Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

The Black Hole

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by gmanpaint, April 3, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. crazyflights

crazyflights Well-Known Member

City, State:
    St. Joseph, MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    97 1 ton Jeep
    he brings up a great point....

hmm

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    The frame is boxed where the mounting tabs are and tied into the engine cross member. So I think it is just maxed out using stock arms & knuckles.

4. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Discovered the rear pinion seal is leaking yet once again. I don't get it. :scratch:

Note to self....

Pay someone to change the Manual trans fluid, next time around. :banghead:

5. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Spent a little time at the Turdle Farm in Kansas last weekend. We did a little woods exploring in the rigs, and found the perfect (IMHO) trail name. :D

A little 3 wheeling action coming out of a mudhole and heading up a climb.

Attached Files:

Last edited: November 10, 2015
  6. GRNMACHINE

GRNMACHINE Well-Known Member

City, State:
    IL
    95 Sport 4x4
    Nice!!!!!!!

7. 96EXXLTinCO

96EXXLTinCO Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Colorado Springs
    1996 Explorer XLT
  8. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    There was two trails going up this wooded hill climb right next to each other. Left side was easier then the right. The right side mud hole was about 10' down and about 20 feet long with deep tire ruts from people fighting to get thru it previously.

In the video below, I took it easy entering the mud hole so as not to hit the tree with the drivers side, as the rut on the left was twice as deep on the right.

Last edited: December 6, 2015
  9. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Reverse lights got a simple upgrade with 7w flood LED's. Big difference in light output compared to the Ultra stars.

Other than that, not much to report about, other then the rig is working great. These new MTR's work amazing in the snow. :)

10. Turdle

Turdle Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    Based on your recommendation, I got my LED reverse lights yesterday in the mail. :thumbsup:

11. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Oakland, CA
    '00 Mountaineer
    I haven't really kept up with your build thread, but looking back a few months to what Turdle said about the frame rolling inwards, I'm positive that is happening. I have coilovers with a brace over the motor, and I need to jack the truck up off the ground to remove or install it. Just the weight of the truck sitting still is enough to twist the frame.

Anyway, that hill climb looks like fun!

12. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Cool! I hope you like em as Much as I do. :thumbsup:

Well, that's good to hear first hand experience with that. Thank you! :thumbsup:

I didn't think it possible with the engine cross member right there and the frame being fully boxed. I still believe that I maxed out the stock suspension parts with the 2" LCA lift and the 35's. Hopefully by this summer I will have the longer UCA's, and think about a cross bar.

13. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    I am so not feeling any love, from gaskets & seals lately. :banghead:

I just can't seam to get the Rear pinion seal to last. After 3 failed attempts, I'm just going to take it into a shop and let them handle it. :rolleyes:
    I want them to look closely at the pinion shaft and decide if it needs a sleeve.

Valve cover gaskets are the next maintenance item, on the Pre-Moab checklist. :eek:

14. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Time is running low for me and the work to be done on this before Moab this May. I have a long list of things I "Want" to do, but might end up just doing the "Need" to do items.

One of the Need to do items for Moab trails is soften the front end some as it is way to stiff with the 750 lb coils. The slick rock and the long steep climbs cause the rigs to "Hump" the rock if the tires spin at all. A super stiff front end will make it worse I believe, and can cause a backwards roll over on the real steep climbs.

So I need to change the coils on the front shocks, as that is about all I can do for this. So if I drop down to a 600-650 lb spring, it will soften it up, but I'm afraid I will lose my lift as well. :dunno:

I thought about dual rate/progressive style, but had no luck finding a 12" coil with anything over 350 lb rating. If anybody can suggest a good coil manufacture to use (besides Eibach) that has what I'm after, please let me know. Thanks!

The rear shocks are being changed out and being replaced with the Rancho 7000MT's. I have a set of custom fabricated upper rear shock mounts that allow for eyelet mounting. I will share those with you all and tell you how you can get a set if you wish, after they are installed. Parts are all in boxes still, just waiting to be bolted up.

Spare drive shafts need cleaned, rebuilt, and painted, and a way to store them safely. Then the rear pinion seal replaced.

The next Need item is the rear bumper/tire carrier. I am still trying to find someone that can & will make me a tube bumper. The spare is not going back on the roof if I can help it. Moab is brutal on High CG rigs. The rear tag needs relocated to the tire swingout, so I need the bracket/hardware for that, and power ran for the light.

Last item that Needs to be done is the custom long arm UCA's to get the camber dialed in, and to clear the coils better. Then the alignment shop can do it's thing finally.

Want items are various skid plates fabricated and installed here and there, cargo box and strap tracks system, new rearview, front pass side tire camera system, jerry can mount, and custom spare drive shaft hanger brackets. Oh, and the valve cover gaskets. ugh.

Once I get Pugly fixed, and this donor rig hauled off, I can start on this rig. Tick tock, screams the clock!

