The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread

Got a little time with it last night and got the wiring in place for the speed sensor. Im gonna swap the cases tonight and see what happens so everyone cross your fingers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What transmission are you using and what case are you replacing?

Still a 99 trans just got a 96/97 transfer case so I would have a vss witch I wired directly to the pcm and that didn't work so im back to the books to try to figure out where to go next

Ok goin to the shop tonight to try and figure it out. Any ideas on how to run the wires? Im gonna swap the gem back to the 97 4x4 cause that's the only one I have for that year so im sure the 4x4 lights will be on and i need to know where the vss wires need to go prior to the pcm. Do they go to the gem for the conversion?

looking for advice

i have a 2001 sport trac i have recently installed a 2001 explorer 5.0
i have diasbale pats with a diablo tunner but i still cant get it to crank
i was told that all wireing should match up. i was wondering is there any details i left out from my swap? what are some thing that i should check?

The first thing I would check is if you are getting injector operation. The injectors are powered when the ignition key is on and the PCM provides a ground to operate them. If you are not getting fuel then my guess is that you have not really disabled PATS. Blocking injection operation is exactly what PATS does.

That is my problem. My car starts instantly on starter fluid and has pressure on the fuel rail, just doesn't run. Neither myself, James Hinson the forum's Explorer tuning guru nor the SCT tech support could make this thing work.

I got so frustrated with it that I put it down to work on another project car.

I shall return.

Id like to know how it all works, With my setup I wanna change from a 98 and down return style fuel system to a 99 and up returnless but to run it correctly I need the computer for it and dont wanna deal with PATS

Yea I gave up trying to mix and match on my swap im just making every thing 97 and i would never go non return from a return system but if that's what you wanna do im pretty sure all you need is the pump rails and injectors cause ive had mine running both ways

I have a 97, but the fuel system is 98 and down

So ive ran into a few issues. I swear my trans harness is crap. Im failing all 4 heater circuits for 02 sensors along with just random 02 sensor codes (rear two are unhooked and front two are brand new). So for 50 bucks I am going to try a new harness. I got one for a 2000 being that my trans is a 2000. Anyone know if the pins are the same to the pcm on a 97? if not this may be the push I need to do the 2000 swap as far as harness and computer. I can work around pats

The C202 (PCM) pinout for both early and late harnesses is in post #27. There are only 6 or 7 differences and 4 of those have to do with the later transmission DTR switch.

How are you going to work around PATS?

I cant read a wiring diagram to barely save my life

I dont know, but it has to be able to be done. I mean really all it is is a signal from the PATS module. There has to be a way to replicate it

The post #27 is not a schematic but a numbered list of pins and a description of their functions for both early and late harnesses.

No, where PATS is involved there doesn't have to be a way to replicate it.

PATS is software in the PCM. If it doesn't receive the matching key code it is not going to start . . . period. The only way it appears that the security system can be bypassed is by loading a custom tune disabling PATS through a programing device such as the SCT 3015 and I can't even do that.

Well I will just use non pats stuff then. I just have to make a 2000 trans harness work on a 97 engine harness

Post #31 has the pin connections for both the early and late transmission to wiring harness connectors. They obviously do not match. That is where I would probably start swapping pins.

Well I did that to make the 97 harness fit the 2000 trans. The current issue is going to be a 2000 trans, 2000 harness into a 97 engine harness

sorry for butting in but i need help with wiring. i want to put a explorer 5.0 in my 64 f100. I do have a complete 96 5.0 setup but it is a awd. Will a tranny out of a 96 3.8 mustang work. And can i just run new wires from the 43 pin block. witch wire are run start and fuel pump. or should i just try to use the complete harness out of the explorer. will use explore fuel pump and return line what is the best way DO NOT WANT TO RUN A CARB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Several comments:

A '96 Explorer engine requires a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to manage the fuel, fuel injection, injection timing, spark timing, etc. and I suspect that means that you are going to have to use the complete wiring harness of the Explorer.

You are going to have to make the F100 wiring match the requirements of the '96.

The wiring harness on the '96 has a 42 pin connector to the engine/ transmission / PCM wiring harness that you are going to have to satisfy. That pin out is found in post #3 of this thread.

My installation of this engine/trans/PCM in an old Volvo is not a lot different than your F100. All you have to do is add all the things I did. See my wiring trials in this thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250604

Questions? Just post back.

Back