Solved - The E-4WD light is flashing 3 times. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved The E-4WD light is flashing 3 times.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

ERIC ROTH

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Aerostar 4wd
Hi...I have a 96 4.0l 4WD aerostar. Anybody know why the 4WD code would flash 3 times. I just bought the vehicle so no idea if 4wd engages. Any other tips appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after much searching I figured out the speed sensors are on top of the differentials. My code said front speed sensor had a problem. I crawled under the car and found both differentials. Sure enough the sensor for the front wheels was unplugged. I plugged it back in and viola. For those who are challenged like me...lol.... the differentials are the two smaller cases attached to the transmission. The front differential has a shaft going to the front axle and the rear differential has a shaft going to the rear axles. There is a wire with plugs going to both of them!

So after much searching I figured out the speed sensors are on top of the differentials. My code said front speed sensor had a problem. I crawled under the car and found both differentials. Sure enough the sensor for the front wheels was unplugged. I plugged it back in and viola. For those who are challenged like me...lol.... the differentials are the two smaller cases attached to the transmission. The front differential has a shaft going to the front axle and the rear differential has a shaft going to the rear axles. There is a wire with plugs going to both of them!
Thanks for posting an update.

Back