Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The everything Aviator thread.

Discussion in 'Ford Lincoln Mercury' started by AviatorGuy, March 16, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. dmbaile2

dmbaile2 New Member

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2005 Lincoln Aviator AWD
      Does anyone have a running list of aviator parts that are discontinued / no longer manufactured by Ford or a third party? I ask because I found an aviator that is being parted out locally and think I might go take a look. It sounds like the Intake Manifold Runner Control would be a good thing to snatch up cheap if it is still on the vehicle. Anything else?

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Change all of the fluids that you don't know of their age. The transfer case is reliable when the fluid is changed properly. With poor mileage, I'd figure a tune up will help a lot. Replace the plugs, wires, and O2 sensors, if you don't know how old they are. Same for the rubber hoses, idler pulleys, belt etc. A low mileage vehicle doesn't mean it's perfect, and often the parts are old.

My newest Lincoln Mark VII(1992) only has 53k miles, after I drove it home 380 miles. It looks to have the original plug wires and all hoses etc. The seller kept mentioning how original it is, I was hearing "needs a bunch of work", regardless of whether everything works now or not. My Lincoln needs lock actuators, window felts(makes the actuators go bad), radiator, plugs/wires, all hoses, idler pulleys, all fluids and filters, T'stat, and an unknown front suspension part(worn BJ etc, likely everything needs to go).
      1992 Lincoln Mark Series | eBay

Enjoy that Aviator, I often wished I had bought one. Take great care of it, and it'll last a long time.

4. edward jollimore

edward jollimore New Member

City, State:
      Mansfield Ma
      2004 lincoln aviator
      hey all im new here ,,is this forum still active ??anyone here ?? i own a 04 aviator 180,000 miles running strong but some issues popping up with the infamous misfire code in #1

5. Prerunning

Prerunning New Member

City, State:
      SoCal
      04 Lincoln Aviator AWD
      Its still active but they only made 75k so there dying out. I had the misfire on mine as well but when i switched the coils to different cylinders the code stayed on the same cylinder. I never felt a misfire or had poor performance but the check engine light is still on today

6. Prerunning

Prerunning New Member

City, State:
      SoCal
      04 Lincoln Aviator AWD
      Im parting out my 04 Aviator If anyone needs any parts hmu. The engine runs perfect has 178k trans has 80k but flares a bit this aviator has every option let me know what you need located near laughlin

7. krab03

krab03 New Member

2004 Lincoln Aviator
      Just picked up an '04 Aviator with 97K miles, one owner, non-smoker. Love how this thing rides, and it's pretty plush for an SUV that's 14 years old. It's silver with the tan interior, really like the captains chairs for the second row, and how easy they are to flip forward to get access to the third row. The weekend I bought it I replaced the wiper blades with new Bosch Icons, recharged the AC, and replaced one of the rear door lock pulls with a matching set. Also worked on some surface rust on the roof, and some rust along the bottom of the rear hatch. Took a wire brush to them, wiped them down with brake cleaner, then put on a couple of coats of bedliner paint. Also drilled some holes in the plastic trim piece that the rear hatch contacts, in the hope that any water that accumulates there will drain to the ground, and not cause any more rust.

Couple of annoying things: cruise doesn't work; driver's side rear passenger door window doesn't work; heated / cooled seats don't work; only functions that work on driver's seat is lumbar and forward / aft movement, no up / down or tilt; heat / ac control for rear seat passengers doesn't appear to work either. I suppose it could be worse for being 14 years old. The body and interior are in fantastic shape, paint still shines, no rips or tears in the leather; headliner is tight and not sagging; no carpet stains; no dash cracks; 3rd row seat looks like it's never been used; and it has some kind of 17" split spoke wheels (doesn't look like they're OEM). Put on a new set of tires, 255/65 Cooper Discoverer RTX, gives it the bigger, more aggressive AT look I wanted, better than the 245/65 all-seasons that were on there before. Have a new set of KYB gas shocks getting installed next week, and have a set of in-channel vent visors on the way.

Definitely don't see too many of these on the road, see more Navigators than Aviators, that's for sure. I'm hoping this SUV will give us years and miles of dependable service, without breaking the bank on maintenance and upkeep.

• Like Like x 1
    8. CorbinDallas

CorbinDallas Member

City, State:
      Calgary
      1996 5.0 EB/2005 Aviator
      Check your fuses under the dash

9. krab03

krab03 New Member

2004 Lincoln Aviator
      Checked ALL of those little fuses, and there's a LOT of them, lol! They're all good...

10. krab03

krab03 New Member

2004 Lincoln Aviator
      Finally got around to cleaning the wheels. 3 of them cleaned up pretty nicely, but the driver's front had some minor pitting from the buildup of brake dust. I'm going to try and post a picture of the wheels, and would appreciate if someone could tell me if they're OEM wheels, and what vehicle they came off of, so I can get the width and offset specs.

Being an Atari guy in a Play Station world, I can't figure out how to post pics in here. The icon in the tool bar wants a picture URL, which I don't have since they're only on my computer, and don't see where I can add or insert an image from my computer. Do I have to be a paid member to have that ability?

Last edited: October 10, 2018
    11. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      When you open the reply box, do you have three choices at the bottom, the middle one being "Upload a File?" If not then you will have to upload the picture to a website that hosts pictures, and use the URL with the right tool at the top of the reply box.

12. Prerunning

Prerunning New Member

City, State:
      SoCal
      04 Lincoln Aviator AWD
      If I remember correctly they only came with 2 different rims. The ugly crown Victoria style and the chrome ones that look a lot better.