The cheapest, most creative lift for 1st Gen. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The cheapest, most creative lift for 1st Gen.

Webster3

Mr. Ed
Reaction score
City, State
Atco, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
What is the cheapest, most creative way you've come up with or heard of to lift a 1st generation Explorer?

I'm asking specifically about suspension lifts, and if you have one how much lift did you get and how much did you spend?

You could also throw in what size tires you were able to fit if you like.

Not only would this be fun to hear, but could be an education to those of us who want to lift for less! :redexp:

Thanks!

Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am interested in this as well. I have recently posted a few threads on this subject, but not quite worded as well as yours. What I was told was coil spacers and addaleafs w/shackles would get around 2" inches of lift. I currently have 31" tires on and the total lift should be around 3.5". The cost for the coil spacers and adda leaf is 80, not bad. Shackles I don't know yet.

I am going to lift my93 sport in January.

Cheapest way you guys can go with a simple and cheap lift is Coil Spacer in the front, and shackles in the back all that for under 100 bucks.
Right now I'm running 1in raised coils from performance products and coil spacer in the front. In the rear running rancho add-a-leaf and james duff shackles. To me that balanced out the truck to run the 31 with no problem, but I wanted to run bigger tires so I when with a 3in body lift on top of that and run 32 bfg all terrian with minor triming.
A simple lift but it works

The cheapest lift is a 1" body lift that can be gained from 10 Hockey Pucks and 2 longer bolts :D

Only problem is that the pucks deteriorate quicker than normal body lift spacers...but that would be the CHEAPEST way to do it ;)

body lifts are not great to begin with.... homemade ones are just plain idiotic, the extra few bucks you save isnt worth the risk of injury......

coils/spacers up front 2" shackles and add a leaf 2-3"

thats it without drop down brackets for suspension members .....

EdThe cheapest lift is a 1" body lift that can be gained from 10 Hockey Pucks and 2 longer bolts

Well, that certainly falls into the category of creative! But I'm thinking suspension lifts in this case.... you hockey puck! ;)

coil spacers and shackels + a 3" body lift and perry's fenders up front should give you room fer 35"s (minor sawzall work maybe required) ;)

The cheap way to get the coil spacers woud be to rip them off an F150 at a junk yard....:D

They are only 16 bucks a peice from ford, how much cheaper you want them?

Originally posted by EXPLODER-1
They are only 16 bucks a peice from ford, how much cheaper you want them?
Hey, he wanted the CHEAPEST
way......

Originally posted by Webster3
What is the cheapest, most creative way you've come up with or heard of to lift a 1st generation Explorer?

coil spacers??

Is there a specific year F150 to get the coil spacers from? I would hate to go to the ford store and get asked "what year?" and say "I dunno..."

Thanks fellas...

Can you use the leaves out of the 150 for the rear? Will that balance out with the spacers? I'm also curious about the year on the 150.

Ed

Rear springs, probably not. But here is the part numbers for the spacers, they are actually f-150 coil seats from a 97 2 wheel drive, but they work great.
part #'s
F2TZ-5A307-A
F2TZ-5A307-B

For the rear you can use an add a leaf kit available from 4wheel parts. The one I used was an explorer pro-comp, about 34.00's to your door.

Does this qualify? $15.29

Attachments

• craftsman jack.jpg
    craftsman jack.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,829

good question

You asked a damn good question man. I am always lookin for a cheep way out but a safe way out. For the hockey puck idea 4 get it. I had a 91 b4 my 91 and did the hockey puck stuff.One day i was doing a little bit o frock crawling nothing fancy just fun , and i got shot up in a verticle stance and my body actaully broke free and slid off the bak end.SO DONT DO IT LERN FROM MY MISTAKE.
Thanks for askin the ??? tho it helped me

I know you're talking suspension lift but since the hockey puck thing was brought up I'll offer up an alternative to that. My friend bought some aluminum solid stock and cut it to whatever amount of body lift he wanted (don't know off the top of my head). Drilled a hole in the center and mounted them. He's had them in there for years and never had a problem. He used a heavy duty dirt bike inner tube and cut circles in it as an isolator between the aluminum and the body.

Khris

i got the ebay budget lift coil spacers, add a leaf, and i also bought warrior shackles. I figured i would do it all at once. On ebay he offers procomp es3000 shocks to go with the set. I bought the shocks and put them on they seem much SHORTER then stock and the shock is maxed out. Has anyone had this problem? Did he give me the wrong size?

So if I were to go with the coil spacers from the F150 and the add-a-leaf for the rear, would things balance out ok? My butt won't be sagging will it?

Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be okay with that combo, for those that have added shackles too, the rear shocks will top out, the aal, and shackle combo gives you around 3 inches of lift.

Kontinu1- the shocks he sent you were for 0-2 inches of lift, when you added shackles you went closer to 3+ inches making them too short.

Back