits before... ) youre just asking for problems.

I had a GM instructor at one of my electrical classes years ago, put a bug in a system, i told him there was a short to voltage on this circuit i was diagnosing...
he said "i guarantee thats not a short to voltage"
I said "well you better check again because i guarantee that has battery voltage"

and he did... and there was 12v to it.

The "bug" he was supposed to put in, was an open wire in the circuit; he was just supposed to un-pin a connector and leave it out. Well he just plugged in the pin into the open spot next to it... the module had 12 volts at that pin, sending 12v through the circiut lmfao.

Well, I appreciate all that Kurt, but I still need to have a complete circuit from switch to fuse, to PCM. I think all I can do at the fuse block is see if the circuit from fuse to switch to dash light is good.

The o/d switch and the o/d off lamp are not connected... the PCM turns the o/d off lamp on once it sees 12v from the switch.

You will save yourself a lot of time possibly by checking for 12v at those fuses first. once you figure out whether you have 12v or not.... then you crawl under the dash and figure out why you dont have power there.

Semantics my good sir, just semantics. All roads lead to Rome.

I would rather take a non-stop flight directly to rome vs driving through Cape Horn :p

For the first time in about 8 years (manual trans swap), this light is now working again.

OD light on.jpg

To celebrate, I bought a Belgium rotisserie waffle maker, and some ice cream. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

One less thing on the list to repair hopefully. Took it for a 3 mile jaunt on the HWY, and the OD switch and converter works as should. I didn't re-pin the harness, just removed the switch harness, and followed the line to the bulkhead, and freed it up from the harness. Replaced the fuse, plugged the switch back up, and gave it a try. Fired it up, hit the switch, & Bam, the light came on. Hopefully whatever caused the short in the circuit, is fixed now, well..., not really fixed, but not grounding for now.

I had gone thru the fuse box months ago, and replaced 3 blown fuses I found. I went thru it again today, and found 3 blown again. I do not know what is causing this yet, so this might be a premature celebration, but crossing fingers, this OD is debacle is put to rest.

BTW Kurt, the fire extinguisher was not needed on the test drive. It is however staying up front just in case. :shifty:

Is that the trans bulk head connector on the firewall that heads down to the transmission, or a connector harness at the steering wheel?
I'm curious. And, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Sorry about the fuses blowing. One less issue though. Keep going.

We tested the switch itself after unplugging it under the dash (column area), and found it to be good. Then went to check the other side of that harness. That's when we found the burnt wires, and just stopped at that point, so we never checked the other side.

I thought of that today, and got under the dash, and just followed that other side as best I could towards the firewall. I moved the burned wires at the firewall away from the other wires, and then went up the harness towards the fuse box. I moved (wiggled) everything I could, including the bulk head cover, and gently pulled wires apart in hopes to find a break/burn, etc.. in something. I honestly don't know what I did to make the fuse not blow again, but whatever it was, might show it's ugly head again, or it might not. Who knows at this point.

For the first time in about 8 years (manual trans swap), this light is now working again.

View attachment 165484

To celebrate, I bought a Belgium rotisserie waffle maker, and some ice cream. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Hmm, that sounds interesting. What is it, how's it work, what's it cost, and where do they come from?

I can't even imagine changing that harness out.
I can't even imagine trying to splice out the burnt stuff one wire at a time upside down under the dash and doing a nice job.

There's no clean and easy way out of this one. Lets hope the problem wire stays away from the ground it was touching.

LOL! Of all the things to be quoted for, it's food.

It's one of these Don. Light comes on when it's ready to flip over, and another light comes on when it's done. They are cheap at Wally world, like $20 is all.

waffle maker.jpg

and yes, I know you was goofing around too. lol

Dono, thanks for the support buddy!! I hope it stays away long enough to get it to Kurts shop for a real fix.

Keep a note on what fuses blew, i wonder if they are the same ones that you replaced before??

LOL! Of all the things to be quoted for, it's food.

Well its like being given a fish, or taught to fish...

You could go out for Belgium waffles to celebrate.. or you can go buy a waffle maker, and celebrate all the time.

Well its like being given a fish, or taught to fish...

You could go out for Belgium waffles to celebrate.. or you can go buy a waffle maker, and celebrate all the time.

True, didn't think of it that way. :)

As far as the fuses go, I wish I wrote down the fuse #'s way back when I changed them out. Since I didn't even have a 98 manual or bother to research online for one, at that time, I had no idea what fuse worked what circuit. Still don't for half of them. lol I honestly do not know what was swapped, or kept from the 95 to 98 OS. Either the fuse box was re-pinned, bulk connectors re-pinned, or the fuse box was swapped for the 98 box so that didn't have to be re-pinned. Ugh.... brain hurts thinking of any number of combo's done/not done to it.

So far, the mechanical work seems to be done right, and in good working order. Props to them for this part at least. Some issues are going to happen, and is to be expected. The only mechanical hiccups was the leaking coolant at radiator, some sketchy exhaust work done, the atlas shifters needing re-done, a brake issue, and the cam syncro not aligned properly. Everything else was great, and now with those issues mostly fixed, it really runs well, and sounds bad ass.

Electrical work as a whole is a completely different ballgame tho. Which sucks for me, as I know 100 times more about mechanical, than electrical. I hate having to guess, and even more so with limited understandings/knowledge. That's why it was farmed out to begin with. Guess that's why I am so sore over this. Sorry to come off grumpy now & then, I'm just frustrated beyond belief. :(

I'd be grumpy also. If the shop couldn't do a quality job of it, they shouldn't have taken the job on.

The electrical is the most tedious part. We all agree its time consuming, and hard to make a dollar on. Its still no excuse for saying you will do something, and then doing a **** job while your charging someone cash for it.

That has bad reputation written all over it.

Back