Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The Black Hole

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by gmanpaint, April 3, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Modified 95 XLT
    I hear ya there. That's why this rig has been sitting all this time. It's not safe to use as is.
    Plan is to take it to Kurt's shop, and he is yanking the entire harness, and going thru the dash wiring.

I know someone who is sending me a 98 harness. They did a swap, in a ranger, but are using all wiring from a 97 instead of dealing with Pat's.

After all the hard earned cash spent on this rig, and will be 1.5 yrs from 5.0 swap until it can be used again, this 3 month job has gone full on depressing. Hard lesson learned here.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Has anybody re-pinned the bulk head connector at the firewall on the inside?

There is a different pin out for the Overdrive from 95 (fuse 26) to 98 (fuse 27). I'm thinking they forgot to check this, and there is no connection from harness to fuse box for the OD.

4. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Do you mean the three connectors in a row outboard of the brake booster? Those are in the dash harness.

Projectthread062.jpg

Projectthread080.JPG

5. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Yeah, but on the dash side. The 98 engine harness side wouldn't match the 95 dash side for the Overdrive pins. I want to pull them apart, and check the pinouts for that circuit. If it doesn't match up, I want to move the pin on the dash side, so they make a circuit. Just trying to figure this out before I give it the old college try, and never moved a pin on the bulkhead before.
    Both 95 & 98 wire colors for the OD are the same. Tan/W & Purple/O.

Last edited: December 5, 2018
  6. CDW6212R

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Gotcha. The pictures I posted show both sides of those three pairs of connectors. You can see the three interior connectors on the far right side of that first picture. That's the dash harness, I was adding the ARC wiring to the truck.

They are square, black, brown, and grey. The large white plastic square piece inside each is the lock that holds the terminals in. You just push out that white piece, and then you can remove any terminal with a tiny screw driver or pick etc.

I'm not sure how hard it will be to take any of the connectors out from the firewall, they are up there quite a ways above the pedals.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
  8. KurtECV

KurtECV Surrender The Booty Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    Work your way from the fuse(s).

They are the easiest to get to... Check fuse 26 in the I/P fuse block for 12 volts. That circuit is HOT IN RUN

Check to make sure the fuse isn't blown

If you have 12 volts there.
    Remove the fuse.
    probe each side of the fuse.
    One terminal with have 12V, that's your input (from the power distribution box).

Check the other terminal on that fuse. It shouldn't have any voltage. That's your output (to the OD switch)

If you have 12 volts there, and the fuse is not blown, the open/high resistance in the circuit is between the I/p fuse box and the o/d connector.

IF you do NOT have 12 volts at the fuse, then you have an open/high resistance in the circuit between the power distribution box and the I/P fuse box.

Also, if you don't have 12 volts at the fuse, you can supply 12 volts at the fuse and check operation of the o/d switch. You shouldn't have to have to truck running to check the o/d off lamp illuminating.

The ignition just needs to be in the run position.

9. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    The same diagnostic procedures will apply to fuse 27.

I will check all data and see what each fuse supplied power to for both vehicles.

10. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    Ok here is the circuit description for 1995 and 1998..

1998:
    78249724.gif

1995:
    56535613.gif

You are looking for the "Transmission Control Switch"

If you look at the other components that are powered by that fuse, if those components are working correctly then there is a good chance that all your circuits to that fuse, and to their components is working correctly and the circuit is intact.

BUUUUT that is NOT always the case, especially because there seems to be a splice in the circuit to the fuse. I have seen splice packs work correctly on all but one componant because of corrosion

• Like Like x 1
  11. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Well, I appreciate all that Kurt, but I still need to have a complete circuit from switch to fuse, to PCM. I think all I can do at the fuse block is see if the circuit from fuse to switch to dash light is good.

Once I find & study both the 95 & 98 pinout diagrams for the bulkhead harness blocks, I can compare, and inspect. I have a feeling the cabin side harness was not changed to meet the engine side, and there just isn't a connecting circuit from PCM to fuse block..

I will check the rear defroster to see if it works. I can't see the reverse lamps myself, and the 4w bulb was removed. This is assuming of course, they didn't change the dash harness, only re-pinned a few things, and spliced into it. Which it is looking like this more & more, with each problem that arises.

Maybe that shop will get tired of hearing about this from their Mole, and actually offer some helpful information.

Yeah right!

• Like Like x 2
  12. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    That is true... That might explain the burnt up wires at the bulkhead connector.

A lot of times pin locations will shift from one year to another (like fuse 26 and 27, between 1995 and 1998)

If the yahoos just plugged in the bulkhead connector (1995 on the i/p side, and 1998 on the engine side) and didnt realize those wires were now ground circuits (where they were 5v/12v circuits before... ) youre just asking for problems.

• Like Like x 1
  13. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    I had a GM instructor at one of my electrical classes years ago, put a bug in a system, i told him there was a short to voltage on this circuit i was diagnosing...
    he said "i guarantee thats not a short to voltage"
    I said "well you better check again because i guarantee that has battery voltage"

and he did... and there was 12v to it.

The "bug" he was supposed to put in, was an open wire in the circuit; he was just supposed to un-pin a connector and leave it out. Well he just plugged in the pin into the open spot next to it... the module had 12 volts at that pin, sending 12v through the circiut lmfao.

14. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    The o/d switch and the o/d off lamp are not connected... the PCM turns the o/d off lamp on once it sees 12v from the switch.

You will save yourself a lot of time possibly by checking for 12v at those fuses first. once you figure out whether you have 12v or not.... then you crawl under the dash and figure out why you dont have power there.

15. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Semantics my good sir, just semantics. All roads lead to Rome.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    I would rather take a non-stop flight directly to rome vs driving through Cape Horn :p

17. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    For the first time in about 8 years (manual trans swap), this light is now working again.

OD light on.jpg

To celebrate, I bought a Belgium rotisserie waffle maker, and some ice cream. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

One less thing on the list to repair hopefully. Took it for a 3 mile jaunt on the HWY, and the OD switch and converter works as should. I didn't re-pin the harness, just removed the switch harness, and followed the line to the bulkhead, and freed it up from the harness. Replaced the fuse, plugged the switch back up, and gave it a try. Fired it up, hit the switch, & Bam, the light came on. Hopefully whatever caused the short in the circuit, is fixed now, well..., not really fixed, but not grounding for now.

I had gone thru the fuse box months ago, and replaced 3 blown fuses I found. I went thru it again today, and found 3 blown again. I do not know what is causing this yet, so this might be a premature celebration, but crossing fingers, this OD is debacle is put to rest.

BTW Kurt, the fire extinguisher was not needed on the test drive. It is however staying up front just in case. :shifty:

Last edited: December 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    00 Limited V8
    Is that the trans bulk head connector on the firewall that heads down to the transmission, or a connector harness at the steering wheel?
    I'm curious. And, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Sorry about the fuses blowing. One less issue though. Keep going.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    We tested the switch itself after unplugging it under the dash (column area), and found it to be good. Then went to check the other side of that harness. That's when we found the burnt wires, and just stopped at that point, so we never checked the other side.

I thought of that today, and got under the dash, and just followed that other side as best I could towards the firewall. I moved the burned wires at the firewall away from the other wires, and then went up the harness towards the fuse box. I moved (wiggled) everything I could, including the bulk head cover, and gently pulled wires apart in hopes to find a break/burn, etc.. in something. I honestly don't know what I did to make the fuse not blow again, but whatever it was, might show it's ugly head again, or it might not. Who knows at this point.

20. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. CDW6212R

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Hmm, that sounds interesting. What is it, how's it work, what's it cost, and where do they come from?

We Support Our Troops!