Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The Black Hole

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by gmanpaint, April 3, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Thank you Jon!!! :notworthy

Def rather replace the connector itself, than splice into the harness. :thumbsup:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Finally had a chance to get the spare tire mounted in the basket. Man I forgot how hard it is to get these things up on top of these lifted rigs. :rolleyes:

I have a normal wing nut on the pass thru bolt for now. I have a larger Aluminum spinner nut on the way. I ended up just cutting 1/2" off the eye bolt to make it a J bolt. Removed the gate latch.

[​IMG]

Yup, it's up there and ain't going anywhere.

[​IMG]

Lights will be on in a few days. Oh, and the reason I did all this, was to make some extra room in the cargo area, for the upcoming SMORR meet. I am bringing extra stuff and needed the room back there. The spare will most likely go back on the rear cargo mount. I could carry two spares for long haul trips if I wanted I guess. LOL!!

I have an idea to mount something else on the Drivers side of the basket. If I have time after work this week, I will try to get it fabricated and mounted up. :D

4. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Mickey Mouse Mod #4

So here is my idea. Yes it's a real Idea, from my brain. :D

Took a 34"x3"x1/8" Carbon plate, did some measuring, drilled some holes, made it look purdy with sagging paint (I almost stripped back down because of that sag, but I said screw it. lol), attached a few things, and mounted it on the roof basket. Came out just like I imagined it would. Thanks Brain.

Paint drying hanging from the rafters. Pardon the messy garage.

[​IMG]

Security brackets, and these fancy space age silicone quick clamps attached. These things are amazing. Heat/UV resistant, and grip tight as heck. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Mounted on the roof basket.

[​IMG]

This can accommodate tools with handles up to 2.25" in diameter. I had a Maul Ax handy, so I stuck it in there. I will lock it in place with a long slide lock to the basket.

[​IMG]

Only thing left to do to the basket, is get the dang backup lights installed, and the new spare tire spinner nut on when it arrives.

:salute:

Last edited: October 19, 2014
  5. MrQ

MrQ Fuel Pump Replacer Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Stafford, TX
    '93 Limited
    Callsign:
    MrQ
    Nice idea.

Don't forget to put a guard on that axe blade before you head off anywhere!

6. dkchrist

dkchrist Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Fayetteville, AR
    93 XLT 4DR
    That is a sweet way to mount tools!

7. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    What is this guard you speak of? :p:
    Thanks Daniel! :) I kinda dig it too.

Got the lights back on, and the spinner nut on the tire mount. I'm all done for a while again. LOL!

[​IMG]

:salute:

Last edited: October 21, 2014
  8. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Doing a little rummaging in the garage and found a new 12 volt aux power outlet I had bought years ago. I'm thinking of adding it to the rear cargo panel on the Dr side. The only constant power back there that I can use for this is the rear door lock switch (I think).

Because of the 2 removable panels on that side, I think mounting it on the top facing up will be the best place for it, and I can place it next to the door lock switch.

Does anybody think the door lock power wire is not a good power supply to use for this application? I do not want to run a separate wire to the battery.

9. Glen4X4

Glen4X4 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Lewistown, Pa
    2000 XLS
    I don't think the wiring is heavy enough...I think the wiring would overheat....

10. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    I was afraid of that. Thanks for confirming Glen. :thumbsup:

In my early stages of CRS these days, I forgot I can run a power line to the Aux fuse panel I installed. LOL! :crazy:

11. Glen4X4

Glen4X4 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Lewistown, Pa
    2000 XLS
    I do like your idea though! I've thought of running a power outlet in that spot too after seeing it on someone's thread years ago. It would make it nice for camping trips and in other situations.

12. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Camping is the reason behind it. Can plug in the air pump, and with the new rear lights on top of the rig, I was thinking of how much nicer it would be to have a power source back there.

Wish I had an outlet that also had a 5v USB port as well. I could go one step farther and wire in a 120v outlet on the passenger side. Some day maybe, if I'm bored and need a mod fix for my addiction. LOL!

13. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    I'm sure that you want your power source inside, but here are pictures of where I added one to my hatch jamb. With it I plugged in my roof strobe light, and it's powered through a switch up front, with relays in the back, in the stock relay box. There is extra space inside of it.

Rebuilding a 2nd gen Explorer with a 1st gen rear clip, post 210

I made the circuit 20 or 30 amps, so it can also run my tire compressor. See if you have a light blue and white striped wire along your right inner quarter panel, or at the right kick panel. The seat heater circuit in the later trucks is there and is fused in the left door jamb etc. It might only be in the 99+ models though, I used it for a power source for a rear amp and never used it.

I might have a solution to your USB source too. I have a Craftsman Nextec 12v power source device that I will be cutting up soon. I bought it thinking it could run a power seat in a junkyard, but is has overload protection for about 2 amps. So instead of that, or taking it back, I will cut it in half basically, and use the battery receptacle side to install into a home dusting wand thing I have(it vacuums the dust from the had wand, but the built in batteries died years ago). I can build it into the duster, so my regular Nextec batteries will power it, and those are easy to charge or replace.

