Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The Car radio has traveled a complete circle.

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Turdle, January 11, 2019.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Turdle

Turdle Has Pleasure Chamber Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Mounty
      As a kid I remember cars which had only an AM radio. My first car, was actually a car I bought from my mother which was a 1971 cougar with optional FM radio. Some had 8 track tape players which were the thing in those days so I actually spent money on an 8 track upgrade for it.
      Through the years state of the art cassette players were all the rage, then CD's hit the market which caused another marketing opportunity for high priced car stereo head units. I could not justify the high price so I had a cd walkman running on batteries plugged into the aux input of my car head unit, until the price came down and I could afford it. Good ol days.

The observation here is the fact MLB have just urchased a car with about the most expensive audio ption available for it,

it's just a radio again. No tapes, no cd's. Just radio.

Fads.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      It’s a step in the right direction. :) My phone (smallest model) can hold well over 1,000 songs. Plus for $10 a moth I can stream thousands more. I hated trying to manage cd’s.

I just swapped out my factory deck and speakers. Mine does have have a cd/dvd though. Was very needed, and the only thing I really wasn’t 100% happy with in the car.

How are the speakers in the new ride?

4. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Gone are the days of driving with your knees while thumbing through the cd wallet.

I would say the sound in the car is tuned to major bass. I have the eq turned to -4 on the bass side, highs are cranked to the max.

It could be my old ears but to me the highs are not as crisp as they could be. It's a Beats sound system. Maybe some 2 ways with a better tweeter in the dash would help, but I don't want to do the work it would involve.

5. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      I assume it has bluetooth?
      I remember when bluetooth came out I was like people are staining their teeth? What does that have to do with audio?

6. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      07 Sport Trac
      The problems of a 90's kid. I remember books of CD's in my truck. Every payday the first trip was to the music store to see what's new. Last CD I purchased was Guns n Roses greatest hits back in 2004. In 2012 when I sold my house my entire collection, thousands of dollars worth of music went to the dump. Since then everything was pirated MP3's or Itunes, and now google play music. I opted for a pioneer app radio 3 as the replacement in my sport trac after Christmas 2013. I have had no CD player for the last 5 years.

7. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      You could slap some passive crossovers in line that would cut out the lowest of the bass tones, and “brighten” up the sound.

Drive that puppy up to Ohio and I’ll throw a full tilt stereo in it, for free, and even throw in a genuine Made-in-the-USA high amp from MTX.

8. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Modified 95 XLT
      Man, Teenage flashbacks with that post Jon. Thanks for the laugh. :)

I remember shoving matchbooks under the 8 track cassette to stop the acid trip warp music, in my Pioneer Super Tuner in the 70's. Always swapping out the rear 6x9's for the next best pair. Running thru all the dash mounted "Pyramid" brand amps & led lighted passive EQ's, I could find at the flea market from that questionable vendor. Back then, you didn't know if you was living a Jacobs ladder moment, or tripping balls by osmosis, from your stoner buddy tagging along for a ride, because his Mom kicked him out, so she can have her adult only ladies night Bridge/Tupperware/Sex toy party, in peace.

80's brought us into the cassette decks, and I could afford a better system. Alpine HU, amps, & speakers rocked my cars for the next 20 years. CD players eventually took over, and incorporated DVD's.

I really dig the Concert DVD's, and am always on the look out for them, to add to the CD/DVD Wallet. My 7" HD screen, HD radio, DVD head unit, is the most high tech unit I have ever had, and am very happy with it. It has the USB ports for both Apple & Android, and can mirror the cell devices on screen. I have yet to try this for a music storage player, as I do not buy digital music stored on my cell phones, but do use the blue teeth (as 410 says) for phone calls.

I am older I guess, and I haven't bothered to figure out how to download music off the internet. I wouldn't mind that I guess, as I could store tunes on a thumbdrive, and sounds easier to deal with. I have also heard you lose sound quality compared to a studio CD. I am not that much of a sound snob, but I do like to hear the complete spectrum that was intended by the artist/studio.

Last edited: January 20, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    9. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Most of the time the rest of your stereo components make telling the difference between a studio CD and a decent digital option nil. If you use 320kbps it should be equivalent or better than CD quality. I think 128kbps is considered “radio” quality.

Digital is nice, sometimes, and you can also fit a substantial amount of music on a DVD ( I used to use DVDs for band discographies)

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    10. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Lots of good memories, thanks. I had my first stereo in my first car(72 Gran Torino), using a simple $35 cassette deck. I put it in on what has been the coldest night ever here, 24 below, in about 1980 I think. I sat in the car until after midnight putting it in, engine running, and next day checked the anti-freeze(used, only good to 10 below). I loved that car and the two door speakers were all I needed. An old(now) PA200 amp with 30w/ch was louder than anyone could yell next to the car. I should use that amp again some day.

I miss the CD player I have in my 99(not running), it plays CD-r's, I have a couple with 150+ songs on them. Those were the best for a CD player, next to thumb drive inputs with huge song lists.

11. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      I still have one of my first decks. It’s about 20 years old, rock solid, it’s been in 5 cars (3 Explorers) and still works great. Gotta love that old made in America quality.

12. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
    13. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Anyone remember these? Bulletproof Pioneer KP-500 under dash AM/FM cassette.
      Add a 100 watt "booster" with 6x9 triaxials and you were rockin'.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    14. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    15. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    16. allmyEXes

allmyEXes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      No. Alabama USA
      '97 Merc "MO" the 5.0
      Callsign:
      KAGG 3611
      I have 3 of the old cassette Super Tuners with hopes of making two working ones. I suppose "blank" cassette tapes are still available. The last time that I ran my TEAC dual deck (120 volt AC) tape duplicator the drive "rubber bands" broke or were already broke. It seems as though heat and time did this to them. I need drive bands. Anyone know of a source?

17. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I can help you with blank tapes, I have most of a case of Maxell 90's somewhere.

18. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      My newest aftermarket deck in my vehicles is from like 2012. It sure doesn't sound as good as my old 2000s high end Alpine I had in high school or I'm just getting older.

I recently bought a new pioneer deck for my focus mainly to upgrade to Bluetooth but after a month ripped it out and put an oem Navi setup in out of a freestyle. The Navi sucks (it's on a 2012 update) but the sound, function and load time ect is all better. Plus one of my local stations is 87.7, not many aftermarket units go to it (pioneer and kenwood sure don't) but the OE Ford unit does. I run an adapter for my aux input but really want Bluetooth but the adapters are wishy washy.

19. allmyEXes

allmyEXes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      No. Alabama USA
      '97 Merc "MO" the 5.0
      Callsign:
      KAGG 3611
      These seem like an ok deal...
      Lot of (7) Sealed Maxell UR 90 Minute Audio Cassette Tapes! | eBay
      I used to make all of my own cassettes off of my Albums. My Technics SLQ3 was indirectly hooked up to my TEAC Dual deck. My Album collection started in 1978 with Van Halen and Rush and my High School friend had lots of albums that I didn't have. I wore out many a tape without putting too much time on the original albums. I still have the albums and the SLQ3 and if you look on Ebay they people are asking good money for them.

20. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      That's a good deal. Those are a lower level model, I think mine were about $45 for the case, in the early 80's. I'd take $10 for my spares if I knew where they were buried LOL.

• Like Like x 1
    21. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      outside shovelling snow
      ................ 96 XLT ™
      I think I have a few blank cassettes in my "junk" boxes...

22. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      I converted some old audiobooks from tape the digital. Still couldn’t handle the terrible quality.