The Black Pearl SAS and build | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well now that Im Elite i figured Id start a thread to document my SAS build...

100_1653.JPG

5060.JPG

0414170712~2.jpg

0906171907.jpg

1027171821.jpg

1027171926.jpg

1027171946.jpg

Screenshot_2017-05-07-23-03-06.png

Screenshot_2017-09-11-23-25-57.png

0910171104.jpg

0910171147.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I guess Duff just uses the static measure you provide, to figure the collapsed & extended rates for you? We already know you want a 10" travel at the minimum, but they do offer 12" & 15" too.

I would talk to them on the phone and ask about the shock rates before purchasing. They do sound pretty nice to me. Made in the USA baby!

Yup they have 8, 10, 12 and 15. Tech guy still isnt there today, guess he left work early today and i missed him.

Thinking the 12 shocks and limit them with straps and possibly bump stops if needed.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I would talk to them on the phone and ask about the shock rates before purchasing

That would be my next question, what shock rates would be good. I would hate to buy them and it be all wrong, but i am sure i can find something that will work without going into a $400 set up that i can have valved.

Again, "thats good enough" might play a factor in this :D

Rancho 9000 are pretty beefy shocks these days I like them on my BII
The bodies are like 2.5" around, much more capable shocks then the old 9000's and I liked them too. Fully adjustable I think they have 12-14 settings now?
I had a set of the Duff 70/30 shocks back in the day, worked well with the dual rate coils. But I did not keep the 3" lift long enough to give a good review, they rode nice and held up well
I have been running 9000's on the BII for 15+ years, 3-4 different sets now, They keep pro rating me with the lifetime warranty (4 wheel parts) 9000 have worked out well.
I have skyjacker 6" front coils and rear leafs (shackles in back no blocks, F150 spring seats in front for additional 1.25" lift) I run no sway bars I keep the rear shocks on 7 and the front on 6. Work awesome on highway and off road, largest shocks I have had on the truck.
We have fox shocks on the wifes FJ cruiser they have also held up very well and hold together. That truck has destroyed two sets of bilsteins and a set of rough countries...the fox silver bodies have been awesome for the $$$$
Happy with the Ranchos (Monroe) and Fox products as of late

Yeah I am leaning towards the ranches. If JD doesn't give me any feedback on their new ones coming out next month then I'll more than likely go with the 9000s just for the adjustability

Tires and shocks. Both can be harder to choose, than your first born's name. lol

The 9XL's will work, If you use the "No tire spin" over the "Rock bouncer" wheeling mentality.

I didn't know you could get a lifetime warranty on them. I run these 9XL's on the 94, and recently bought a replacement, after one leaked the gas. :(

I am interested in those new Eibach shocks tho. Kind of want you to get them, just so I can see them. lol

the lifetime warranty from Rancho has been awesome, I mean I bought my first set in like 1999 from 4 wheel parts....the last set cost me $100 or something like that because they had to pro rate me because the new models are more expensive/way better shock. My BII uses same shock front and back, I used F250 sock tower up front to make that so. Now I have a lifetime warranty on this set....so for 20 years of shocks I have paid like $350....not bad!
The adjusters are nice, but truth is after the first week of messing with the settings the rest of their lives they just sit at the same position

Spoke to the Tech guy at James Duff this morning.

He does not have the prototypes in yet for the MS2020 shocks but said that they should be about the same measurements of their 70/30 shocks.

Based on the numbers for the 70/30 shocks it looks like the 12" travel shocks might do the trick, assuming the MS2020s will be the same measurements Limit straps and bump stops are going to have to be used, but that was the plan all along

I also asked about the DOM that will be used, he is not sure what thickness the shock bodies will be.

Shocks and tires, shocks and tires. Your right, very difficult decisions. I have had the older style Rancho 9000's on the rear but the buttons kept getting scraped off on the trail. That was many years and many shocks ago. I understand they are completely different now. I did like the ability to adjust the dampening. Makes it nice when you load down your rig.

I have since redone the shock mounts but now have 5100 series Bilstein 70/30 on the rear and the Radflo coil overs up front. So far they are a great combo. I run 2 shocks on each side in the rear because they take away some of the on-street body roll. With one shock on each side it feels likes its going to flop on low speed sharp turns. The Radflo's have progressive dampening valves and pistons. At highway speeds (or fast trail speeds) they self-adjust for road conditions. On a winding road the body roll disappears after about 1/4 mile. I have had good luck with Bilstein shocks over the years, but I understand their quality control has been slipping lately. I got my shocks, Atlas, tires, etc. through davesoffroadsupply.com. Dave is a very cool guy, a Ultra-4 racer, and he knows off roading like only one of us would. If you email him he is good about recommending what he thinks you need, not what he sells. If you do, mention that you know me and are from the Explorerforum. I have been trying to get him to sign on as a vendor here. dave@davesoffroadsupply.com

I need to pull the rear off and measure those too.

The two rears have dents in the tubes so those need to be replaced.

On to the next TO-DO list item,

The horrible (supercharger) whine i have. Local auto parts store has a Saginaw power steering pump in stock for 68 bucks. TRS has a good writeup on them.

I installed a power steering fluid cooler. Its a small plate cooler mounted near the bottom of the radiator which, including the lines nearly doubled the system capacity. I also went back to the recommended type F ATF from Mobile 1 ATF. No more noise. Link to writeup?

@BKennedy there are a few writeups on it, and some confusing as well between fittings and having to cut/not cut the 4.0 bracket and i am still going through all of it right now trying to get a good idea of what is going on with it exactly

Didn't T-bars do a write up on the Saginaw as well? Had issues with getting air in it, and had to extend the fill neck or something like that.

Pretty sure fourosport did it too.

Yeah I've seen a few guys do it. Some go way more extreme than I plan to go.

But tapping for hydroassist would be nice in the future and having a pump with enough pressure to do the work will help

Kurts first trail run after the SAS. A Level 2 creek trail at SMORR, in the rain. This video is a tiny section of the trail somewhere in the middle of it. Takes about 1 hour or so to run it fully. Level jumps to a 3-4 in some spots.

Its been a minutes since ive updated this thread since ive been so busy with the LS swap but i have picked up a few things for the rig
received_2771105249654137.jpeg

This one kinda goes along with the LS swap since i am running a th400 and NP241. The 241 is just going to get my by for now til i switch out the the NorthWest FabWorks EcoBox and ford NP205. I set of JB fab triple sticks.
79645736_10221043828546077_6873145174906634240_o.jpg
f
79421283_10221043828306071_2491488933314035712_o.jpg

For now i am just going to remove two of the sticks and run one for the 241. Figure out where i want the single stick to sit and then trim up some spacer bushings to capture it in place.

Back