Anyway, this contraption has one 12v cigarette lighter receptacle, and at least one USB port. I don't plan to need it after I cut it from the rest.

14. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Thats pretty neat Don. :thumbsup:
    I do not want a switch for it tho, so the relay is out. I think I can get away with a good ga wire to the fuse block. It has 100 amp protection with individual fuse slots that I can choose the amp rating for the application use. Do you have a picture of it? If I can't find something that I can easily mount/hard wire, yours is something to think about, and much appreciate the offer.

I would want it inside the cargo area like you said. I am just now searching online for something I can wire directly / mount, that has both 12v outlet, & 5v USB ports. So far I found this little gem and it's fairly cheap. Question is can I figure a way to mount it to where just the face is protruding?

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Unive...d=1413130800&sr=1-84&keywords=12v++aux+outlet

Last edited: October 12, 2014
  15. albi1cnobi1

albi1cnobi1 Elite Mountaineer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    South Jersey
    99 Mountaineer V6 4x4
    Last edited: October 12, 2014
  16. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    That socket is very similar to the one I have, it's a Bell with a weather cover. Made for exterior mounting.

That dual usb is nice, and would work just fine as well. I bookmarked it in case I can't find a good product that has both. Thanks! :thumbsup:

17. albi1cnobi1

albi1cnobi1 Elite Mountaineer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    South Jersey
    99 Mountaineer V6 4x4
    NP :thumbsup: Happy to help!

18. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    The small USB outlet thing I have has two USB ports, I found a picture of it here;http://toolguyd.com/craftsman-12v-usb-charger/

This would be handy for a couple of USB sources, but likely not high amp use for the 12v receptacle. Meaning I haven't gutted it, cut it up yet, to see the power feed wires. With a 2amp protection circuit in it, I'd say the main feed wire is not big, and affixing a 10ga wire to it might not be ideal. I'm off this week so maybe I can get to dismantling it soon.

19. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Mickey Mouse Mod #5

So I decided to be cheap, and just use what I had on hand. I used the Bell weatherproof 12v outlet and flush mounted it to the D pillar trim. I used 16 awg to the Aux fuse panel for it and a 20 amp fuse. Not pretty, but does the job I wanted effectively. I found a doo dad in the misc parts bin I had for the cell phone, before I built a power console in the other rig. It has 2 USB ports, and one 12v outlet. It will hold a cell and charge it. Nothing like recycling old stuff! :)

[​IMG]

The doo dad I mentioned.

[​IMG]

Still have 3 open slots on the fuse panel :)

[​IMG]

Now that I have a ran power to the back, I have a couple more ideas going thru my head for future mods using things I already own. Haha!

The next project. Modifying this pumps air outlet to use 1/4" couplings, and making a quick release mounting bracket, for the rear cargo panel.

[​IMG]

20. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Mickey Mouse Mod #6

On board air. Removable mount. 25 ft soft air line mount.

Completed this little project in the afternoon, and had a blast doing this free (for me) mod. :D

Using components and hardware in the garage, I threw this together. I dig it for what it is. :)

First off, I wanted a good place out of the way to store the portable air pump. It came with a hard coil line, and a very odd size fitting connector that was backwards of normal connectors. so I had to cut the stock airline coming out of the pump and install a hose barb and clamp, then a female connector. I tried to find a brass fitting adapter to directly install a female connector directly to the pump, but no dice. So this had to do for now.

After finding where I wanted the pump to be mounted, I set out to make the base to mount the pump to. I used some thick cutting board material I had for under the rock sliders. Cut a piece to size, and made a template for the holes. I countersunk every bolt into the board so it has a flat bottom. This way it will sit flush when mounted.

Getting started with the first set of holes.

[​IMG]

All holes made, and test fitting the hardware.

[​IMG]

Pump mounted to the base, and test fit the stud mounts.

[​IMG]

So next thing was to drill the holes in the cargo panel, and install the mounting studs. The studs are fixed in place, with fender washers underneath and on top, then a nut to clamp it all tight to the panel. Then the pump and base simply drops onto the studs, and sits flush with the nuts inside the base. Wing nuts hold it in place, and can be removed to take the entire pump out of the rig if needed.

So the 25 ft of soft air line needed a home as well. Using the mounting clamps I had on the basket for the small shovel, I bolted them down to the panel next to the pump.

[​IMG]

So after all that was done, the line was coiled up and clamped down. It's not going anywhere. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Not sure if any of you noticed that the fire extinguisher was missing. I moved it to the other side of the rig.

[​IMG]

So that's it. Job done. I have a bag of air line attachments for blowing up balls and air mattresses, and what have not. The only thing this pump is for is to fill items with air, mostly the tires after wheeling, and air mattresses when camping.

Next project........

Finding a better home for these limb riser mounts and cables. ;)

[​IMG]

Oh..... And clean the dang carpet!!! :eek:

21. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Want to give a shout out to Turdle for sending me the replacement injector connector.

Thanks Jon!! :thumbsup:

Got it replaced today, and it is snug as a bug in a rug again. :)

Wire colors, and the silicone grommet was different colors, but the housing was exactly the same. Worked perfectly. :thumbsup:

What Jon sent me:

[​IMG]