The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread

Tracking now boss. Your issue is the pinning of the trans harness into the motor harness. Thats a different beast all together. Best bet is 98 trans harness and repin for 99 trans plug. I just did that to mine tonight after reading this thread and oh boy its a whole new truck. I cant wait to do the 4406 swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome I cant believe im happy that I screwed up. What did you do with the extra wires?

Thanks guys im sorry for all the confussion I will do this over the weekend and let you all know how it turns out.

I taped them off. The way mine ended up was having two extra power wires so I just capped them and taped them back into the harness. I suppose if you wanted to clean it up right you could take the 3 power wires the 98 would have and run them into the 1 that the 99 has

Hey guys still haven't got it on the road. I have been told it may well be due to my lack of a speed sensor. I have been real busy helping my friend with his explorers and my wife's explorer also had issues. This is the start of my busy season but money is soo tight rite now im not sure when I'll be able to get whatever I need to finish this but im not giving up! Mostly because this is actually my d/d and i really miss it!

Sucks to have to put it on the back burner, my 5.0 ranger is kind of in the same spot right now

You guys hurry up! I will be home next week to try to get this thing running and am counting on one or both of you to solve my problem(s).

My remaining issue is that I am not getting a signal (grounds) from the PCM to the individual injectors. Engine runs fine on starter fluid.

Tried to disable PATS in the original '00 PCM with a custom tune, no cigar. Shutting down the injectors is what the software security system does.

Replaced original PATS '00 PCM with a '96/'97 unit and have the same issue.

The 96/97 wiring is way different. Check your pinouts and I bet you are in for a surprise. I know to use the 99 and up stuff you need wiring harness and injectors. So to use the 97 and earlier stuff you probably need to year match the injectors and harness

hurry up? mines running and driving? just ironing out the bugs with it lol

Hate to rehash earlier discussions but I have slept several times since this thread started.

I am running a '00 engine/trans/harness/injectors with the only change from completely original being the late to early PCM replacement. Comparison of the connector faces and circuit descriptions of the PCM, found in post 27, would seem to indicate that the late to early PCM connections are backward compatible but perhaps the early PCM connections are not forward compatible.

I just know that any minute someone is going to post the simple answer to this problem.

As far as I know (very limited) you need to run the late PCM due to fuel psi changes and whatnot. The injector pulse width is way smaller on the newer computers due to having 65psi to play with vs the older stuff at 45psi tops. Your best bet is to make sure your tuner turned off PATS. That happens more than you think that they forget about it.

Also the signal from the older style cam sync is different so that older computer would be looking for a different signal than the newer one is giving. Could be the issue. Computer has no clue where the timing is at so it doesnt fire the injectors?

In post #26 delexplorer has a late sensor running with an early PCM. My analysis of the electrical schematics tell me that the signal input is the same, certainly on the same PCM lead per the pinouts on post 27. The difference is that the early sensor was powered and the later sensor was a Hall effect signal generator.

My tuner, and the SCT tech support conform that the 'tune' turned off PATS but my injectors do not get the message.

ever think your pcm is bad?

Yes, I have. That is why I bought a second PCM and am getting the same result. Perhaps it is something else.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Lmao im running a 97 pcm with 98 motor harness injectors and cam syncro. The 98 cam syncro is the older style. Im gonna try to scrape up some cash and get 97 harnesses both motor and tranny and try to also get a t case with the vss and maybe then it will run rite.

I wonder if there is anyway to test the signal out of the pcm? I am sure you can I am just not sure what you are looking for as a signal. But I suppose if you get any signal its a start

The injector signals from the PCM are grounds. The injectors are powered by the start/run circuit and mine have B+ standing at the injectors. My PCM is not providing the ground signals to the 8 circuits through the wiring harness, which is original and undisturbed. It would, indeed, appear that the PCM is not operating even though all identified power leads and grounds to the PCM have been verified . . . at least to the harness side of the C202 connector and the PCM has been replaced.

Here is the C202 with battery and ground leads identified. I have verified each at the harness side of the connector by pushing pins through the color coded wires and by testing the pins themselves at the connector.

FordElectricalpg25-8.jpg

This is getting confusing fast. I am still leaning towards something wrong with the tuner.

You think you are confused . . . .

. . . I've been working on this for 5 months!

I have another restoration project to keep me busy so I'm really not complaining, but would really like to get this thing running sooner or later.

Both James Hinson, this forum's premier tuner, and SCT Tech Support say that the software tune is correct. I do not get the responses I think I should when loading the tune to the PCM and it certainly does not unlock the injectors. Replacing the original '00 PCM with the early pre-PATS PCM provides the same result.

James has suggested adding the PATS module, which takes the signal from the barrel around the coded key and translates it to the PCM authorization to unlock the injectors. I did that, no cigar. That module must be programmed by Ford's WWD to match the PCM . . . and the key. Since I have neither the valid key, nor the valid PATS module that is a lost cause.

Either I am missing a critical ground to the PCM, the second PCM is bad, or some other mystical issue is evolved.

There is one other issue that I think is usually not critical, except for swaps into older Fords. The VSS signal used by the PCM is not always the same or from the same source. I read about this 2-3 years ago when researching AC controller swaps(putting the EATC into Rangers etc).

I can't remember the details, but I recall that the later EATC and PCM receive the VSS signal from the ABS module, not from the rear end or trans. I forgot the purposes of the ABS module being part of the VSS circuit, but the 96/97 PCM I think is straight forward in receiving the VSS from the trans directly.

Since nothing else seems to be helping or turning up the answers, please look more carefully at the VSS wiring. Follow how it runs for both 96/97, and 98/99-01 Explorers. It's worth a look.

I'm going to have to go through these things too when I swap the Explorer system into my 91 Lincoln. Since my car has no rear diff VSS, I think I'll start with a 96/97 PCM and use the VSS from the trans.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a little update. Just got home from a 360 mile round trip ride down to boominxplorer in VA beach. Got a t case with a speed sensor.

Back