The case of the locked drivers door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The case of the locked drivers door

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
On a recent trip to Georgia, after trying to get back in my 99, I found the drivers side door would not open. The electric locks worked with the switch inside, with the keypad outside and with the remote, the darn door just won't open.

I think that the katch mechanism is beokem, but am not sure, Any thoughts.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ever see Dukes of hazard? hahahaha! just kidding..

Man thats tough, you need to get the door panel off to have a look in there but that could be really hard with teh door closed.

Have you talked to a dealer?

Maybe a slim jim could get it open because it grabs the actual mechanism. I am assuming your linkage has come apart inside the door......

Your saying it won't open using either handle (inside or outside)? It sounds like the rod from the lock seolnoid fell off. :frustrate: Like 410 mentioned, you'll need to remove the door pannel to fix it. I haven't tried it on an X, but I have removed a door panel on a Honda with the door shut. You'll want to remove the driver's seat so you can get at it, then just remove the screws and try to get the panel to lift off. Don't know if it will work, but you can try.

I just thought of something! Did you try the key? The lock cylinder in the door is attached directly to the latch. It shouldn't be affected by the power accuator. If you can't open the door with the key, then the problem is with the striker, not the lock.

Mike, thanks for the reply' I do indeed value your opinions.

Yes, I tried the key too.

I am gonna pull it apart in the morning.

UPDATE

Well this morning I attempted to get the door panel odd with the door closed. This proved to be a not so easy task; however, I managed to get it loose and was able to pull it back far enough from the top of door to be able to reach the release and open the door.

The problem turns out to be a bad latch.

Off to Ford to fetch another,,,,,,,

All back together and working fine. What a pain in the rear that job was.....

Glad to hear you didn't have to take it to the dealer, and fixed it yourself.:D

Back