Last edited: March 19, 2016
  15. 96EXXLTinCO

96EXXLTinCO Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Colorado Springs
    1996 Explorer XLT
    Pretty ambitious!! But totally possible if you keep at it. I'm still hoping to make Moab myself, time will tell. I'm pullin for ya buddy!!!

16. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Stock 235 off the 94 limited parts rig snuggling up to the 35" Ain't it cute!

Attached Files:

17. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Yeah, I just got a 98 Limited with the same drab tires on it. I'm street only though, and for my mail truck I just bought 255/65/16's, 29" versus the OEM 30" 16's some came with.

The 255mm looks really wide compared to that 235mm tire, but I know that you guys need the "big" tires for real work. Have fun with it.

18. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Hey Don! Good to hear from you again. Hope.all is well.

The 12.5" mounted on 10" wide wheels really help with the footprint. I lose a bit in height, compared to an 8" wheel, but traction is the name of the game on the trails.

I got a kick out of the size diff and had to take a pic. :)

19. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Yes, it's hard to go back when you've had the big meats.

I've had to choose between 17's and 18's for my good truck, and wanted as much tread as possible. I hunted for a forged used wheel I'd like for ages, and found a 17x9 set last Summer. So the tire was going to be a 275/55, and the wheel made the height, either 29 or 30". I think the width will fit just barely on a lowered truck in front, I've been tweaking the wheel offset etc, for a long while. We'll see if these used wheels made for 12mm studs only will get machined right to fit a 1/2" stud at the proper depth, and stay inside the wheel wells. It's all wishes right now, I've got projects ahead of that.

Life goes fast, enjoy it.

20. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Don....I think Jon & Eric both had good luck with 17" Mustang Wheels when they lowered their rigs. But if you found a set you really like, that's awesome. I have a hard time finding any wheel I actually like anymore.

21. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Spent some time wrenching today, for "Fun" instead of "I Have too wrench in order to survive".

The rear Rancho 9000's were not making me happy anymore. I discovered the right rear was blown, and there was a dent in the can. that dent must have caused it to fail. So I spent time searching & searching, and searching for replacement shocks. I found nobody makes diddly for our rigs in the higher line of shocks. So....

When I come across situations like this, I think out of the box, and search some more. Happened upon a thread where Brian1 had made a set of pin bar eliminator mounts so he could run an eye to eye shock of his choosing. He was able to mount the Bilstein 5125 series. I thought well, that's sweet. Then I found his post that said they were to much to make, and he wasn't making anymore. I thought well, that's not so sweet. Now what?

Back to searching for an aftermarket set of those. I found a few diff brands, but all were for Jeepers. Darn it! So I take a chance, PM Brian, ask him about them. He agreed to make me a set, but of a totally dif design, and I was the test mule. I thought well, hell yeah, that is awesome! True to his word, they arrived shortly after. And they are simple, yet refined for even the finickiest of shockaholics. :) If your interested in a set of these, send Brian1 a PM, and ask him nicely to make you a set. :thumbsup:

They arrive raw, so I primed and painted them with rustoleum hammer finish. I didn't want to crack open a new can of POR15 for these as I am not ready to use it yet on an upcoming mod. Included was a nice hardware shopping list, and instructions with a picture showing how they should go together. Nice touch Brian! :)

So now to find a shock of my choosing after I got my extended, travel, & collapsed numbers. It came down to $$ for a new set. I have other things to spend on as I have a budget for Moab this year. So it was between a set of Bilsein 5125's, Rancho 7000MT's, or Bilstein 5160's. I really wanted the 5160's, but they were twice as much as the others. Then I read reviews on the bushings & seals on them. If they go bad, you really can't rebuild them yourself. All the reviews on the RS7000MT's were positive, and off roader's loved them, and the bushings and sleeves are replaceable easily if needed. RS7000MT's were ordered, and delivered.

I found out today that not all bushing sleeves are of the same width. Guess all I have worked on for the past decade has been Explorers, and I never even thought about it. Imagine that. Brian's tab width's were in spec with the Ex widths, found on the lower mount tabs. I had to remove about 4mm off all sleeves, but grinding 2mm off each side.

Once the mounts were installed per Brian's instructions, they were bolted up with grade 8 hardware. I even replaced the lower mount hardware with new grade 8. I couldn't run the boots as the pass side was too close to the exhaust (not touching) and I was afraid it might melt, so off they came. I never ran them before because they can hold water and silt, and ruin a seal/shaft, but these are black, and I liked how they looked. lol. Oh well, I'm most likely better off w/o them.

I kept the shocks strapped until after the top was mounted tight, then cut the strap, and let the shock lower into position, and stabbed it with the bolt. Much easier then fighting the fully extended shock to mount the lower. Worked like a charm.

So on with the pictures.

Attached Files: