Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The everything Aviator thread.

Discussion in 'Ford Lincoln Mercury' started by AviatorGuy, March 16, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Chlorine

Chlorine New Member

City, State:
      Omaha, Ne
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 XR7
      Prerunning, I know this is over a month old, but the front impact sensor is on a metal bracket mounted to the lower radiator support behind the front bumper.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=B742...A5C8!5178&parId=B7421439B96CA5C8!5177&o=OneUp

The part number 14B006 is shared with the Explorer, but the side impact sensors are a different part number. I agree the wording seems vague on whether it needs to be replaced, mentioning only looking for deformation of the bracket or wiring pigtail.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Prerunning

Prerunning New Member

City, State:
      SoCal
      04 Lincoln Aviator AWD
    4. Prerunning

Prerunning New Member

City, State:
      SoCal
      04 Lincoln Aviator AWD
      Sorry guys, I definitely intended to have started on the engine work by now but unfortunately I was rear ended on my motorcycle and am still walking with a cane at 26 years old. I'd guess about 2 more months before I start the engine and trans work. I did get the new bumper and hood installed before the accident but that's about it. Last time I updated I was still looking for new airbags. I've found those and they are waiting to be installed. I drove the truck about 250 miles to my new house in Arizona and she did great. The o ringed trans servo will be my first project because it has the typical flare on 1 shift. The truck has 177k on it but the trans was replaced by ford at 90 so I want to prevent a similar situation. Much love from Arizona.

5. FreeIndeed

FreeIndeed New Member

City, State:
      Iowa
      2004 Ford Aviator
      Well, my wife's 04 Aviator just took a major dump and we're going to sell as-is instead of fix it. It needs front end galore: ball joints, hubs, transfer case. Anyone have any idea what I should list it for on Craigslist? We bought it a few years back for 5K. Pick and pull is a whopping $350. It broke near Springfield MO, where it sits a ta friends house but I'm in another state, so that complicates things. But I just have no idea what I should list it for. IDeas?

6. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      They sell for around and under $1,000 here..as much as is wrong with yours i wouldnt ask much

7. dmbaile2

dmbaile2 New Member

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      2005 Lincoln Aviator AWD
      Hello all,

I am extremely happy that I have found this thread. I am in a bit of a situation… I impulse bought a 2005 Aviator. When I bought the car I was struck by its low mileage and the condition of the vehicle. I assumed (incorrectly) that I was buying a re-badged v8 explorer.

After reading this thread, I am starting to get freaked out. What did I get myself into!? I purchased the vehicle back in September and we have enjoyed it quite a lot. Somehow, it doesn’t have a thing wrong with it, which for these cars sounds rare.. It does have the crack in the rear hatch, but everything else is 100% functional in the vehicle.

I bought it with 88k miles on it in September, the previous owner had the transmission rebuilt in June so that should be good for a while... We have enjoyed the vehicle, I like the power but the fuel economy is less than I expected. Averaging 12-13mpg around town and 16mpg on the highway. This thread has a wealth of information but it has my head spinning. And I am hoping you all can help me out with a few questions.

My first question is simple, I changed the oil in my aviator yesterday and I put the recommended 6qts in it but it appears to be overfilled. How much oil do you put in your vehicles? And does anyone know the torque spec for the oil drain plug? I can’t find that info anywhere.

Secondly, I understand that various things in the interior of these vehicles will need attention over time however that doesn’t bother me very much. I am more concerned about the motor and drivetrain. The trans has been rebuilt so I am going to have to assume that is good for now. But as I understand from this thread it looks like these motors have some issues associated with the heads? And I have also read about the transfer cases going out. Is there any preventative maintenance or modifications that I can make now in hopes of making these two items more reliable? My wife drives my daughter around in the vehicle so I want it to be reliable… Ultimately if this isn’t the right car for us I want to make that determination now so that I can sell it while it has nothing wrong with it and get us into something else…

Any help appreciated.

I will attach some pics of the vehicle. I think someone took good care of it, it even came with the original headphones for the DVD player! Impressive.

Images
      Attach21607_20170925_180120

Attach21606_20170925_180120

Attach21611_20170925_180120

8. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      I always put 4qts in and start checking the level, i honestly cant remember how many mine takes but i like mine to be right past the full mark slightly. .these motor heads hold alot of oil meaning they dont drain the oil back down fast especially when turning higher rpms..this can cause the pump to go dry..typically the normal person never has to worry about this,its more for those that turn alot of rpms..the Mustang guys have this issue alot (same motor)..so if its just slightly over full i wouldnt worry about it..

I dont know the tq for the drain..

As for the problem with the heads...you have the DC cast heads,they are the BEST heads ford ever made..they really haven't had many if any issues. .the DB heads in 03-04 still have the loose seat and guide issues even though they were said to be ""updated"", it wasnt fixed till late 04 with the DC cast heads..

9. dmbaile2

dmbaile2 New Member

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      2005 Lincoln Aviator AWD
      Mine was manufactured 12/04. Do I for sure have the good heads? Is there any way I can check?

10. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Look on the side of the head,the cast will wnd in DC or DB..DB are not bad heads just prone to seats coming loose..

I could see mine through the driver side fender well.. 00Z0Z_atWiPnDWcMj_600x450.jpg

11. dmbaile2

dmbaile2 New Member

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      2005 Lincoln Aviator AWD
      Thank you, I was just able to verify my heads are stamped DC.

