The Black Pearl SAS and build | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well now that Im Elite i figured Id start a thread to document my SAS build...

100_1653.JPG

5060.JPG

0414170712~2.jpg

0906171907.jpg

1027171821.jpg

1027171926.jpg

1027171946.jpg

Screenshot_2017-05-07-23-03-06.png

Screenshot_2017-09-11-23-25-57.png

0910171104.jpg

0910171147.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thats kinda what i was thinking

Well i got the all four shocks mounted up, and the 4.88 gears for the 44 and the 9 are waiting to go in.

This last weekend i got the rear driveshaft tig welded up and mounted. For the first time in about 2 years the pearl has had full steering and power to all four wheels.

I took advantage of some of the snow last weekend and tested out the 4wd and it did pretty good i think. still a lot of work to be done, brakes kinda suck right now... but they are there haha!

Took the 28s off and threw on the 35s and had some fun for a few minutes. I took an mp4 video but cant upload it on here.
0219191804.jpg

Truck spent a day outside and started to get some surface rust on a few parts (bumper, sliders mostly) so those are going to get sent to the sandblaster here in town to get blasted and them coated.

Well a little bit of an update, I got the rearend fully welded up and ordered the Aussie Locker and master install kit for the rear, i opt'ed for the solid pinion shim upgrade, instead of the standard crush washer for $15 extra. Ordered directly from Torq Masters for $319 shipped.
aussie locker 9.jpg

I have one of the 3rd members sitting at work tore down ready for the locker and new timkin bearings that are coming in the install kit.

install kit.jpg

Got my Yukon Master Install Kit with crush sleeve eliminator kit in a few weeks ago.

What a pain in the ass it is to get those shims setup. The install kit came with two new crush sleeves and i have almost given up a few times and just threw the crush sleeve in but i know in the end the eliminator kit is a better way to go.. just a pain!
9 inch on the bench.jpg

Also picked up some new front seats for the Pearl. $100 and at least for the drivers side, i was able to retain full adjustability (minus the air system in the seats)
Seats.jpg

Update:

Well i got a hold of C&M Gear works in Springfield, Mo and they hooked me up like a tow-truck. The guy gave me a handful of shims and put them outside (they closed at 530) and didnt charge me a dime for them.

Two spacers and one 0.0045 shim and the preload is a 14 lbs-in (rotational torque) at 137 lbs-ft (pinion nut torque.)

For anyone that needs hard to find trans or differential parts, look them up. Their sales guys know what they are talking about. They will ship anywhere. They have a website and sell new/used parts. They website kinda sucks so i have always had to call them but they always get you what you need.

Cm isn't part of catt is it, the techs suck there.

Not that i know of, its a little hole in the wall shop off Chestnut. Last year they shipped me a set of D44 carrier shims, just cost me shipping. They are going to be my go-to shop from now on.

Is that the Springfield where the Simpsons live? I really want that question answered.

Is that the Springfield where the Simpsons live? I really want that question answered.

google:
"Springfield
But Simpsons creator Matt Groening did solve one of the few remaining mysteries in an interview with Smithsonian magazine: the native of Portland, Ore., revealed that the fictitious Springfield where Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie Simpson live is in fact based on a town not far from where he grew up"

So "Springfield" Oregon. Youre welcome lol

Welp got the front bumper painted up. Not great but it works for me.

0326191922.jpg

First pass with the yellow paint, I have been using the dark blue for most of the setup because I have a larger quantity of the blue.
0326191812.jpg
0326191812a.jpg

Let me know what everyone thinks. I haven't set anything in lock tight yet

This is about perfect:

013-dana60-ring-gear-wear-pattern.jpg

I would say your pattern is a little too much to the inside of the gear.

Nicely Done. I would agree with Rick, its a bit on the edge. Some would say it's okay, but I would try to move the pinion to move it more to the center. Please keep us posted.

Im re-gearing mine as well - see my link to 1997 below and I have been beating my head against the wall to get it setup correctly. Instead of the nice 'brush smudge' on the marking paint, im getting a line, even with pressure. Im probably overthinking it...ugh!

I think im getting closer, .010 at a time.

Nicely Done. I would agree with Rick, its a bit on the edge. Some would say it's okay, but I would try to move the pinion to move it more to the center. Please keep us posted.

Im re-gearing mine as well - see my link to 1997 below and I have been beating my head against the wall to get it setup correctly. Instead of the nice 'brush smudge' on the marking paint, im getting a line, even with pressure. Im probably overthinking it...ugh!

I think i'm getting closer, .010 at a time.

Yeah the crush sleeve eliminator kit was a complete pain in the a$$. Its still sitting on the bench right now and i still haven't set the bolts yet so everything can still be adjusted.

Checkout the info that "IMP" has on his 9 inch thread. I have a very good idea of what needs to be done and why, but getting a second set of opinions is never a bad thing (we maybe it is... this is the internet lmao)

Feel free to post up some pictures of your pattern, the more info people have the better for everyone, someone might have the same pattern as you and haven't found the answer yet

First pass with the yellow paint, I have been using the dark blue for most of the setup because I have a larger quantity of the blue.
View attachment 168765 View attachment 168766

Let me know what everyone thinks. I haven't set anything in lock tight yet

SO i am thinking but pulling the pinion back a bit, that should bring it closer to the middle/heel of the ring gear

I did call C&M gearworks and asked the counter guy, he said they have never seen a carrier bearing failure from being too tight. They use a spanner wrench in a ratchet and said that the spanner wrench would slip off before the bearings got too tight.

I think I will just stick with the case spread method.

@Spudhut and others listening, case spread is 0.008-0.012 for new carrier bearings

Back