The Black Hole | Page 142 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kurt, email me the diagrams, and I can turn them before posting so I can read them. lol

HEY at least they are not random ads this time o_Oo_Oo_O

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

For anybody interested in the test procedure on your cruise control, you have to have a good bulb and all working buttons on the steering wheel.

Notice the red circled section.

InkedCC test procedure_LI.jpg

Got a couple more tests done before the blood sucking skeeters almost drained me.

We already established power with peddle, to Tan/LB wire at the cruise module.
There is voltage on the BK/Y wire at the cruise module.
There is voltage on both the BK/Y & LG/R wire at the brake pressure switch at the master.
There is voltage at fuse 9, 10 (K/O), & 13.

So this cruise circuit is fine. The circuit break must be on the R/LG wire from the BPP switch, just like the cruise test says.

The gem needs to see ground, when the brake pedal is released.

And 12 volts when the brake pedal is pressed.

I suspect, that that extire system is integrated to know when one circuit is faulty (gem or cruise control module sees brakes applied or released on one circuit and not another, that is usually a safely feature so you don't get a run away) both circuits must "agree" for the system to operate. If they don't agree, the system may be disabled. This is speculation, but that is how a lot of systems work.

Test for ground on the tan/light blue wire with the brake pedal released

Yeah, really just testing this circuit to see if it has the break in it or not. Really after the break for the rear high stop. As soon as I can, I will dig into the A pillar kick panel area, and find that DG wire, and test for voltage on it with the pedal depressed. If I find it or not there, I will at least know which direction to trace the short at.

Kurt.....How do you mean? That wire is a hot wire. Do you mean short to ground?

I think if a brake light bulb was burned out, the cruise should still work.

Ok!

Build yourself a jumper harness.

One wire to pin 13 on connector c282 at the GEM

The other wire to pin 4 on connector c171 at the cruise control servo.

Connect both loose ends of those two wires together into one wire

Plug that one wire into pin 2 at the BPP.

Run the cruise control self test. I'll bet it works.

Now go get yourself a high mount ballist and run a jumper to the larger gauge wire at the high mount connector... Should work.

Is it done yet?

Hurry up

Lol, well umm.... nope.

Getting to that pin on that connector for the gem is much easier said than done!! I'm not even sure how the gem is removed to get to that connector on top. Lol

A new wire ran to the back, is most likely what is going to happen anyways. I'm about done with chasing this ghost.

Ok well you can check for power and ground on pin 4 at the cruise control servo and run the self test again and see if it passes... If it doesn't then you'll have to get to the gem.

Part of the Diag job... Welcome to my life. You know it's gotta get done, go have a smoke, throw a temper tantrum and get it done. Happens at least once a day at work lmao

Ok... post 35,000 about this damn electrical issue. Lol

Did a bunch more tests on this thing, and found out there is no ground being sent to the cruise control module from the BPP. There is also constant power (hot at all times) to both wires at the brake pressure switch. Should only have power to one wire until pedal is pressed. Still working on a fix for this, but narrowing down the brake light issue a little at a time, might have paid off finally. Really hoping the fix doesn't involve pulling the dash again!

I tore the garage apart for 6 hours today searching for a spare Ballast I remembered I got years ago. Reading back here, I found a post I made about getting it, and it came back to me. Damn old timers. Didn't find it, but the garage got a cleaning at least. Filled up 2 large trash containers of stuff I was hoarding. D35 & D44 parts I'm not using, nor will ever use.....Trash. lol

Tore thru both rigs, no ballast. Gave up. Went to the basement for something, and eyeballed a couple of storage bins I had filled with spare parts. Found the ballast in the last place I looked, literally the last place too look. Too hot out now, and I'm overheated as is. Will swap out the ballast in the morning, and try to fire up the neon high stop with a jump pack.

Funny how one thing leads to another. Great news on cleaning up a bit. If your garage is anything like mine, you still have lots to do.

Even greater news that you found that ballast, and are getting closer to getting the electrical issues sorted out. Were all in your corner.

Oh yeah, tons left to clean up and throw away. Have to wait until the bins are empty to fill them back up, a few times! lol

Hoping the ballast in there just went bad from all the shorts blowing the fuses, or just from not being used for all this time. If I get it to fire, then if the wiring fix is figured out, it's back in biz, and can get the inspection done, and tags renewed.

Swapped the ballasts out. Applied 12v to it using the power/ground from the compressor, and the neon fires up.

So somehow that ballast got fried with the engine swap.

JY ballast test.jpg

jy ballast neon working.jpg

Just to confirm one last time, I put the meter to the ballast harness, and nothing, 0.00v from it with pedal depressed. Hooked it all back up, and now I know I can run a jumper to it from the side brake lights if I have too. This however doesn't fix the cruise control, which I want working again. Rig was built for long haul trips across the country. 12 hours a day at hwy speeds w/o cruise, just plain sucks. Been there, done that, and don't like it much. lol

From there, I went back to the brake pressure switch (Kurt asked to check it again). With the connector ON, and no pressure to the pedal, I poked thru the wire insulation on both wires. There is constant power to BOTH wires. With it disconnected from the switch, there is only constant power to the red green wire, and nothing to the black gold wire that feeds into the cruise module.

Thinking here is the pressure switch is bad now. My question to anybody that has replaced this switch is...

Do the brakes need to be bled after replacing this switch? I know if it shoots fluid at me when removing it, I would probably have my answer, but rather know ahead of time. lol

I think that sensor can be swapped without bleeding the MC. But just in case, do you have a pressure bleeding kit?

The Motive brand works great, it is a one man brake bleeding tool. If you do and apply slight pressure to the MC reservoir, there should be some small amount of fluid come out of the pressure sensor port while it's not tight. If you do that, just pump it up maybe 2-3 times, that should be plenty to maintain a slight fluid flow from the port, which should keep out any air.

I also would disconnect the ballast brake light until the CC and BOO wiring is sorted out. I think those are more sensitive to power surges or testing etc.

I only have bleeders that pull with vacuum. Mightyvac handheld, and a larger unit that is powered with the air compressor.

I did a little searching here, and a few have said that the dealerships swapped them out in 2-3 mins. That kind of tells me they only swapped in the new switch with the modified harness, and didn't bleed the brakes.

A new theory is maybe, just maybe the master push rod is adjusted wrong, and is why the BPP is activated super easy. Barely touch the pedal, and it activates. Doesn't feel like 5-10lbs of pressure is used like the switch calls for. If the pedal is not sitting as high as it should be, it wouldn't take much at all, to activate the switch.

If that's true, then the switch might be sending ground to the pressure switch, which would be why there is constant power to both wires, and the cruise not working, because it thinks the pedal is pressed. Or... it could just be a bad pressure switch. lol

Have you swapped the defective "red" switches in all of your Fords? You might do one of the others if needed, and see if it has any affect(air in system). If you read that they did it in 2-3 minutes, to me that means that any air getting in there is insignificant, and has no real affect.

Back