12. dmbaile2

dmbaile2 New Member

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      2005 Lincoln Aviator AWD
      Does anyone have a running list of aviator parts that are discontinued / no longer manufactured by Ford or a third party? I ask because I found an aviator that is being parted out locally and think I might go take a look. It sounds like the Intake Manifold Runner Control would be a good thing to snatch up cheap if it is still on the vehicle. Anything else?

Thanks!

13. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Change all of the fluids that you don't know of their age. The transfer case is reliable when the fluid is changed properly. With poor mileage, I'd figure a tune up will help a lot. Replace the plugs, wires, and O2 sensors, if you don't know how old they are. Same for the rubber hoses, idler pulleys, belt etc. A low mileage vehicle doesn't mean it's perfect, and often the parts are old.

My newest Lincoln Mark VII(1992) only has 53k miles, after I drove it home 380 miles. It looks to have the original plug wires and all hoses etc. The seller kept mentioning how original it is, I was hearing "needs a bunch of work", regardless of whether everything works now or not. My Lincoln needs lock actuators, window felts(makes the actuators go bad), radiator, plugs/wires, all hoses, idler pulleys, all fluids and filters, T'stat, and an unknown front suspension part(worn BJ etc, likely everything needs to go).
      1992 Lincoln Mark Series | eBay

Enjoy that Aviator, I often wished I had bought one. Take great care of it, and it'll last a long time.

14. edward jollimore

edward jollimore New Member

City, State:
      Mansfield Ma
      2004 lincoln aviator
      hey all im new here ,,is this forum still active ??anyone here ?? i own a 04 aviator 180,000 miles running strong but some issues popping up with the infamous misfire code in #1

15. Prerunning

Prerunning New Member

City, State:
      SoCal
      04 Lincoln Aviator AWD
      Its still active but they only made 75k so there dying out. I had the misfire on mine as well but when i switched the coils to different cylinders the code stayed on the same cylinder. I never felt a misfire or had poor performance but the check engine light is still on today

16. Prerunning

Prerunning New Member

City, State:
      SoCal
      04 Lincoln Aviator AWD
      Im parting out my 04 Aviator If anyone needs any parts hmu. The engine runs perfect has 178k trans has 80k but flares a bit this aviator has every option let me know what you need located near laughlin

17. krab03

krab03 New Member

2004 Lincoln Aviator
      Just picked up an '04 Aviator with 97K miles, one owner, non-smoker. Love how this thing rides, and it's pretty plush for an SUV that's 14 years old. It's silver with the tan interior, really like the captains chairs for the second row, and how easy they are to flip forward to get access to the third row. The weekend I bought it I replaced the wiper blades with new Bosch Icons, recharged the AC, and replaced one of the rear door lock pulls with a matching set. Also worked on some surface rust on the roof, and some rust along the bottom of the rear hatch. Took a wire brush to them, wiped them down with brake cleaner, then put on a couple of coats of bedliner paint. Also drilled some holes in the plastic trim piece that the rear hatch contacts, in the hope that any water that accumulates there will drain to the ground, and not cause any more rust.

Couple of annoying things: cruise doesn't work; driver's side rear passenger door window doesn't work; heated / cooled seats don't work; only functions that work on driver's seat is lumbar and forward / aft movement, no up / down or tilt; heat / ac control for rear seat passengers doesn't appear to work either. I suppose it could be worse for being 14 years old. The body and interior are in fantastic shape, paint still shines, no rips or tears in the leather; headliner is tight and not sagging; no carpet stains; no dash cracks; 3rd row seat looks like it's never been used; and it has some kind of 17" split spoke wheels (doesn't look like they're OEM). Put on a new set of tires, 255/65 Cooper Discoverer RTX, gives it the bigger, more aggressive AT look I wanted, better than the 245/65 all-seasons that were on there before. Have a new set of KYB gas shocks getting installed next week, and have a set of in-channel vent visors on the way.

Definitely don't see too many of these on the road, see more Navigators than Aviators, that's for sure. I'm hoping this SUV will give us years and miles of dependable service, without breaking the bank on maintenance and upkeep.

• Like Like x 1
    18. CorbinDallas

CorbinDallas Member

City, State:
      Calgary
      1996 5.0 EB/2005 Aviator
      Check your fuses under the dash

19. krab03

krab03 New Member

2004 Lincoln Aviator
      Checked ALL of those little fuses, and there's a LOT of them, lol! They're all good...

20. krab03

krab03 New Member

2004 Lincoln Aviator
      Finally got around to cleaning the wheels. 3 of them cleaned up pretty nicely, but the driver's front had some minor pitting from the buildup of brake dust. I'm going to try and post a picture of the wheels, and would appreciate if someone could tell me if they're OEM wheels, and what vehicle they came off of, so I can get the width and offset specs.

Being an Atari guy in a Play Station world, I can't figure out how to post pics in here. The icon in the tool bar wants a picture URL, which I don't have since they're only on my computer, and don't see where I can add or insert an image from my computer. Do I have to be a paid member to have that ability?

Last edited: October 10, 2018 at 8:30 PM
    21. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      When you open the reply box, do you have three choices at the bottom, the middle one being "Upload a File?" If not then you will have to upload the picture to a website that hosts pictures, and use the URL with the right tool at the top of the reply box.